Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 12-06-2005, 06:07 AM   #1
Shinigami
Regular User

Default (hope it's not old) Z06 vs Viper articles

Found these while browsing some other forums.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=2

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

I0ve read quite a few stories about the Viper being somewhat scary to drive in some conditions (spinning out on the highway etc...). Apparently (according to some articles), the Z06 is even more prone to this, for example it only got a 6/10 for handling, whilst a Viper got 10/10...

Ok, I don't know if this is true, I haven't tried either car, and it may simple be remedied via some tweaking of the suspension etc...

But this does leave me with one question. Namely, the vette scene is suposedly larger then the viper scene. The Z06 is also quite cheap. Thus, more people will buy this new Z06, which might result in a surge in accidents related to new owners losing control of the car.

What's your take on this? I'm not saying it'll happen, in fact, I hope it doesn't (it sucks to crash a car, nevermind the fact that the driver/passenger risks losing their life too). But sometimes sh1t happens =\
Old 12-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Default Re: (hope it's not old) Z06 vs Viper articles

Originally Posted by Shinri_Shiogami
Old news already posted

I0ve read quite a few stories about the Viper being somewhat scary to drive in some conditions (spinning out on the highway etc...). Apparently (according to some articles), the Z06 is even more prone to this, for example it only got a 6/10 for handling, whilst a Viper got 10/10...
This is such nonsense it's not even worth talking about.. however we can..

Please post these "scary it spins out everywhere" articles..

What utter bull - more tripe being spread by folks who still presume to believe that because it's American it can't handle..

Ok, I don't know if this is true, I haven't tried either car, and it may simple be remedied via some tweaking of the suspension etc...
Tweaking? What tweaking? You make this sound like the cars randomly shoot off the road into trees for no reason... :roll:

Please post such articles - I really want to read just how much rubbish some journalists publish.

But this does leave me with one question. Namely, the vette scene is suposedly larger then the viper scene. The Z06 is also quite cheap. Thus, more people will buy this new Z06, which might result in a surge in accidents related to new owners losing control of the car.
I guess because this is the first time anyone has access to 500hp cars... :roll: The sheer number of cars in the USA with 500hp+ is staggering..

Thousands of Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, Transams etc etc etc.

Tens of thousands with 400hp+, hundreds of thousands with 300hp+.... just because only a few select wealthy Europeans have access to high hp cars doesn't mean that the entire rest of the "regular working man" universe is not able to have access to high hp cars...

So don't worry - people are not going to suddenly start randomly smashing into things because all of a sudden "poor people" have access to fast cars

What's your take on this? I'm not saying it'll happen, in fact, I hope it doesn't (it sucks to crash a car, nevermind the fact that the driver/passenger risks losing their life too). But sometimes sh1t happens =\
My take - see above
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
LotusGT1
Regular User

Apparently (according to some articles), the Z06 is even more prone to this, for example it only got a 6/10 for handling, whilst a Viper got 10/10...
http://www.jabbasworld.net/dload.php...e&file_id=1115

Hardly.

Originally Posted by RC45
... just because only a few select wealthy Europeans have access to high hp cars doesn't mean that the entire rest of the "regular working man" universe is not able to have access to high hp cars...
Hardly.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:22 AM   #4
Shinigami
Regular User

RC45: I wasn't bashing it and made no mention about it being "just another crap american car", so just chill up a bit and don't assume that everytime someone mentions the vette's (or other US built cars) that we're trying to bash american cars.

It kind of puts me off wanting to discuss the cars when I immediately get someone breathing down my neck, asking me to post proof for everything I say or post about (or members even doubting about the very stuff that is being discussed). All I was hoping to do is share some of the info I found (I wasn't sure if the info was posted previously) and discuss it in peace (guess it won't happen).

I found a few more links as well, but I won't bother posting the reviews because I'll just get attacked some more as I'll simply be viewed as another "american bashing European" (I'm not European).

In regards to stories about these cars being a mouthful to handle, once again I was just posting what I heard and read. None of those 'rumors' came from European sites (as you seemed to assume). All were posted on forums/websites with a grand majority of the readers and members being American (s2ki.org, miata.net, and many others). It's just chit chat and people trying to share their views, opinions and rumors (which may very well be incorrect, but that was what I was trying to find out by making my post over here).

You said yourself that your 420hp vette requires more attention from the driver now that the wet winter months are upon us. Why would this not be the case with the 505hp Z06? Yes, the states may sport hundreds and thousands of high HP modded cars, but I'm thinking the drivers are also above average. When Joe ordinary goes to shop for a new car and sees a 505hp American Muscle on sale, will he have the skilles required to operate such machinery? A surprisingly high number of people don't even know about engine tuning. All you need to show them is an affordable car with high HP numbers, and they'll buy it. There may be more affordable high HP cars in the US, but everyone knows that after a certain limit, a high torque car can be somewhat edgy on the road, and with "out of the showroom" affordable and powerful cars coming on the market, I would simply find it normal to assume that more people will end up in situations they cannot control.

What about the video clip which was posted not so long ago on this very forum about some vette driver who was just going down the road, and suddenly veered off hard to the left... What about all the accidents with the older Viper when inexperienced drivers would leave the car dead (I've read about it being a handful, not only from journos, but from owners on viper forums as well), so I was just wondering if this would be the case for the new Z06 as well. Like I said, I only heard about snap-oversteer problems (most likely due to inexperienced drivers). It doesn't mean that it's really a problem, just an observation by some people...

I wasn't bashing the car, I was only hoping to hear opinions. Anyone with a lack of skills will crash a car, it doesn't matter if it's American, European or Asian, sometimes it doesn't even matter if the car has 200, 400 or 800hp on tap.

I have a feeling that had I posted this message on another forum, I wouldn't have received such a hostile reply...

It's a bit sad really, I just wanna talk about cars without the words "european crap" or "american sh1t" being thrown around.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
RC45
Regular User

RC45: I wasn't bashing it and made no mention about it being "just another crap american car", so just chill up a bit and don't assume that everytime someone mentions the vette's (or other US built cars) that we're trying to bash american cars.
Why would you assume that I assume taht? I simply replied directly to the words typed.

So just chill a bit and don't assume that everytime someone replies to your mentioning the vette (or other US built cars) that we are defending them.

They don't need defending - try read the replies for what they are - replies to posted thoughts.

It kind of puts me off wanting to discuss the cars when I immediately get someone breathing down my neck, asking me to post proof for everything I say or post about (or members even doubting about the very stuff that is being discussed). All I was hoping to do is share some of the info I found (I wasn't sure if the info was posted previously) and discuss it in peace (guess it won't happen).
Sorry buddy, but when a "this is a possible problem with X" type thread is posted, whether in a PC forum or Audio/Video forum, or a Car forum or even a Camping and Outdoors forum - it is normal for people to ask "where did you hear that?".

Live with it.

I found a few more links as well, but I won't bother posting the reviews because I'll just get attacked some more as I'll simply be viewed as another "american bashing European" (I'm not European).
Post away - different journalists have different motivations for what they write.

BTW - I heard (and experienced) the SLK to be a slow, badhandling slouch that promotes lazy drivers - being automatic and all

In regards to stories about these cars being a mouthful to handle, once again I was just posting what I heard and read. None of those 'rumors' came from European sites (as you seemed to assume). All were posted on forums/websites with a grand majority of the readers and members being American (s2ki.org, miata.net, and many others). It's just chit chat and people trying to share their views, opinions and rumors (which may very well be incorrect, but that was what I was trying to find out by making my post over here).
Opinions are like arseholes- everyne has one... doesn't mean it's pretty enough to expose to the world..

You said yourself that your 420hp vette requires more attention from the driver now that the wet winter months are upon us. Why would this not be the case with the 505hp Z06? Yes, the states may sport hundreds and thousands of high HP modded cars, but I'm thinking the drivers are also above average. When Joe ordinary goes to shop for a new car and sees a 505hp American Muscle on sale, will he have the skilles required to operate such machinery? A surprisingly high number of people don't even know about engine tuning. All you need to show them is an affordable car with high HP numbers, and they'll buy it. There may be more affordable high HP cars in the US, but everyone knows that after a certain limit, a high torque car can be somewhat edgy on the road, and with "out of the showroom" affordable and powerful cars coming on the market, I would simply find it normal to assume that more people will end up in situations they cannot control.
Affordabel is alos relative - it's still a $80,000 car with taxes etc - when new

Now used is a different story - in 4 years thousands of people will be buying these used 505hp+ cars and randomly spinning out of control and smashing into treees everywhere

What about the video clip which was posted not so long ago on this very forum about some vette driver who was just going down the road, and suddenly veered off hard to the left... What about all the accidents with the older Viper when inexperienced drivers would leave the car dead (I've read about it being a handful, not only from journos, but from owners on viper forums as well), so I was just wondering if this would be the case for the new Z06 as well. Like I said, I only heard about snap-oversteer problems (most likely due to inexperienced drivers). It doesn't mean that it's really a problem, just an observation by some people...
I was just wondering - that probably not - but of course you get dumbass drivers of all cars - you of course know about the Enzo smahed to bits and burtn to a crisp in Houston because the guy figured "Who needs traction control" and then provceeded to spin his dad's Enzo into a tree...

I wasn't bashing the car, I was only hoping to hear opinions. Anyone with a lack of skills will crash a car, it doesn't matter if it's American, European or Asian, sometimes it doesn't even matter if the car has 200, 400 or 800hp on tap.
Exactly (on the skills/crash bit) -- but come on, you really do have a predisposition that US cars are really not that good in the handling department - right? I mean don't deny it - you really do feel deep down that those cheap, bad quality, badly made yank piles of crap can't really be called sports cars... you can be honest - it's ok.

I have a feeling that had I posted this message on another forum, I wouldn't have received such a hostile reply...
Well - depends on what forum you posted it

It's a bit sad really, I just wanna talk about cars without the words "european crap" or "american sh1t" being thrown around.
Talk away

Know you know exacty how I feel when trying to have a discusion about P, F and L cars..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote