Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:04 AM   #16
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
^^I think its a pretty safe bet or they wouldnt give it a 3 year warrenty.

I can tell you with a cam, header, exhaust, intake, and tune even my transam would gain 100 bhp and still be reliable. Now ask me to gain 2-300 and in my car we start to break some weak pieces. Then again.. originally 27000 dollar 3 year old trans am... 75000 dollar brand new corvette z06.

Wasn't it 3 years OR 36.000miles, wich is not that much really if you are going to use the car daily. I am sure a lot of people will hit the mark before 1/2 year.

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:01 AM   #17
Shinigami
Regular User

Default Re: 'evo' reviews the Lingenfelter Corvette Z06

Originally Posted by RC45
The Lingenfelter claim is accurate - its 505bhp to 616bhp... the 557RWHP is just about right.

I can't believe these guys actually publish inaccuracies like this. You would swear they are all noobs.
No mention of it being power recorded at crank or at the wheels is done. But they way it's written, I'd wager they were talking about crank hp.

But since you're such an authority on everything (and obviously never wrong :roll: ), why dontcha go tell the EVO team how to do their work.
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:28 AM   #18
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

^^^

Blaire is a figleaf

damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
Old 02-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #19
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by SPEEDKILLAR

I can tell you with a cam, header, exhaust, intake, and tune even my transam would gain 100 bhp and still be reliable. Now ask me to gain 2-300 and in my car we start to break some weak pieces. Then again.. originally 27000 dollar 3 year old trans am... 75000 dollar brand new corvette z06.

Wasn't it 3 years OR 36.000miles, wich is not that much really if you are going to use the car daily. I am sure a lot of people will hit the mark before 1/2 year.
I dont know if you know anything about the performance reliability benchmark that supercars aim for... but, the 95th percentile is 5,000 miles a year. less then 5% of supercars put on more miles per year. 12,000 miles a year is really quite a bit on average... and what are the chances of you keeping a new car supercar for more then 3 years? that ownership experience drops off again after just one year even...
Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #20
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by SPEEDKILLAR

I dont know if you know anything about the performance reliability benchmark that supercars aim for... but, the 95th percentile is 5,000 miles a year. less then 5% of supercars put on more miles per year. 12,000 miles a year is really quite a bit on average... and what are the chances of you keeping a new car supercar for more then 3 years? that ownership experience drops off again after just one year even...

uuuhhmm, this isn't a supercar.

Blaire is a figleaf

Old 02-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #21
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Shinigami
The Lingenfelter claim is accurate - its 505bhp to 616bhp... the 557RWHP is just about right.

I can't believe these guys actually publish inaccuracies like this. You would swear they are all noobs.
No mention of it being power recorded at crank or at the wheels is done. But they way it's written, I'd wager they were talking about crank hp.

But since you're such an authority on everything (and obviously never wrong :roll: ), why dontcha go tell the EVO team how to do their work.
Well - since YOU are such an expert on nothing - how do YOU suppose they measured the HP "at the crank".... since the article speaks of the "rolling road dyno" (and one would doubt they removed the engine just for the dyno run :roll: ) - which would seem to indicate the measurement being taken AT the wheel... with the crank HP being calculated based on a percentage loss... which leaves even more rom for error on their part....

Man, some of you people go out of your way to make JW into a pissing match all day long - even when faced with people who do know what they are taking about and are correct. :roll:

I would make the same criticism of EVO, the test facility and the engine modder if the car being tested was a Toyota, Ford or Porsche.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #22
graywolf624
Regular User

uuuhhmm, this isn't a supercar
Technically it is.. and regardless, as someone who at one point was shopping vettes, I can tell you very few people use them as their only car (our own rc notwithstanding). They can be used daily but they tend to be low mileage play things as evidence by me not seeing a single vette over 50000 miles when I went shopping for a 99-03.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #23
FoxFour
Regular User

Originally Posted by Shinigami

It says in the article that the car was put on a Dyno Dynamics rolling road, that is obviously a chassis dyno. Most 20- something car guys will tell you that with a chassis dyno, you have to factor in drive- line losses, the percentage amount according to the type of dyno model. I spotted that inaccuracy in the EVO article as well. By the way that article was written overall, you would think these guys were in the car game for a short while.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #24
79TA
Regular User

That was an interesting article although it's a shame they didn't put more attention into tuning. It does atleast show how responsive V8's are to relatively inexpensive modifications. You can get similar (and/or better and more aggressive) cams from lots of other suppliers and the same is true for the exhaust and intake.

I'd love to have an LS1 motor to drop 6 grand into. 650 reliable hp. An LS2 or LS7 would be even more fun.

Speaking of LS motors, the 6.0 litres found in trucks are essentially the same engine in iron block form. That means they'd be easier to bore out etc. I'd like to find one of those for cheap, build it, and see what I could drop it into.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #25
graywolf624
Regular User

^^YEah the high power ls1s you see out there tend to be iron.. People put them in drag camaros alot.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:34 AM   #26
BlackTransWS6
Regular User

Who the hell is gonna drive 36,000 miles in 6 mo, and why is that even significant. If you drive that often chances are its a daily long distance drive which is the best possible treatment for a motor. You run the highest risk of damage to an engine when its cold and first started. Most car companies will void your warranty if performance modifications are made. So just the fact LPE offer a warranty is over and above indicating the quality of work done. Whats important about the warranty is the terms...