Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 05-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #46
Minacious
Regular User

Clean Eclipse; Tastefully done. The rims are a little too showy for my liking, but overall the car still looks good.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #47
vexor
Regular User

Just got my hands on this cute little turbo. It's a Borg Werner K04 from a Mazda CX-7 and it burns up oil so i'm gonna rebuild it and eventually later in the year (depending on my finances) put it in the Eclipse. I know a lot of you are going to say "īt's waayy too small" but my hp goals are small (~210-230) so this quick spooling turbo should do the job.

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #48
nthfinity
Regular User

I wouldn't say too small

If it were a larger turbo, then I'd wonder what you had already done to bolster the bottom end. Nice, and that will definitely liven up the Eclipse
Old 02-15-2011, 02:16 AM   #49
5vz-fe
Regular User

LSD coming up next??
Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #50
vexor
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe View Post
LSD coming up next??
nah, feeling too lazy to take apart the transaxle

Old 02-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #51
Strop
Regular User

I don't like this year model very much, it just reminds me of "fast and furious 2"hehehe. But seeing it clean, looks like a nice car! I don't know nothing about this model i think.....is it a good car?

And i see you have a nice little toy there waiting....i'm curious to see how it will turn out. But maybe it is too small, i know your hp goal isn't big, but the small turbine A/R could cause a back pressure problem, and that is deadly for the engine. It will have almost no lag, but you have a 2.4L(am i right?)...and that means a big air flow in high rpms. If the back pressure is too high, you will not gain any power at high rpms and you can have combustion problems, causing failures and broken parts...
Sometimes a bigger turbo is safer, and you can have more power with lower boost.

I found this K04 - 2275 turbo map on the net:

I believe this is a model close to yours, maybe a little bigger. And you can see that this turbos best efficiency is at 12~15 psi, with a gain of 110~160hp, and it's already spinning at 126K, wich is fast and will produce a lot of heat, so a intercooler is more than welcome.
Hey vexor, maybe you know all that, and i'm not a pro. Im just telling you the little i know, maybe will be helpful. I just want you to have a nice ride, no headache, and have fun!
Strop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #52
vexor
Regular User

Another part added to my turbo kit, 3" cone air filter

so far total money spent on kit: $0.00

Old 03-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #53
Vansquish
Regular User

BE CAREFUL!!!! I've got a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 which is equipped with a K04. My engine is the same 2.3L four-cylinder (turbo obviously) as the CX-7, and it's intercooled. Stock it ran about 15-16 psi of boost and I'm running around 17.5 now (still within the "safe range"). The engine came stock with forged internals as it runs 9.5:1 compression, and I would strongly recommend going forged depending on your engine's stroke and compression ratio.

Despite these various safeguards that Mazda put into place, the MZR 2.3L DISI turbo is known in Mazda-circles for throwing rods. Sooooo . . . be VERY careful about what you're doing and get properly tuned when you're done. I'd also strongly recommend staying out of boost at low revs if possible, as it's a lot of strain on the engine.

Strop is right on target with what he's saying as well. I know you're on top of this seeing as you're clearly a gearhead, but I'd hate to see things go pear-shaped as you boost your Mitsu!

Happy turbo-ing all the same!

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #54
vexor
Regular User

^^^ Getting it tuned is at the very top of my list fo things to do, I won't drive the car unless it gets tuned.

I have heard about the broken con rods on the DISI engines, although haven't seen one come through our dealership yet, but I will be running half the boost of a regular DISI turbo system.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #55
vexor
Regular User

Latest pics and additions to my car, the other wheels I'm using as my winter set.

Drag DR-31 18x8
Muteki Tuner Red lug nuts

Last edited by vexor; 04-02-2011 at 11:33 PM.