Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 09-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #31
Shaggy
Administrator

What made you decide on getting the mx-5 for your DD?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #32
79TA
Regular User

The Miata is just an excellent option for a daily driver. It's small, nimble, light, easy to park, and gets excellent fuel mileage (I get 27.5 mpg driving fairly hard). The only thing it doesn't do is get me HOV lane access by using some alternative fuel.

After starting to do track days in '09, I saw how capable low power Miatas could be. I began to subscribe to the train of thought that it was more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow . . . ESPECIALLY in commuter traffic. Even the Mustang with only 225 hp and 300 lb-ft is quick enough in a straight line to be thoroughly frustrating in traffic.

The Miata does everything well in stock configuration. It brakes well and corners well with nicely controlled body motion. The steering is direct giving instant response, especially compared to my very body-rolly Mustang. It does all this while still having stock springs that let me drive over normal bumps without cringing. The stock ride height and short wheel base make speed bumps and driveways a non-issue. The narrow overall width is great for snaking around traffic.

The hard top makes the car livable on a day to day basis. The wind noise and lack of security means no soft top for me.

Lastly, these cars are very affordable and cheap to insure. There are lots of aftermarket parts available should anyone get the urge to change things. I keep meaning to get a bolt in roll bar and maybe a wider set of wheels for a wider set of tires. The car already has pads and fluid for higher temps so the brakes can take some heat while on a track.

When I bought this car, I never would have guessed how much time I could save myself by parallel parking into spots too tight for 15+' cars.

Last edited by 79TA; 10-02-2013 at 03:18 AM.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #33
nthfinity
Regular User

Whoa! 79TA!

You and Heilsvenska still hang out? I was just out in SoCal in early September. Next time we'll have to meet up!
Old 10-26-2013, 04:12 AM   #34
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
Whoa! 79TA!

You and Heilsvenska still hang out? I was just out in SoCal in early September. Next time we'll have to meet up!
Hey! Yea, we still do. Send me a PM if you'll be in SoCal again soon and hopefully I'll check it in time.

Will you be at SEMA? I'll be there on Tuesday the 5th, wandering the show for a day with co-workers.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #35
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
Hey! Yea, we still do. Send me a PM if you'll be in SoCal again soon and hopefully I'll check it in time.

Will you be at SEMA? I'll be there on Tuesday the 5th, wandering the show for a day with co-workers.
Not SEMA this past year, but I was there with my last job a few times. I may go again in 2014 now that I'm with one of the OEM's aftermarket division. Unfortunately, I've been extremely busy since my last post, but I'll do my best to keep checking the forums.