Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 01-16-2004, 03:04 AM   #46
zevolv
Regular User

Originally Posted by blah
The new Cobra version might be able to run with the new Z06s, you never know what the crazy asses at SVT will do. I wouldnt be suprised if you see a Turbo Charged Cobra R.
the new SVT which will be out a year after the new mustang goes on sale will have 400 hp and the new C6 has 400 to start and will have more a year from now when the new Z06 is available and IF they decided to make another CobraR which I highly doubt now that shelby might be joining the new mustang hype, and they would never turbocharge the mustang since the CobraR was a mustang with a larger engine that's what they would do, in motor trend they say that the engine is the same size as the larger displacement F-150 engine. So if they really wanted to that's what they would do again, although that's highly unlikely since the CobraR was offered instead of the normal Cobra, for a year there was only the CobraR and no normal Cobra.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:43 PM   #47
blah
Regular User

Why would they only bump the new Cobras HP up only 10 horses? 400 horses doesnt sound right.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:47 PM   #48
hemi_fan
Regular User

why would they bump it up more than that? 400hp is quite a lot. But it would be cool if they used the GT engine when they switched to the 5.4L, 550hp muahahaa!

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 10:43 AM   #49
Gnome
Regular User

I love that retro look! There have been some worse looking models in between...

They should have made the ass more spectacular, though. For some reason it reminds me of the Nissan 200SX from the early 90's. Something about the spoiler and the tail lights, I think. I agree that the old duck tail would be better.

And the engine: Don't worry, I think they will give it enough power...
Old 01-26-2004, 04:02 PM   #50
00StangGT
Regular User

the 05 Mustang is just pure hotness.....one of the best looking cars to date. Atleast they didn't just take an old design and rebadge it :cough:GTO:cough:

The production version's design was set in stone before the concept car was even drawn; thus they drew the concept from the production. I fell they did the production version a great job. J. Mays has really set the standard for sports cars. It's the most reasonable 300hp car out there. That and he mada damn sure the body wasn't cluttered. No scoops or louvers, just a smooth body with simple yet elegant GT emblems on the sides.

About the 2006 Cobra. It's not just 10hp they're bumping it up. Try a whopping 500BHP. That's right. It's gonna be a big boy; it'll have straight line speed like a Viper and handle damn near as good as a C6 with the new chassis. Not to mention it will still be a whole lot cheaper
Old 01-26-2004, 04:04 PM   #51
00StangGT
Regular User

Originally Posted by Drogear
I hope the make a new shelby!
You're hope has come. Carroll Shelby has rejoined with Ford to produce a Shelby Cobra once again. He'll probably make a Cobra like the old 427 Cobras and a Shelby Mustang. That is also one reason why SVT is not producing a 2005 SVT Cobra. It's a great era for the pony car
Old 01-26-2004, 04:17 PM   #52
zevolv
Regular User

Originally Posted by 00StangGT
I hope the make a new shelby!
You're hope has come. Carroll Shelby has rejoined with Ford to produce a Shelby Cobra once again. He'll probably make a Cobra like the old 427 Cobras and a Shelby Mustang. That is also one reason why SVT is not producing a 2005 SVT Cobra. It's a great era for the pony car
Actually Ford has suspended the entire SVT line for the 2005 model year so that they can focus all their resources, Man/Money on the Ford GT and they will introduce the new Lightning and Cobra for the 2006 model year, and there is talks of possibly making an EVO/STI contending Focus for 2006/7 The Cobra is just a concept right now and they probably won't go official until after the Auto Show season is over like they did with the GT. And the Shelby Mustang is supposedly being thrown around the table at this time but probably will take a few years to see one.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:11 PM   #53
hemi_fan
Regular User

Wow, that sounds really exciting! a Rally Focus, Shelby Cobra and Mustang, SVT Cobra, and Lightning all possible contenders for the near future of Ford, I never woulda thought!! the new milleniums is going to be remembered as the "Comeback of Fun Cars". Im so glad im alive.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 01:10 AM   #54
undien717
Regular User

I hope the make a new shelby! Does anyone know if the concept one was a 350 or a 500? It would be sweet if they made each! Just like back in the day!
Man- if they remake the Shelby that would be so crazy. I love that car-
Old 01-28-2004, 01:22 AM   #55
zevolv
Regular User

I hope the make a new shelby! Does anyone know if the concept one was a 350 or a 500? It would be sweet if they made each! Just like back in the day!
The Concept car was a Shelby Cobra not a Shelby Mustang G.T. 350 or 500 they are different cars. And jsut to let everyone know Shelby still sells the Cobra and they are reproducing the 500 E (Eleanor) using original Mustangs
Old 01-28-2004, 02:02 AM   #56
nthfinity
Regular User

wish they made it look more like the shelby gt500 in the back. it would have been better with the,
well, to calm any worries that mustang is just going to rousche and saleen i quote Carol Shelby directly! "I am moving to Ford to finish my career where it started." this year we have already seen the concept Ford Shelby with a simply amazing V-10 pushing well over 600 ponies, and 550 ft. lbs. although the concept may not come into being, i am fairly confident that a new Shelby GT 500 will be on the way.
another wonderous thing coming to the mustang in the 06 MY will be the new version of the SVT. what makes this so special compared to our 04 svt cobra is the blue oval is currently developing a 5.0 L variant of the 4.6 (4 valvs /cylinder and such ) pushing approx 425hp NA. this is said to be an engine option over a supercharged 4.6.
in my opinion, when HP and torque numbers (in ft. lb. ) are closely matched an engine is properly tuned. this said, the 4.6 3 valve/cylinder is going to be 317 ft lb. and 300 hp.
I think that they are using the lincoln LS chassis, or some Jaguar one
this was true when the concept was revealed; however over the last year, ford engineers discovered there wasnt enough room for the engine, and transmission for the stang, among several other issues. from this, they built a new chassis based on the lincoln ls/ t-bird/ jag, but having completely different demensions including wider, and shorter in length.
any other questions, i have VERY reliable sources for all things Ford
Old 01-28-2004, 02:18 AM   #57
nthfinity
Regular User

to much to quote here
ill see if i can enlighten some, and not others
i doubt we'll see a mustang cobra R before MY 08, and mustang hasnt had a turbocharged engine since the early 80's running a 4 banger @160hp. turbos are cool, but not as cool as muscle (sry grand national fans). As far as competing with the corvette. save for the 2000 cobra R, mustang has stayed far away from competing in the corners with the vette,b ut in a straight line its always the goal for bang for the buck. but the svt will only end up competing with the standard, and more expensive C6. the upcoming MY06 Zed series vette will be prancing around with a 500hp motor to compete with the viper, and possibly Ford GT. its pricing will be similar to that of the current 500 cubed viper.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the v10 ford developed for the Shelby concept may yet see the light of day as a GM/Ferarri/Lambo/porsche stomper next step ... at least i hope... i wonder if its 6.6 L engine will fit?
Old 01-28-2004, 02:27 AM   #58
zevolv
Regular User

First learn how to spell Roush and the GT is already a Ferrari, Lamborghini and porsche contender (360CS, Gallardo, GT3 respectively) If anything the engine will be in a production version of the Shelby Cobra or possibly a truck option. and I know a Ford/Roush/Saleen/SVT dealership owner.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:36 AM   #59
nthfinity
Regular User

thanks for the info on spelling roush :p engineering majors dont worry about spelling as long as the concept is conveyed.
yes the ford GT is all i was saying is that i have a sneaking suspicion that the GT's performance will be upgraded to overwhelm even domestic competition, and to give a good enough reason for potential costomers to shell out an extra 50 large.
But, then again, styling is detrimental, and i dont see the supercar being out-beautified by anything less then italian pasta rockets.
as far as the v10 truck option, ford faded its Triton 6.8L v10 when the excursion ended production.
i cirtainly hope the ford shelby concept is to become a reality; but even my inside source isnt privy to all secrets/decisions. =/
ill work on finding out what the 6.6 V10 is based off of this week
Old 01-28-2004, 02:45 AM   #60
zevolv
Regular User

I'm sure the final decision on the Shelby Cobra making it into production lies in the hands of one man and his name is Carroll. I'm very happy with our Turbo Diesel in the F-350 it's good enough for a truck especially with the mods. The one thing is if the Lightning has the same engine as the GT why not give it the same power? that would be a place to start because you know they aren't happy with Dodge cheating with the Viper engine.