Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
79TA
Regular User

Default ready to shoot my HP computer

Ok, I'm trying to burn a cd (burning an ISO image for use on another compy) and I'm not having much luck. I have a couple of burning programs, but the problem is my computer won't detect blank CD-roms. If there's already some data on the cd, then it'll read, but that's no good for burning the ISO image. Both of my disc drives read and write, so I don't know why it would do this. Any ideas or solutions?

What I'll do for now is write the ISO file on a disc (that already has some files on it) as a data file and then I'll fire up my oooold compy to read that data, store it somewhere, and then burn the image. Nevertheless, this not detecting blank disc nonsense has got to stop.

tangential rant: this computer is a little over 2 years old and has given me much trouble (for an out of the box computer.) I'm building my next one much like I did my first one back in 9th grade. The warranty hasn't been particularily helpful, so what's the point.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
styla21
Regular User

I was talking to a buddy online when I saw your msg. He knows his stuff, so I asked him and this was the response.

1. Install nero micro, burnaware pro, or alcohol 120%

2. tell it to burn the image
3. Also make sure the correct size media is being used and it's of decent quality
I've never had a problem burning any ISO/cd image/dvd image where the ISO file isn't corrupt, and i'm using a competent burning application. the integrity of the ISO/image can be checked by attempting to mount it with a virtual drive program like daemon tools, or using alcohol 120%. if it fires up, it's ok & can theoretically be burnt ok.
So to troubleshoot - if there's an error - check iso isn't corrupt, check media is of decent quality, check that the drive is functioning by trying to burn something else... if that fails, try a new aforementioned burning program.

Keep us posted if / when you get it sorted! Interested to know your solution as I have similar problems from time to time.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I think the problem's with his hardware. HP is notorious for having connection problems with drives. My HP doesn't recognize DVDs anymore. I also have a friend who can only use her drive if she pushes the drive cover in a certain way. I'm never buying HP again.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #4
79TA
Regular User

Right now I'm using, Infrarecorder, among others. Should I still bother to get Nero Micro? The problem doesn't seem to be the burning software . . . but it never detects a blank disc. I'll be back later . . . thanks for the tips
Old 08-20-2008, 01:31 AM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

my past hardware failures were never detecting blank discs, but rather burning a readable image...
Old 08-20-2008, 01:47 AM   #6
HeilSvenska
Regular User

You should probably go upload that onto a flashdrive and take it over to a friend's so you can burn it on a disk, if you really need it burned now.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:49 AM   #7
gatot
Regular User

From my experience, if the cd rom won't detect cd, usually it's the hardware error. Cleaning with cd cleaner is useless. The easy way, buy a new one but don't buy the expensive one, it's almost at the same quality.
gatot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Lightbane
Regular User

I've had similar problems with my HP laptop. Only there were times it wouldn't read ANY disk. Blank or not. It would just keep searching and searching for it until you smashed your fist into it or turned it off. Depended on what mood I was in.
Lightbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
k24hybrid
Regular User

Location: Santiago de los 30 Caballeros, Dominican Republic, at the Caribbean, Central América.

WOW, i have an HP Pavilion a1217n and sometimes it don't read the data on the DVD's and, when im going to burn, it doesn't recognize the drive . But a restart will solve those problems . It's a lot better to get components and build one, next time i will do that .
Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #10
gatot
Regular User

Originally Posted by Lightbane View Post
I've had similar problems with my HP laptop. Only there were times it wouldn't read ANY disk. Blank or not. It would just keep searching and searching for it until you smashed your fist into it or turned it off. Depended on what mood I was in.
Hahaha... kick in the ass.... Sadly but true.
gatot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:10 AM   #11
79TA
Regular User

yeeaaa, I took Heil's advice on this one. So, this computer is in the same state. Atleast it does other stuff ok.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #12
Spiffu
Regular User

Build your own it's the only way to go. Out of the box HP's are rubbish I owned one too and flogged it off for half of what I paid for it...never again.
I haven't used a pre-built PC where I was living since I was in early jr high when my parents had a packard hell. After that it was nothing but custom builds for me. That way I know ever component in my system, software and hardware. And if anything goes wrong I have no one to blame but myself. Only my laptop is a pre-built Dell.

It's a lot cheaper too.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #13
RT87
Regular User

My suggestion, get yourself a mac as your next computer (if you can live without pc games). It'll increase your lifespan a couple of years due to reduced stress.
RT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:36 PM   #14
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RT87 View Post
My suggestion, get yourself a mac as your next computer (if you can live without pc games). It'll increase your lifespan a couple of years due to reduced stress.
stress?

I much prefer to install apps that are relevant to me, rather then paying on the top side. Id rather be able to customize the machine both in software interface, software used; knowledge base, open source etc. etc. etc.

lower stress? I don't think so.

I've not reformatted a pc due to failure of currupt data etc. since the days of Windows 98 SE... not in NT 5, NT 6 (XP) or my current laptop w/ Vista.

PC's are quite nearly 1/2 the price for comparable specs. That will add 5 more years to your life compared to any stress induced compared to a mac
Old 08-22-2008, 11:50 PM   #15
Spiffu
Regular User

also

LOL

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote