Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Bernardo
Regular User

Default Porsche 997 Facelift Details leaked

We received an email this afternoon from a loyal WCF reader with a very official looking PDF file attached. In its contents were details for all of the Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera 4 and Targa variants of the facelifted 2009 Porsche 911 except for the GT2, GT3 and Turbo models. With a little due diligence, we soon discovered the document had already been circulating around Porsche enthusiasts forums. Nonetheless, we're happy to pass on the info.

First and foremost, Porsche has upgraded the 3.6 and 3.8-liter engines to direct injection making 345 hp (+20 hp), 390 Nm torque (+20 Nm) and 385 hp (+30 hp), 420 Nm torque (+20 Nm) respectively. All-wheel-drive models get a limited slip differential as standard and for the first time a 7-speed dual clutch transmission called Porsche Double Clutch (PDK) with flappy paddles on a new three spoke steering wheel is introduced.

The chassis gets an enhanced Porsche Stability Management (PSM) while bigger front and rear brakes disks fill the new style 18-inch standard Carrera wheels and 19-inch wheels for the Carrera S.

In the lighting department LED daytime running lights and side lights plus redesigned LED rear lamps are added, and bi-xenon headlamps become standard on 3.6-liter models.

As seen in previous spy photo stories, the exterior gets restyled front and rear bumpers, semi-integrated stainless steel exhaust tailpipes, larger exterior mirrors, and for the first time, all-wheel-drive models receive further differentiation such as a rear light-strip (red in color), black trim at base of rear bumper and titanium paint finish on front air intake surrounds and horizontal grilles. The new colour range includes:

-Porsche Racing Green Metallic (metallic colour) replaces Forest Green Metallic
-Aqua Blue Metallic (metallic colour) replaces Cobalt Blue Metallic
-Nordic Gold Metallic (special colour) replaces Dark Olive Metallic
-Cream White (special colour) replaces Slate Grey Metallic

For the interior, the center console is restyled in black finish with modified air-conditioning controls and fewer switches. Navigation data is accessed via hard drive and the TFT display screen increase in size from 5.8 to 6.5 inches as well as touchscreen functionality. Sport Chrono Package Plus in conjunction with the PDK transmission gets new functions:

-launch control
-race-track gearshift strategy
-additional ‘Sport Plus’ button

Audio and communication upgrades will see voice control with whole-word input and universal audio interface for connecting external audio devices, such as Apple iPod or USB stick in center console storage compartment.

Production for the European 2009 Carrera started four days ago with point of sales starting July 5. However, North America and the rest of the world have to wait until September 20. Worldwide sales for the Carrera 4 and Targa will start October 25.
Source: Wordofcarfans.com
Bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
styla21
Regular User

Thanks for posting.. I can't see any major styling changes from the 997.
I'm surprised Porsche weren't using direct injection already
Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Bernardo
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21 View Post
Thanks for posting.. I can't see any major styling changes from the 997.
I'm surprised Porsche weren't using direct injection already
I can't see any major styling changes since I was born...
Bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
styla21
Regular User

.. Very true.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
torrentjunkie
Regular User

if you stare just at the front end its easy to think you're looking at a cayman or a boxster
Old 04-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by torrentjunkie View Post
if you stare just at the front end its easy to think you're looking at a cayman or a boxster
Thta's what I thought too.. far too feminine looking now.

I am still willing to bet the 911 "classic" layout gets ditched for the Gayman layout within 3 years
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
silentm
Regular User

what the heck that picture has photochopp screaming all over it ... tsts this can't be for real
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by silentm View Post
what the heck that picture has photochopp screaming all over it ... tsts this can't be for real
Real enough for you?

So lazy. We probably won't see a V8 in 998 either. If a generation of 911 lasts an average of 7 years, CAFE would catch up as the new model comes out.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #9
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Thta's what I thought too.. far too feminine looking now.

I am still willing to bet the 911 "classic" layout gets ditched for the Gayman layout within 3 years
it's not that.... its Europe's highly demanding regulations that a car be "safe" for pedestrians to get hit by..... that is almost as bad as late 70's-mid 80's bumpers
Old 04-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
fordgt84
Regular User

honestly if someone took a time machine from 1964 and saw any of the present 911s or indeed this facelifted version he'd be like... what's changed? oh wait there's a little extra fat around it ... and that's pretty much it
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by fordgt84 View Post
honestly if someone took a time machine from 1964 and saw any of the present 911s or indeed this facelifted version he'd be like... what's changed? oh wait there's a little extra fat around it ... and that's pretty much it
A Porsche engineer would be analyzing it four months in awe of what had been done to that old rear-engined car
Old 04-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
A Porsche engineer would be analyzing it four months in awe of what had been done to that old rear-engined car
Ferdi would probably spend that much time just on the onboard computer systems.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #13
silentm
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
it's not that.... its Europe's highly demanding regulations that a car be "safe" for pedestrians to get hit by..... that is almost as bad as late 70's-mid 80's bumpers
now what is wrong with that? i know i wouldn't want to get hit buy that codatronca design ...

but ok you convinced me... the design is real... i feel pity for Porsche in doing that
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #14
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by silentm View Post
now what is wrong with that? i know i wouldn't want to get hit buy that codatronca design ...

but ok you convinced me... the design is real... i feel pity for Porsche in doing that
I take issue that the number of pedestrians hit by cars is such a tiny fraction of all the cars out there, and perhaps even a smaller fraction of "new" pedestrian-safe cars out there.

If it were a safety feature that would save 10,000 lives a year... or more, like an Air bag, or seat belt, or crash structure.... that is 100,000,000,000x more important....
Old 05-01-2008, 11:24 PM   #15
Pokiou
Regular User

wtf is wrong with Porsche man.. they are seriously the laziest design group ever.. and the rear lights.. HOLY CRAP.. CRAP's CRAP.

fugly.
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote