Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

View Poll Results: WRX or GTI
GTI 6 25.00%
WRX 18 75.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
corvette97
Regular User

Default 06' WRX or Golf GTI V

Well i've been wanting a performance car since almost 2 years now, i had to get a new car since my dad didn't wanted me to have a "faster" car as a first car, so had to go with the slowest option (don't get this wrong i actually like my car a lot very comfy, like the looks but the performance is killing me) i think i got the best of this car (yes pics or stfu, pics later nothing interesting) and want to sell it by the end of this year to get some money for it currently the car is 15,200 USD have 2 options and want to know what you guys think of both...

the conditions...

1. LOADS of traffic in rush hours
2. 10 km uphill to get to my house
3. slippery roads at night and in winter.
4. a lot of rain in winter

GTI pros
better interior, better gauges.
DSG option with i would love
looks

GTI cons
sound
not so mod-friendly
fwd

WRX pros
SOUND!
mod friendly
looks

WRX cons
interior
5 speed MANUAL
nothing like a dsg option

both cars will get almost the same sticker price here...

wich one would you choose?

i want a good looking car, with a quality interior and want to make perf mods later

thanxs!

corvette97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
dingo
Regular User

Default Re: 06' WRX or Golf GTI V

The GTI is also a car I considered before buying the WRX, but in the end a 18 month waiting list put an end to that plan.

However I'm glad I went with the WRX in the end, the 4WD is just amazing and is a major advantage over the Golfs FWD IMO.

Also as you mention it has a much greater tuning potential, and can actually handle it - imagine a FWD GTI with 300hp+ :shock:

I don't agree with you on the interior of a WRX being a negative - I really don't find it bad at all. It may not be as stylish as the German car but more than adequate IMO. The tacho in the middle of the cluster is just coo too!

http://www.ozcarsightings.com/updates/wrx/Subaru_WRX%20(16).jpg

I know DSG is all the rage, but really the feel of a perfectly executed shift in a manual can't be beaten - so much more fun.

Lastly lets talk about looks - the MY06 is ugly from the front IMO, and can't match the GTI in this department.

Go for an MY04/05 WRX and save a bit of money which you can then spend on mods.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #3
TT
Regular User

Well, I think the WRX has the edge, but if we are talking about the V gen GTI I don't see how the sound could be a "cons".. it's one of the best sounding small cars of the moment IMO, at least in stock form!
Old 02-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
dingo
Regular User

Something I forgot - If I was going to buy a Golf these days it would be the R32 and not a GTI. It gets 4WD and seriously sounds like an Italian exotic! :shock:

I know that is out of your price range, since its an overpriced car in general - shouldn't cost much more than a standard WRX really.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
corvette97
Regular User

true... if its a golf it should be the 32

another down in the subaru is that doenst have a on board computer...

as far as im searching in the net i found many things that could mod the wrx to have the sti perf... and much more...

both car are still pending here to show up... i guess i still have the entire year left to choose...

hey dingo.. how about a sound clip or video
Old 02-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
TNT
Regular User

well are you looking for year round fun/speed? or just something that can drive you in all weather? And what is you speed need? i mean there are a lot of vehicles with AWD/4x4 that are quick but not fast.

but out of the GTI or WRX i would choose the WRX.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
ARMAN
Regular User

WRX cons
interior
5 speed MANUAL
LOL those are a good sides

WRX it is sound of an angry boxer is priceless

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

i agree that the interior of the golf is better then the wrx... but not that much better

a 5 speed manuel is hardly a con

the golf is a good car... but WRX is that much better IMO

no contest... dingo put it quite nicely
Old 02-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #9
corvette97
Regular User

well not having a 6 gear IS a con IMO

i dig the DSG concept, im really confused
Old 02-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
gucom
Regular User

ok i've driven neither of them, but here's why i'd pick the WRX:
-4WD, much better than FWD
-manual for me would be a bonus, the DSG is ofcourse a beautiful amazing system, but nailing a manual shift just feels so damn good....
-it's prolly more of a sports car in every aspect

downsides for me would be er...i like VW as a brand, and WRX's (and especially STI's) seem to draw negative reactions from people who dont know about cars, with their wings etc...I'd go for a (relatively) discreet WRX
Old 02-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by corvette97

hey dingo.. how about a sound clip or video
Sure, but my car doesn't have an aftermarket exhaust yet so the sound is standard.....

Originally Posted by corvette97
well not having a 6 gear IS a con IMO
Why do you need a 6th gear?

I've never felt the need for one yet, except maybe when cruising at 100kmh and wishing the revs were at 2000 instead of 3000.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:13 AM   #12
ARMAN
Regular User

Try to drive both of cars and see for yourself. Most of us never drove any of them anyway

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:30 AM   #13
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso

i've driven both cars...and the GTI is a much nicer car for less money than a base WRX.
Thats not the case here, the GTi is a little more expensive and has a waiting list.

Originally Posted by everso

lots and lots and LOTS of mods out for the new GTI, and many more on their way. VWs and Audis are as tunable as any other cars out there. it's really easy to bump a 200hp GTI to 260hp. costs $500 to get a REVO programming done....and onwards and upwards from there. VWs are very VERY moddable.
but remember its FWD and it won't handle the extra power as well as a WRX will.....

Originally Posted by ARMAN
....Most of us never drove any of them anyway
speak for yourself!
Old 02-09-2006, 05:44 AM   #14
nthfinity
Regular User

WRX's and GTI's arent dificult to drive around here... although i havent test driven a GTI yet... i'll make it a point to do so soon
Old 02-09-2006, 10:18 AM   #15
corvette97
Regular User

ok went to the dealer yesterday, great day , no pictures really well only one with my cellphone, the salesman told me that the next week they'll bring the wrx to the dealer, the car is 33,000$ :x, the STI the past version (they still had one there) 44,000$ totally over priced, i guess the wrx is still in my price range but no mods in like 1 year or so, i have to say although the GTI interior looks great the STI's interior was amazing really, since the wrx has the same aluminum dash and similar dash i think that is going to be great, i just hope the 33,000 version will get the leather sport seats , the VW dealer told me this, the gti will most likely not be available with the dsg (although the guy was a total ignorant), it will be from brazil, and maybe just maybe i could get the mexican version for around 34,500$ if DSG available.

other cars i checked , citroen c2 VTR great litle car cheap as hell and the dash and paddle shifters look race ready hehehe, also there was a F430, maser coupe and maser spider will sho the crappy picture with the cell, i didnt wanted to take pictures theres was a guy outside with a clk55 amg waiting to get in the Ferrari bastard

forgot to say this, this worries me the most, more than not having a 6 speed and shit i know of 2 cases of scoobies beeing stolen... a guy with a wrx was killed and the car appeared a week later with no interior and no wheels, althoug there is no evidence of he beeing murdered for the car...

mu cousing bought a STI 2 years ago to race in a STi cup, his car was stolen with him and his girlfrined inside, thay took them for around 2 hours and then they let them do, the bastar got another one :x