Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 05-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #46
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by toffytofik View Post
dutchmasterflex, mate, you don't seem to understand the difference

/

"The Devil Wears Nitrogen Filled Tires"

Bingo
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #47
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Nope - the GT-R relies on its electronic handling to go as fast as it does.

If you took out the magnetic shocks from the CTS-V (or the FE3 Corvette for that matter) and replaced them with stock stiff shocks off the shelf, like Corvette owners do (the FE3/FE4 guys simply put in non-adjustable C6 Z51 or Z06 shocks) the car will still be as quick.

That is the point.

If you took out the all the electronic power distribution and handling managment from the GT-R, and just left it as a 3900lb top heavy boat with only 480bhp it would not be as fast as it currently is.

Period.
The CTS-V is 4200lbs, 400lbs heavier than the GT-R. Why would changing just the suspension affect each other differently?

BUT if you took out JUST the suspension, and replaced it with a mechanically tuned performance spec suspension as you mentioned, it would still handle, most likely even better because of lighter, more firm components.

It's all in the transmission for the GT-R, being able to manage the torque, control launches, and shift quickly while keeping on the power.

I'm not trying to compare the technology of both cars either. The AWD system alone makes the GT-R and CTS-V in compatible.

But just for kicks:
Originally Posted by nthfinity
DSG dual clutch system
No driver involvement
When lapping the 'Ring the GT-R driver at least selected his own gears.. the GM driver didn't even touch the paddles when lapping at 7:599999999.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #48
nthfinity
Regular User

Just for kicks...
GM offers both ghey transmission options that lap reallly fast, and a proper manual transmission that will lap faster.... with a proper race driver at the helm.

Nissan are telling you they are know better, and H gate transmissions aren't good anymore.

(just another reason why i'd not get one.... but i don't need more reason besides it being the ugliest 2 door sportscar on the planet)
Old 05-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #49
graywolf624
Regular User

Pot -kettle.. kettle- pot.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #50
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Yes, it's the automatic — Heinricy's run was made in a CTS-V equipped with the new six-speed automatic. More incredibly however, even though the new transmission is equipped with shift triggers on the steering wheel, Heinricy never once touches them during the run. "He's letting the computer do the shifting," one source told us. "It matches the right gears to the braking perfectly."

The manual isn't as fast — "The reason you see John wave at the beginning of the video," another anonymous source told us, "is because (ride and drive engineer) Aaron Link is right behind him in a manual-transmission CTS-V." Link, an excellent driver in his own right, simply couldn't keep up with Heinricy and throughout testing, the automatic has proven to be the hot setup for this car. "There's video of Aaron's run, and he's incredibly busy" an insider told us. "Meanwhile, John barely moves."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=126303

I stick by my story.. 14 mile track, very demanding on driver who has clutch work, let a lone choose their own gears on a sequential gear box.

Similar to how rotax karts, although slower than a 6 speed shifter kart, can easily out perform in a long race simply because it is less work for the driver.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #51
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex View Post
I stick by my story.. 14 mile track, very demanding on driver who has clutch work, let a lone choose their own gears on a sequential gear box.
You make it sound like it's harder to change gears with a DSG than with a manual.

Hmm. The GT-R does have an A Mode. I wonder how many seconds that can shave off.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #52
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Yeah, I meant that a full autobox is easiest, then sequential(DSG), then full manual with clutch.

I'm pretty sure the GT-R is fastest when the transmission is set to R which means you have to choose gears.

I do believe the CTS-V with clutch CAN be faster than the automatic, but on the 'Ring, I still think the auto will have the upperhand. Especially if it's got such a great COMPUTER like GM says.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #53
RC45
Regular User

Thats 2 different drivers in a non competition setting - not exactly a true measure of "which is faster"

Can you say "Best Motoring"?

If Heinricy had been in the manul ahead of the auto, he would have still been ahead and posted a faster time.

It is very important for GM to promote and be all goofy eyed abou their new 6-speed auto. It is one of their first true performance automatic setups that works really well, so they need to make a big deal about it.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #54
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

If you say so Heinricy...
Old 05-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #55
enzoferrari
Regular User

What a car,BMW M5 is going down!I like this car a lot.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:32 AM   #56
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex View Post
If you say so Heinricy...
Otherwise, it would've been the other driver who was taped....

Remember videos comparing Jacky Ickx v. Darek Bell... let alone v. Stefan Bellof ?

GM aren't sandbagging anything.... you can't keep secrets in this town
Old 05-18-2008, 01:56 AM   #57
79TA
Regular User

Wow, I missed out on a lot on this thread. So people actually tried to compare the CTS-V's basic electronic gadgetry and magnetic ride adjustment to that of rolling traction machine that is the GT-R in order to expose some sort of hipocrisy. Can you say stretch?

As far as auto vs manual, I think the easier shifting of the auto would make up for any of the slight horsepower seep difference. So, I'll buy GM's line about the auto being faster.

My TA's consistent automatic transmission has helped me outrun plenty of faster cars with drivers who couldn't shift well . . . although that's hardly relevant to Heinricy on the 'ring.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #58
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
Wow, I missed out on a lot on this thread. So people actually tried to compare the CTS-V's basic electronic gadgetry and magnetic ride adjustment to that of rolling traction machine that is the GT-R in order to expose some sort of hipocrisy. Can you say stretch?
No, if you read all of my posts, I mentioned that you can't really compare the to, specifically because of GT-R's AWD. But the CTS-V does have a trick suspension, and do all the work for you automatic transmission.

Originally Posted by 79TA
As far as auto vs manual, I think the easier shifting of the auto would make up for any of the slight horsepower seep difference. So, I'll buy GM's line about the auto being faster.

My TA's consistent automatic transmission has helped me outrun plenty of faster cars with drivers who couldn't shift well . . . although that's hardly relevant to Heinricy on the 'ring.
Exactly.. And on a 14 mile track with over 200 corners, it will make a difference. If an automatic transmission is shifting faster and without driver input, it will be faster around a circuit, especially one as technical as Nurburg even if it is the same driver.

My point is that, these new cars are only breaking such records due to the advanced engineering and technology.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #59
5vz-fe
Regular User

Let's not forget the tire technology development over the years.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #60
HeilSvenska
Regular User

An interview with John Heinricy about the lap.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/J...-in_165622.htm

The only difference with the silver car was fire safety equipment, a pair of racing seats and a brace to which were attached the required five-point safety harness.

Love that sticker.

CTS-V officially makes 556 SAE certified horses and 551 ft lb.