Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Music And Noise

Music And Noise This is where to discuss you favourite Artists, Bands and own Music

Old 05-10-2005, 08:40 PM   #1
Mers
Regular User

Default Your Ultimate Guide To Jaco Pastorius

Hi all...
Well, of course, as everyone in here loves cars, we cannot ignore that listening to good music in the car is one of the best things one can ever do...so..
I decided to spread word on an artist I admire very much...

Jaco Pastorius

This man is simply, the best bass player in the world. period. Now, of course people discuss it, but take it from me, once you hear this guy play, you will see bass playing in a different way...

Jaco's fame came with 'Weather Report', an American modern jazz band, founded by master 'Jazzmen', Wayne Shorter, and Joe Zawinul. Their first album, 'Heavy Weather' became an instant hit, and is, until today, one of the most important albums in jazz history. The impressive Bass grooves in 'Birdland', and the masterful Bass piece, 'teen town' (considered one of the most important bass pieces in history) made this young man from South Florida an instant legend in the jazz scene. he innovated, playing electric bass in jazz, one of the most ancient types of music of the 20th century. later on, he played with jazz diva, Joni Mitchell, before starting his own band, called 'Word of Mouth' in the early eighties. With 'Word of Mouth', he was able to put his composing abilities to the maximum, and created incredible masterpieces such as 'Punk Jazz'.
Tragically, he was killed in the eighties, in the hands of an overzealous bouncer outside a nightclub in florida. but that man could not kill his memory. Jaco is one of the main influences in modern bass playing, and his style is imitated by thousands.

THE ALBUMS

here are some of my recomendations for you, who is interested in this superb bass player....

'Pastorius, Metheny, Ditmas, Bley - Jaco' - 1974
The first album bearing his name.. Pianist Paul Bley discovered two young men who were to change the history of modern jazz, and put them in the same album, through his own 'Improvising Artists' label...

Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life - 1976
Guitarrist Pat metheney's debut album. Bringing Jaco to play with him in this was a great thing for Metheney. they are considered one of the most influential "duo's" in modern jazz....

Jaco Pastorius - (Self Titled) - 1976
Jaco's Debut album.. this is absolutely essential for any bass player who thinks of playing jazz. the first track, 'Donna Lee' was only a small demonstration of the awesome power Jaco had over his fender Bass... absolutely essential...

Weather Report - Black Market - 1976
Although Jaco only plays the bass in two songs here, this album was what determined his entry in Weather report as a permanent member..

Joni Mitchell - Don Juan's Reckless Daughter - 1977
his first 'real' album with Joni Mitchell... Also the beginning of a great partnership...

Weather Report - Heavy Weather - 1977]
Probably the most important album in jaco's carreer. This is the album which made him famous in the jazz scene, and opened up doors for him...an essential pick for the casual listener.. especially listen to 'Teen Town', 'A remark you made', and 'birdland'.... jaco at his best

Weather Report - Mr. Gone - 1978
Although not as important as 'Heavy Weather', this is where 'Punk Jazz' first appeared... This is one of jaco's most important tracks of all time... worth a listen

Joni Mitchell - Mingus - 1979
the best Jaco-joni album in my opinion...the tracks 'goodbye pork pie hat, and 'the dry cleaner from des moines' are a perfect idea of the pwer of this musical relationship...

Michel Colombier - Chrysalis - 1979
This album deserves mention because of its huge array of jazz masters....
besides jaco, we had Michel Colombier, Herbie Hancock, Lee Ritenour, Peter Erskine, Larry Carlton, Michael Boddicker, Airto Moreira, Steve Gadd, Ray Parker Jr., Jerry Knight, and Tom Scott. this is a great listen to the jazz enthusiast...

Weather Report - 8:30 - 1979
Incredible live album.... one of my personal favourites, shows jaco playing with Wayne Shorter, Joe Zawinul and Peter Erskine... Great versions of 'teen town', 'Birdland' and 'Sightseeing'... a must have...

Joni Mitchell - Shadows and Light - 1979
Another great joni mitchell album, with pat metheney....

Weather Report - Night Passage - 1980
probably the last 'real' weather report album.... with great tracks, this only proves that this band was destined to become what it did...

Jaco Pastorius - Word of Mouth - 1981
If you're gonna buy an album, let it be this one....
it's not my favourite, but this is jaco at his best...really, the extraordinary selections of musicians in this big band is of such great magnitude that is can be difficult to believe.... a great album...especially because of the track 'liberty city'

Jaco Pastorius - The Birthday Concert - 1981
This live album is one of the best live albums i've ever listened to... my favourite track is 'the chicken', which is considered as one of jaco's most famous arrangements (he didn't compose it)... I love it...listen to the version of 'liberty City'.. excellent

Jaco Pastorius - Invitation - 1982
This album is a perfect arrangement of many of jaco's hits live.... looks like a recording, but actually is a mixture... great version of 'invitation' and 'the Chicken' here...

Live In New York City - volumes 1-7 - 1986
A series of bootlegs, showing jaco live... very good, especially vol. 2...

Jaco Pastorius - Live in Italy
Another live album...has a great cover of 'i shot the sherriff'... a good buy, if you can find it, that is...

Jaco Pastorius - Rare Collection
a great compilation of very rare tracks...definitely worth it...

Word of mouth revisited
VERY VERY good tribute album, with the best bass players around... for those who like more modern bass plying, this just shows how jaco influenced so many of todays artists...

I hope you liked this, since i felt it was very important to pass the word out to people that this guy was a really good guy... and should get all the attention he deserves....

leave your thoughts...
Peace..
Old 05-10-2005, 09:09 PM   #2
ZfrkS62
Regular User

when i was taking bass lessons i was told to check him out, but i never did. I know i have the tab for part of birdland laying around here somewhere I really need to get playing again. I've slacked off so much its sad.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #3
pharzo
Regular User

Yes!! Jaco definitely is amazing. I started playing bass about five years ago, and I still remember feeling the happiness when I nailed 'The Chicken' and 'Teen Town'. Those pieces are excellent when you feel like showing off a bit...as well as being masterpiece examples of what can be accomplished with the instrument if someone as unique and special as Jaco approaches it

RC45 about the Z06:
It is also a cheaply made, fast to depreciate, badly service hunk of GM crap.
pharzo is offline   Reply With Quote