Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 06-22-2005, 04:42 AM   #1
caneswell
Regular User

Default Japan Travel

Looks like the US road trip may not be happening as the guy we were going over to see can't get the time off work so it would only be the two of us doing it.

So Japan then! We are thinking of going for a month or so this summer. Who's been, what's it like? What things should we definatle seen and how difficult is it to find someone who understands english? I did China last summer and it was hard work, i'm kind of hoping this may be easier!??

Cheers
Old 06-22-2005, 08:37 AM   #2
Evo
Regular User

Was in japan last year.. And as dani_d_mas said it's expensive.. And 1 out of 50 speaks English but they are very friendly people and they will help you if you needed anything. We landed in Osaka then went to tokyo by the bullet train and it was nice.. If you have time please visit spoon Racing headoffice in tokyo.. You will be amazed how clean that place is.. Never saw a garage that clean.. I don't really remember all the streets that I went to but if you are in a hotel you just ask the people down stairs and they would be helpful.. yeah thoes are the only people I met who spoke English, ..

If you can spend a little stay in Park Hyatt Tokyo, we stayed in 40 something floor and damn the view was speactaculer and the rooms are WAOO.. Now I want to go back again.. ..

Here is a link to the hotel website..

http://tokyo.park.hyatt.com/
Old 06-22-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
GT-R_R34
Regular User

i go there every year. yes it is expensive there. people think as others first, so most people are friendly. go to these website http://www.mytrip.net/en/index.html and http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/. if you were form the US i would help more. Here they have packages where you can buy the train pass for a week up to month. have in mind that the bullet train are more expensive than airplane tickets. and avoid eating at hotels. breakfast could go from 50 to 200 dollars. oh and if you speak Spanish is easier. like EVO said 1-50 speak english. but 1-10 Speak spanish weird. mostly because colonies from Peru and Brazil. one of the things you have to have in mind is the weather it might be sunny one minute then it rains the next. most of the cities in Tokyo are in order like if you want clothing there is a city for that if electronic there is another city for that, etc. My favorite city was Akihabara the electric city. Ahhhhhh games, tv, arcades, the works. got here for info http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3003.html
try to avoid Americanized food, they taste funny.
i hope that helps.
oh BTW i stayed at www.crowneplaza.com not bad, my brother got a 50% discount. Because he works for American Airlines.
GT-R_R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:14 PM   #4
gbg
Regular User

^^ LOL, I never thought that 1-10 speak spanish, but that really makes sense once you think that there are a lot of brazilians living in japan

BTW latin people are a plague everywhere I go, specially in the USA. Miami is a joke, last time I've been there I've only spoken spanish and portuguese... there're a lot of people there that doesn't even speak english
Same goes for California, where I found a huge amount of Mexicans... and in NY there are a lot of latins also, but I think that there are more Indians and Pakistans then Latins. The bad part on having so many latins in USA is that people treat me badly, because I'm latin and americans definetely don't like latins

Japan must be a great trip for sure! My uncle went there some years ago, he loved it, but he had a terrible earthquake experience... so be aware of earthquakes
gbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
graywolf624
Regular User

Im thinking of going next year myself. That being said my trip might be largely different. My best friend likes to go on trips and live with the locals away from tourism.. This year he went to vietnam and I couldnt afford to go.. Tentatively its Japan or the philipines next year. Though Brazil was mentioned as well.
because I'm latin and americans definetely don't like latins
It isnt that we dont like latins... its that this crap
there're a lot of people there that doesn't even speak english
From people who live here pisses us off.. Just as it does in any other country generally (remembering the dirty looks I received for speaking english in germany until I learned better). You move here you learn the language... otherwise just visit.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
Evo
Regular User

Ohh yeah about earthquake.. It happend onces when we were in tokyo at night and I was sleeping .. My parents and my older brother felt it but I was so deap into sleep I did not even notice it.. Next morning my brother was a little hiper about earthquake when we were talking he stoped and said did you feel that.. He kept doing it few times per day..lol It was very funny..
Old 06-26-2005, 06:59 PM   #7
GT-R_R34
Regular User

i'm wondering if Caneswell is going to Japan. i'm guessing you guys scare him with the earthquakes. since i'm in California i'm used to them.
GT-R_R34 is offline   Reply With Quote