Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 03-17-2005, 02:24 AM   #16
SilviaEvo
Regular User

Originally Posted by tuffguy
In order from cheapest to most expensive:

ES, LS, OZ Rally, Ralliart, Evo RS, Evo, Evo MR

Engines:

120hp 2.0L I4 - ES, LS, OZ
162hp 2.4L I4 - Ralliart (but it dynoes at 150hp. you do the math.)
276hp 2.0L I4 turbo - Evo

As you know, MIVEC will next appear in the Evo IX and in the 4th gen Eclipse. And the Evo X is rumored to get a turboed version of the 2.4L MIVEC.

Motor Trend did a comparo recently and couldn't stop raving about the engine:
This Lancer feels so much more lively than 162hp suggests, largely because it's blessed with one of the most torque-rich and flexible four-cylinder engines ever. Despite its seemingly mediocre specs, the MIVEC-equipped longstroke four delivers butt-flattening torque at nearly any rpm, so you don't need to rev the oil out of it to have any fun.

Similar to Honda's once-groundbreaking VTEC system, MIVEC uses various cam profiles at different engine speeds. In fact, there are three distinct modes that engage in low-, mid-, and high-speed operation. Unlike the Honda or Toyota systems that change over like a light switch at high (about 6000) rpm, MIVEC's first adjustment occurs at a relatively low 3600 rpm, making it almost imperceptible to the driver.

The result of this sophisticated system is that the engine simply feels larger than 2.4-liters. The system works so well that, despite being rated with the lowest horsepower of the group, the Lancer Ralliart manages to be the fastest car here by a reasonable margin (gearing also helps).

Another reason the Ralliart feels so connected is that its five-speed shift linkage is taken directly from the more expensive Evolution.

Adding to that involving experience is a suspension system nearly as dedicated as an Evo's, but without the harshness of that uncompromising model. Firm spring and damper rates all around improve body-roll tendencies and reduce weight transfer in all conditions.

It's the easiest car in the test to drive on the edge. It tells a driver exactly what's happening and, better yet, what's about to happen in transitions into and out of the corners.

Brake pedal feel and pedal placement are top-notch. The Ralliart is equipped with ABS and electronic brake-force distribution, which dictates different pressures at front and rear depending on traction conditions. Once a high-end brake system, it's standard equipment on the inexpensive Lancer Ralliart.

With all it has going for it, the Lancer Ralliart is the closest buyers can get to an Evolution for about $13,000 less. It's a quality, high-performance car that belies its low price and underappreciated World Rally roots. Just do yourself a favor: Buy some better tires with the money you save up front.
your forgot the FQ400 which has ahem 400 bhp? can you say INSANE
Old 03-17-2005, 02:26 AM   #17
tuffguy
Regular User

No Fvcking Quick Evos in the states...

But you can always get this:

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/monstermate/mitsuevo8.htm
tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #18
hairy
Regular User

theres some f*cking quick evos here in australia boys. i have a ralliart evo 8 came stock with 270 bhp and after mods i have round 340 bhp at the moment. Very tidy around the race track
BTW pleased to meet you all.
hairy from OZ
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:48 AM   #19
dingo
Regular User

Hi hairy (that name makes me feel uneasy)!

How about you post some pics of your car to back up the claims?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #20
oantob
Regular User

Great car tuffguy, hey about the engine..do you know what is the engine code? because if i'm not wrong, this engine also apply for the 2.4 litre Mitsu Grandis :roll:
Old 08-18-2005, 12:18 PM   #21
tuffguy
Regular User

Thanks. =)

The engine code is 4G69. We don't have the Grandis here, but the new Eclipse, Galant, and Endeavour also have the same engine. So it looks like they're gonna kill off the Lancer Ralliart.

The cool thing is the next generation of the 4G69:
http://www.japanesecarfans.com/news....subishi/1.html
http://media.mitsubishi-motors.com/p...etail1317.html
tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote