Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 12-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
5vz-fe
Regular User

Default My 300G harddrive died!

Came back from Washington DC yesterday night only to find out my harddrive that had my car vids and jap anime died!!! That drive is only 6 months old, I wonder if it's being put in a USB enclosure that makes it die sooner (I am using it 24/7 btw)
Old 12-16-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
jadeddjay
Regular User

how did it die? what is it doing to make you say its dead? just wondering
Old 12-17-2006, 12:32 AM   #3
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

All hard drives are meant to die.. whether it's in 10 years or the first month.. but there are ways to speed up the process. Although unless you were moving it around all the time in the USB case, I don't think that had an affect on it.. probably just picked the wrong one.

A lot of people say having the hard drive on all the time is better than turning it off as it doesnt have heat up and cool down all the time.. causing the metal to expand and contract.

You should be able to get a new replacement drive if you've got a warranty.. If you want to try to salvage some of the data (with out spending thousands of dollars) try using Norton Ghost to take an image of the dead hard drive.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
Mattk
Regular User

That sucks. Did you have back ups?

I've always been advised by those with more technological expertise to let equipment cool every so often to avoid overheating/damage. The destruction of your hard drive may be caused by a combination of constant usage and an inherent structural fault.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:17 AM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
You should be able to get a new replacement drive if you've got a warranty.. If you want to try to salvage some of the data (with out spending thousands of dollars) try using Norton Ghost to take an image of the dead hard drive.
It kept making those clicking sound....I think it's the reading head that's fucked. So no, nothing will save my data.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:17 AM   #6
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
That sucks. Did you have back ups?
You know how it is with bigger capacity harddrives....you always tend to be lazy to make backup. Especaially so early during its life span. Now I am paying the ultimate price. So pissed.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:20 AM   #7
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
It kept making those clicking sound....I think it's the reading head that's fucked. So no, nothing will save my data.
Not true, there are companies that do recover data. Some can even salvage date off physically burnt HDD's. Do a google search. I know there are a few around.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:54 AM   #8
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
Not true, there are companies that do recover data. Some can even salvage date off physically burnt HDD's. Do a google search. I know there are a few around.

Data recovery is a very expensive business... You pay thousands of dollars to salvage a hard drive. Major corporations can spend millions trying to recover data, its just not practical for the regular user.

That clicking sound is the arm slamming against the inside of the drive looking for track 0.. If that's all it does you're pretty much screwed, but if it can be seen by the computer you might be able to use Ghost to save some data. It can take a while depending on how bad the drive is.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
ARMAN
Regular User

oh man thats bad

[/quote]

:shock: Shit... I hear cliking sounds too! working to me sofar I hope it will not die :shock: crap what should I do???

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
saadie
Regular User

the mechenism that controlls the heads is dead ...

you could take your drive to one of those companies that put your discs into other ahrddrive to retrieve your data
Old 12-17-2006, 07:42 AM   #11
Fleischmann
Regular User

What brand ?? Anyways, the warranty for hard drives are always 36 or 60 months, so you should get your hardware replaced. Too bad about the lost data
Old 12-17-2006, 08:24 AM   #12
Mattk
Regular User

Warranties for hard drives are a bit redundant. The data lost will almost always have more intrinsic value than the machine itself.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #13
TopGearNL
Regular User

Never!

Did you lose everything? Please tell me you made back-ups
Old 12-17-2006, 09:22 AM   #14
saadie
Regular User

people use 300 gig HD's FOr backup .. lol ... funny .. but yeh .. thats how it works
Old 12-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #15
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
Warranties for hard drives are a bit redundant. The data lost will almost always have more intrinsic value than the machine itself.
Yep, its sentimental value, can't be replaced