Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 02-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
666fast
Regular User

Default Bough a new monitor, now have questions

So my old CRT was about to go kablammo. It would make wierd squiggly lines every now and then. Plus, if I dared to turn it off, it would take about 10 minutes to turn back on after hitting the power button. heh

So I bought a Westinghouse 19" widescreen monitor. Sorry, I don't have a digicam, so no pics, but if you guys need proof I'll scan the reciept. This is the monitor here:
http://www.westinghousedigital.com/d...spx?itemnum=46

Anyway, the screen will go up to 1440x900, yet it's not giving me that option under the properties menu. Do I need to find and install some dumbass driver or do I need to upgrade my graphics card?

In all honesty, a new graphics card would be nice, I'm using the stock one my PC came with and it's nothing special. It's a Nvidia Geforce MX420.

Right now I'm running 1280x960 which is pretty snazzy. The few 720p videos I had on the PC look fantastic.

Overall I'm happy with it. It may not be the best, but at the price I paid ($220) I think I made out well.

One other big plus is that bmw06m6's signature no longer makes me scroll sideways.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

If the monitor came with a driver cd, you have you install the monitor drivers to give you the full resolution.

Could also run windows update which might already have some drivers on the site.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Might very well be the video card. My dads onboard card didnt do wide screen resolutions.

Try getting the latest vid card drivers, if that doesnt go then Im fairly positive its teh card.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
If the monitor came with a driver cd, you have you install the monitor drivers to give you the full resolution.

Could also run windows update which might already have some drivers on the site.
It didn't come with a CD, I assumed it would though.
I kept tinkering last night and eventually did find and install the right drivers. I'm now displaying it's max at 1440x900, looks great too!

Thanks for the help guys.

Also, the Xbox 360 looks great on it. I now fully understand what all this HD gaming stuff is about.