Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 12-04-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
666fast
Regular User

Default Computer help please!

Ok, just when I thought my luck couldn't get any fucking worse, this has to happen!

So, I go to turn on my computer, it makes the noise it usually makes when booting up and I walked away to go do something. I come back and it's not on. I could have swore I turned it on, but I told myself I was imagining things again.
Anyway, IT WON'T TURN ON! I push the button, nothing happens. I unplugged it and tried different sockets to no avail. It will not turn on.
I'm guessing the power supply took a vacation. Am I right?

This is the last fucking thing in the world I need right now. I'm using my old computer and you wouldn't believe how much it sucks! Pile of shit is unbearably slow. Of course, I don't have a fucking dime ot my name to fix the fucking computer either. :cry:
Old 12-04-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
5vz-fe
Regular User

It's most likely ur power supply quits.....shouldn't be a big prob.....go out there and grab a nicer one and ur computer will be working like new
Old 12-04-2004, 04:14 PM   #3
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
It's most likely ur power supply quits.....shouldn't be a big prob.....go out there and grab a nicer one and ur computer will be working like new
I wish it were just as easy as going out and buying a new one. I lost my job and don't have much money. About how much do power supply units cost? Hard to install?
Can I rip the one out of my old PC and put it in there?

Thanks for your help though, I seriously hope it's just the power supply!
Old 12-04-2004, 04:37 PM   #4
No.1
Regular User

PSUs are about £50 for a semi-decent one... so thats about $50 in the US 'cos you get everything much cheaper there :roll:

All you have to do is unscrew the old one... disconnect all the cables to devices and Motherboard/fans, then reconnect all of them to the new one, put the screws back in and boot up.

I hope this is the problem, and nothing more serious, and sorry about you losing your job
Old 12-04-2004, 07:42 PM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

Enermax, Antec, Thermaltake.......they are good ones. It is not hard to install at all, just unplug it the wire from ur motherboard and drives....and then unscrew it from the case...slide the new one in and plug everything again and u are set. Don't save money on ur PSU, coz a good one will last a long time
Old 12-04-2004, 07:49 PM   #6
callen
Regular User

i had the same problem this summer, and it was indeed a power supply failure. My dads friend fixed it for me, and parts and labour it was $120 CAN
Old 12-04-2004, 08:09 PM   #7
abbor
Regular User

Unfortunately I can't help you other than saying you probably need a new PSU..
I can imagine that it's tough for you withouth a job, living on your own, let's hope it work out..
abbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 08:36 PM   #8
AlienDB7
Regular User

Are the fans running? If not, it's probably really a psu problem. I had a similar problem with one of my PCs once.... actually, I short circuited it since I have a bad habbit of working on the PC while it's running ops: The built-in safety mechanism kicked in and I couldn't boot it up after the initial shutdown. Forgot how I got it running again, think I somehow reset the psu by messing with the switches. In your case, open up the case and check for bad wiring (melted, etc). You never know what've been damaged.

If you can't afford an expensive psu like the Antec, you can go for an enermax which is around $50. Right now, I'm running a CAD$30 Sparkle (oem) 300W silent psu on my athlon and it works very well. In fact, it's even more stable than my old 350W Antec SmartPower. The fans in my 1 yr old Antec are dying and noisy as hell. However, most generic psu are poorly built and will end up costing you more in the long run.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:45 PM   #9
666fast
Regular User

ARG ARG ARG!
Thanks for the help everyone!

Is it possible to swap the PSU from my old PC to the other?
It'll only be a temporary fix as I really have no money to spare at the moment. Christmas is damn near cancelled in my house!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:57 PM   #10
AlienDB7
Regular User

I was going to suggest the swap. However, there's a risk. If the psu problem in your newer PC was caused by bad wiring or component, it's possible that it'll kill your old PC's psu as well. In addition to that, older PC usually have "weaker" psu's which may not be able to handle the load of your newer PC. A P4 also requires a second power connector, which isn't available on older psu's.

What're the spec for your PCs?
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:06 AM   #11
666fast
Regular User

What're the spec for your PCs?
Super shitty and Awesomous Maximous

I did some searching, the PSU on the old PC is 185 watts and the PSU in the other PC is 300 watts. So I'm afraid it's a no go. Oh well, could be worse! At least I can still access the net and stuff. Although on a really really slow piece of crap.

Thanks for your help everyone!