Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 11-08-2004, 05:27 PM   #1
corvette97
Regular User

Default :( i miss this place so much... please help

My computer its going nuts... the man from the ISP told me that my computer was full of virus... (thats waht happens when you dont have am antivirus...crap) i know i should have one, but i forgot about it totally... so here i am with a computer full of videos, pics, and nice programs... and i decided to save only my pics and a few rare videos... i have the backups now... now it seems i need to format my computer... i dont know how to do it... if have tried over DOS by typing FORMAT C: and then it tells me that the memory cant be deleted because another shit is using it, and i have nothing oppened.. the i tried with my windows CD as a first boot device... it tells me that the installation cant be opended due to an error... my IS is working right know i just got a litle chance to visit JW....

im soooo sad...

help me please

vette97-
Old 11-08-2004, 05:36 PM   #2
abbor
Regular User

Originally Posted by corvette97
if have tried over DOS by typing FORMAT C: and then it tells me that the memory cant be deleted because another shit is using it
That's windows dude! You can't format the partition which Windows is on, while windows is using it..

You have to reboot the computer with your windows cd in, and the follow the instructions to install windows, delete the old partition, make a new, format it, and then install.. Easy with winxp cd...
In win98, you have to use something called FDisk, don't want to explain that, search google..
abbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:43 PM   #3
5vz-fe
Regular User

try create a DOS 6.0 bootdisk with CD-ROM support.

http://www.bootdisk.com/ then do a ur formatting. If it still refueses to work, just use Fdisk to delete the paritions and recreate it again. Then install windows, it should work after all that.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:57 PM   #4
abbor
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
Bring it to a shop and let them do it properly!
If he learns to do it for himself, in the end he won't have a problem..
But it's possible that the shop is the best thing if he has no idea what he's doing..
abbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:00 PM   #5
Blip
Regular User

i recommend you take it to a shop it wont cost much.

If you want to do it yourself here are the steps:

1) In your case you can't install WinXP from DOS using the CD only because you don't seem to have a Bootable version of the CD,
therefore go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

and download the WinXP_EN_PRO_BF.EXE

Create the 6 floopies and LABEL THEM.

2) Either create a Windows Strartup disk or just put any floppy into your PC. Restart your computer and you should end up in DOS. Type "format C:"

3) When its done formatting just remove the floppy and insert FLoppy #1 which you created earlier. Now restart.

4) It will now run the setup from the floppies and lator on it will ask for the XP cd so it can start installation.

If you have any further questions you welcome to ask. you can PM me if you get stuck somewhere.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:08 PM   #6
corvette97
Regular User

thank you very much guys... i'll let you know
Old 11-09-2004, 12:30 AM   #7
nthfinity
Regular User

ive wondered where youve been, corvette97. hope the reformat goes well, ive done it many times... but safely 2.5 years with all the proper maintainence

i definately recomend a spysweep every few weeks, a defrag of all active partitions every month, and a constant anti-virus running in memory.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:43 AM   #8
corvette97
Regular User

thanxs nthfinity, im going nuts... but i think tomorow or the the after it will be ok
Old 11-09-2004, 02:42 AM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Why should you have to lose all your Videos and Images just because of some virus infection?

Just shove a second hard drive in the box.

Make that drive the master.

Install a fresh copy of Windows whatever version on the new harddrive.

Run antivirus scan on the old hard drive.

Delete every infected executable file found.

Delete the original Windows folder and Program Files folder.

Preserve all your videos and images.

Simple.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:39 PM   #10
Evo
Regular User

Take it to the shop......... I know how to do it but I'm to lazy to do it.. So I just take it to the shop and come back to it in few hours and pick it up.. And install Norton.. Even I know that it is important to install that.. :fadein:
Old 11-09-2004, 09:47 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Evo
Take it to the shop......... I know how to do it but I'm to lazy to do it.. So I just take it to the shop and come back to it in few hours and pick it up.. And install Norton.. Even I know that it is important to install that.. :fadein:
DON'T take it to a shop - the folks working at local establishments are all stupid mother fuckers that will have little or no respect for your stuff...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote