Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 03-23-2004, 03:23 PM   #1
jon_s
Regular User

Default A broadband and windows question.......

My mate has just phoned me with a little problem:

He has just moved into a new place, and is installing broadband. During the installation of BB it asks for the windows CD. He is running windows 98, but does not have the cd.

Anyway around this little problem?
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:34 PM   #2
yg60m
Regular User

Is it asking for a particular folder or file ? I fear that without the CD he can't make anything because he is not connected so can't d/l the necessary files ...
I am not sure that everything is installed when you install windows, you can add some stuffs manually.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:54 PM   #3
Fleischmann
Regular User

Well, like Brembo said, try unpacking the .cab files (they are ZIP files, just that the extension is changed) and see if the wanted file is there. If not, then maybe try some p2p program, like DC++, as many people share their Windows folder. This can be risky though.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:00 PM   #4
fishfreek
Regular User

It probably wants a driver for a network card or a file for a networking protocol.

If the system was previously networked with the same protocol then windows 98 is stuipd and does not always know it already has the file.

C:\windows\options\cabs is a good place to look for teh cab files. Direct the box loking for the cd there first. If that does not work tell it to look in

C:\windows\ or c:\windows\system\ or C:\windows\system\inf or C:\windows\inf\ That will basicly make the file look for it where its already installed.

If none of those work then your SOL until you get a win98cd. Not having a windows cd smells alot like a pirated copy of windows and if thats the case I dont pitty them.

Free Photo Hosting
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:06 PM   #5
Sachmo12345
Regular User

he should update to xp because it is pretty much plug and play

Xbox Live Gamertag: sachmo12345
Sachmo12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
fishfreek
Regular User

You still need the cd for varous things.

Free Photo Hosting
Old 03-23-2004, 04:45 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by fishfreek
It probably wants a driver for a network card or a file for a networking protocol.

If the system was previously networked with the same protocol then windows 98 is stuipd and does not always know it already has the file.

C:\windows\options\cabs is a good place to look for teh cab files. Direct the box loking for the cd there first. If that does not work tell it to look in

C:\windows\ or c:\windows\system\ or C:\windows\system\inf or C:\windows\inf\ That will basicly make the file look for it where its already installed.

If none of those work then your SOL until you get a win98cd. Not having a windows cd smells alot like a pirated copy of windows and if thats the case I dont pitty them.
What WeirdPisces said..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:01 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
Hey!!! how about giving a total noob on computers some credit too, dude....
My bad - take note of what Mr Brakes said too....
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:06 PM   #9
jon_s
Regular User

Mr Fish, it is not a Pirate copy. It came with his system, but lost the cd when he moved house.

Apparently it does not give him a browse option, just an 'insert cd'. I have passed on the info......
Old 03-23-2004, 06:14 PM   #10
TT
Regular User

Uhm.. I remember having a similar problem, and since the CD wasn't in the same room I remember I tried to browse and I managed to go on since it found what he needed in the windows folder somewhere.. but it was strange he tried to deny and ask again for the CD a couple of times before accepting to browse... but the next time I had the same problem I preffered to move my ass and go for the easy way... I think it won't be to hard to find a Win98 CD somewhere..
Old 03-23-2004, 07:07 PM   #11
fishfreek
Regular User

Contray to what some people think I DID not just restate what was already said. No one mention the stuff about having it look in C:\windows\ or C:\windows\system. Those are two folders that would contain .dll's or .com file or .vxd or any gamot of other exentions that might be needed.

If the OS came preinstalled then the cab files should be in C:\windows\options\cabs\ as has been said.

Very strange that it does not give a browse option. Usually there is a box that has a drop down menu where you can select previous locations people have told windows to look for files. You may be able to type in that box aswell if you dont have a browse.

The three locations I would have it search in order are

C:\windows\options\cabs
C:\windows\system\
C:\windows\

If the first does not work the later two might get the job done but you might have to tell it to look in two different spots. One location might hold the majoirty of the files and the other will end up holding one or two. The later two will only work if the files had previously been installed.

Free Photo Hosting
Old 03-25-2004, 07:19 AM   #12
jon_s
Regular User

PMSL!!! hhehehee, he got fed up and bought a new computer! Well, to be fair he needed too really it was an old P133, running 98 e.t.c a bit of a waste when you have BB!!