Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-26-2004, 06:25 PM   #46
Sir_GT
Regular User

Hmmm...

Ceramics + CF + Metal Alloy = goody goody engine then eh?
Old 12-26-2004, 06:54 PM   #47
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
Hmmm...

Ceramics + CF + Metal Alloy = goody goody engine then eh?
posibly. you would have to study the expansion rate of the materials to determine if the AluSil sleeves will expand faster than the CarboCeramic and crack the block, or slower and dislodge at Op.Temp.

And will the CF intake components expand too slowly and create vacuum leaks.

This is the kind of problem they ran into when they tried to combine Aluminum cylinder heads and Iron blocks. The aluminum would heat up and expand at a quicker rate than the heavy iron block and it would and up tearing the head gasket. this led to composite gaskets.

BMW is going to be introducing a Magnesium block with the E90, so it's going to be interesting to see what happens there. Mag. could end up being better anyway, but who knows.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:41 PM   #48
e46drew
Regular User

The engine sees BMW use magnesium in its construction process for the first time in large-scale series production. The crankcase jacket, bedplate and cylinder head cover are all made from magnesium, which weighs 30 per cent less than aluminium. If you have ever worked with boath then you can instantly tell weight difrence, for example a composit wheel verses mag. and comming from BMW you know its going to be good.
I did hear once of a CF motor it had almost 0 tolerence due to the fact that CF doesn't expand from heat, however it only lasted one lap and sized and because of the caust the project was dropped
www.facebook.com/AndyIrelandAgency
e46drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:45 PM   #49
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by e46drew
The engine sees BMW use magnesium in its construction process for the first time in large-scale series production. The crankcase jacket, bedplate and cylinder head cover are all made from magnesium, which weighs 30 per cent less than aluminium. If you have ever worked with boath then you can instantly tell weight difrence, for example a composit wheel verses mag. and comming from BMW you know its going to be good.
I did hear once of a CF motor it had almost 0 tolerence due to the fact that CF doesn't expand from heat, however it only lasted one lap and sized and because of the caust the project was dropped
having worked with the magnesium intake of the N73B60 V12, yes i can tell it is much lighter. The problem is, once the coating is gone, the air begins to eat away at the metal, therefore any removed bolt must be replaced with a new one.

as for the CF engine, when did this take place? this is the first time i've heard of it. Do you have the link to the article?

Old 12-26-2004, 09:53 PM   #50
e46drew
Regular User

This is a DI (direct injection) 2 cycle motor. ?= an air pump to assist in the fuel in being injected into the combustion chamber after the exhaust port is closed so as to eliminate fuel lost during scavenging.

I'll look for a link on the CF motor
Old 12-26-2004, 10:05 PM   #51
ZfrkS62
Regular User

you know alot about these 2 strokes, who do you work for?

what does the pressure need to be at for the 2 stroke DI? BMW uses 100BAR for the V12. (1470 PSI for those who don't use metric) It needs to be that high so that fuel atomizes right out of the injector for optimal burn, instead of relying on the incoming air off the valve to atomize it.

Old 12-26-2004, 10:23 PM   #52
e46drew
Regular User

This DI only needs 140 psi. , just over what the total compresion for the motor

here is the CF motor

I'm a power sports tech. 11 years in the buisness
Old 12-26-2004, 10:42 PM   #53
ZfrkS62
Regular User

so it wasnt a pure CF motor? looks like it was a CF/aluminum composite. with a little more R&D they could have perfected it and made a killing on the lightest, fastest bike ever

Old 12-26-2004, 10:47 PM   #54
e46drew
Regular User

I don't know the full story, but think a full V8 block/heads less then 100 lbs????

I think that this is just a cover or ducting for forced cooling, sorry ops: . I had heard of it once, or someone was pulling my leg, that motor looks convincing at first
Old 12-26-2004, 11:25 PM   #55
ZfrkS62
Regular User

well, the alusil S62 block of the E39 M5 weighs a mere 71LBS, so i would have to say that with the heads, it would be just above 100lbs. so yeah, its heading that way. the S85 V10 in the upcoming M5 weighs the same.

so if that carbonfiber was just for heat shielding, what were they testing that would have caused the engine to seize? could it have been the turbo?

Old 12-27-2004, 01:13 AM   #56
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
so if that carbonfiber was just for heat shielding, what were they testing that would have caused the engine to seize? could it have been the turbo?
CF for heat shielding... makes you wonder what's possible with a carbon ceramic engine... or maybe carbon-ceramic-magnesium? :idea:
Sir_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 01:29 AM   #57
ZfrkS62
Regular User

There are endless combinations. problem is, none of us have the fiscal means to pursue them