Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 08-13-2005, 02:21 AM   #1
Toronto
Regular User

Default Gas Prices Finally break the $1

Here in toronto the price per liter has gon up to has high as $1.06 in someplace.
I have never seen it that high

going to start walking more
Old 08-13-2005, 02:30 AM   #2
nchs09

in atlanta its @ 2.50 a gallon. prices here usually were 1.90 about 5 months ago
Old 08-13-2005, 02:31 AM   #3
corpse_grinder0
Regular User

I just paid 2.97 in southern california yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 02:32 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

These prices are artifically high - bolstering profits. $2.65 at one gas stations in Houston this afternoon - this morning that same station ahd the price at $2.55.

And supported a little by Chinese demand for oil - but more speculative than actua I shoudl imagine
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:34 AM   #5
nchs09

waht i find works best is fill ur tank half way up.. i mean prices go up and up and up

so u pump half way done and ur good........

and if the prices go down.. well u dont lose
Old 08-13-2005, 02:40 AM   #6
RC45
Regular User

^^ yep - this is "driving season fuck the driver" prices... sure there are outside contributors... but "profit" is the main one
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 03:03 AM   #7
nchs09

im not too worried about it. i used to live in el salvador and it was like 3.50 a gallon so coming to atlanta where its 2.30 right now and around.. its not bad.

its so crazy though atlanta, georgia is about 2.40 or 2.42
kennesaw , georgia which is about 30 miles up from atlanta is like 2.10 or 2.19
somtimes its worth it to just drive up for gas.

i luckly live inthe middle :p
Old 08-13-2005, 03:06 AM   #8
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ronin005
^dont hold your breath man. but they should start to lower as summer comes to an end i think.
That souds nice.. Unfortunately, crude oil is currently around $64US / barrell, and it will be at $80 before December, and i would expect pass the Ton by april of next year.
Here's to alternate fuel sources
Old 08-13-2005, 03:37 AM   #9
Ghostbat
Regular User

Poor you guys! Here in Sweden one Litre is the equivalent to $1.6. Now that's pricy..
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 03:45 AM   #10
5vz-fe
Regular User

We should also blame those SUVs hiking up the demand......

Time to make good use of www.togasprices.com :cry:
Old 08-13-2005, 04:33 AM   #11
dingo
Regular User

We are paying around $1.15/L so you Canadians still aren't too bad.....but you'll catch up soon.

Out in Alice Springs it was about $150 to fill up the Ferraris and Lambos......now thats pricy!
Old 08-13-2005, 07:12 AM   #12
Anonymous

well we are averaging about 90p a litre at the moment ($1.63 according to xe.com), though tax hasn't gone up for for some time i seem to remember. Mr Brown is to shit scared of a return of fuel blockades/ protests. Makes me glad i own a mini, even when ragging on relatively short journeys it will do close to 40mpg When i'm in the city i guess it makes me use it less, but home in dorset i have little choice, sure its the same for alot of people....... no reliable alternative to a car.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:55 AM   #13
FoxFour
Regular User

I thought this would be of interest to you guys. If only we could get a break from taxes..

Canada
The tax on fuel in Canada can vary greatly between provinces. On average, 40 to 50% of the total price of gas at the pump is tax. The federal government receives its share through the excise tax (10 ¢/L) and the Goods and Services Tax (7%). Most of the variation comes from the provincial tax. The lowest being the Yukon with 6.2% and the highest being Newfoundland and Labrador with 16.5%. In addition to this there is sometime provincial sales tax, such as in Quebec, and in larger urban centers there is a transit tax.

Taxes collected from the federal government (totaling $10,000,000,000 a year) do not get reserved for any specific program. However, provincial taxes usually go to fund road repair and construction.

Source: [1]

[edit]
People's Republic of China
In the People's Republic of China, the fuel tax has been a very contentious issue. Efforts by the State Council and the Communist Party of China to institute a fuel tax in order to finance the National Trunk Highway System have run into strong opposition from the National People's Congress, largely out of concern for its impact on farmers. This has been one of the uncommon instances in which the legislature has asserted its authority.

[edit]
United Kingdom
As of 2005 fuel duty in the United Kingdom is:

47.1 pence per litre (83 ¢/L, US$3.13/USgal) for ultra-low sulphur unleaded petrol/diesel
50.9 pence per litre (89 ¢/L) for conventional unleaded petrol
53.27 pence per litre (94 ¢/L) for conventional diesel
27.1 pence per litre (48 ¢/L) for biodiesel and bioethanol (to encourage conversion)
[edit]
United States of America
The first U.S. state tax was introduced in February 1919 in Oregon. It was a 1 cent per U.S. gallon (0.3 ¢/L) tax. In the following decade, all 48 US States (and Washington, DC) introduced a gasoline tax, and by 1939 an average tax of 3.8¢ per U.S. gallon (1 ¢/L) of fuel was levied by the individual states.

While state fuel taxes had been around for more than a decade, the first federal gasoline tax in the United States was created on June 6, 1932 with the enactment of the Revenue Act of 1932 with a tax of 1 cent per U.S. gallon (0.3 ¢/L). The U.S. federal gasoline tax as of 2005 was 18.4 cents per U.S. gallon (4.86 ¢/L), and the gasoline taxes in the various states range from 10 cents to 33 cents, averaging about 22 cents per U.S. gallon (5.8 ¢/L). Unlike most goods in the US, the price displayed includes all taxes, rather than being calculated at the point of purchase.

Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:59 AM   #14
jon_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by AL123
well we are averaging about 90p a litre at the moment ($1.63 according to xe.com), though tax hasn't gone up for for some time i seem to remember. Mr Brown is to shit scared of a return of fuel blockades/ protests. Makes me glad i own a mini, even when ragging on relatively short journeys it will do close to 40mpg When i'm in the city i guess it makes me use it less, but home in dorset i have little choice, sure its the same for alot of people....... no reliable alternative to a car.
I paid 98p for optimax just now. I nearly fell over when I started to look at the price rise at the same rate as the volume!! That will teach me to look at the price before putting petrol in!
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:11 AM   #15
gucom
Regular User

Originally Posted by nchs09
in atlanta its @ 2.50 a gallon. prices here usually were 1.90 about 5 months ago
aw man stop bitching here in holland we pay 1,43 euros per liter for Euro 95. Times 3,785 = 5,43 euros per gallo. Times 1,24 is 6 dollars and 73 cents per gallon.
and the fact that (almost) nobody stops driving makes me think that, even if oil prices double, it wont mean a major change for oil consumption, especially in the US where prices are so much lower than here at this moment.