Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 09-24-2008, 04:06 AM   #46
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Spiffu View Post
They haven't even performed any experiments yet and you're blasting this kind of ignorance, you sound just like the guy you are praising.
You are so hell bent on coming across as an insulting cock you TOTAlLY missed the ACTUAL point of my post.

The "5 billion pounds on a scientific folly when old people can't afford to heat their homes or kids are starving?" is the part I commented on.

The real and actual USABLE gains that the 10 billion dollars spent will be rather minimal at best. They can't even get the equipment to work properly for goodness sakes.

Open your mind and read up on some astrophysics and astronomy.
Again ASSuming that just because I question the astonishing price tag and minimal realworld gains I don't have a brod interest or am not well read.

These people realize there is more to the universe than themselves and the space two feet in front of them.
[sarcasm]
Sure they do - and 80 years after the atom was first split and promised the world abundant clean energy all we really have to show for the great scientific discovery is 10,000's of nuclear warheads and about 500 "nukeular" powerplants generating less than 20% of the world electricity.

Oh, and Hiroshima, Nagasaki, 3 Mile Island and Chernobyl.
[/sarcasm]
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #47
Spiffu
Regular User

I'm sorry you got so offended, but...

Regarding nuclear power, it takes a few lemons to make lemon aid. The the fact that there aren't hundreds or thousands more reactor plants around the world is the fault of stubborn politicians and their legislations and ignorant, paranoid hippy morons and think they anything with the word nuclear is evil.

In San Diego a large group of people protested the docking of nuclear submarines in the harbor, not realizing nuclear carriers had been docked their for decades. The Navy basically told them to fuck off.

The cost of the LHC is really small considering the size and scope of it compared to other scientific projects. The lawrence livermore labratories have projects going on ten times in cost. $5 billion is pocket change in the scope of major projects on the world scale these days. *cough*Iraqwar*cough*

I think it's a small price to pay in exchange to possiblly learn innermost properties and workings of our universe. A lot of the things they are looking for a clues to theories in finding a way around the light speed barrier. Not that we've come any where close with convential means, it's just that we want to find that it's theoretically possible.

So far all previous colliders like the one in Fermilab and the Heavy Ion Collider in New York have made tremendous discoveries. The LHC is seven times more powerful than any of those.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #48
RC45
Regular User

The cost of the LHC is really small considering the size and scope of it compared to other scientific projects. The lawrence livermore labratories have projects going on ten times in cost. $5 billion is pocket change in the scope of major projects on the world scale these days. *cough*Iraqwar*cough*
Pounds.. not dollars.

I think it's a small price to pay in exchange to possiblly learn innermost properties and workings of our universe. A lot of the things they are looking for a clues to theories in finding a way around the light speed barrier. Not that we've come any where close with convential means, it's just that we want to find that it's theoretically possible.
And how does this help a suburbanite in Perth or a starving child in Ethiopia or an immigrant in Russia being beaten up because he is a black muslim or an unwed mother in London or a family in Detroit trying to pay their rent or a baby drinking poisonous formula in China?

So far all previous colliders like the one in Fermilab and the Heavy Ion Collider in New York have made tremendous discoveries. The LHC is seven times more powerful than any of those.
Which have hepled the ordinary citizens of the world how?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #49
Spiffu
Regular User

The further advance of knowledge of the human race? Sorry that sounds so trite. If humans didn't have intellectual curiosity we would be no where near where we are today as a society. The unknown is always what we go after.

Sorry, it's not going to feed the poor or build dams. Go join up with Sally Struthers if you want a bigger soap box for those kind of issues.

The fact of the matter is countries and even individuals (Bill Gates) donating much much larger sums to third world countries and it still hasn't made much of a difference.

By the way the processor you're using to your words is most likely using quantum tunneling in it's cpu architecture. An observation of electrons in quantum mechanics at Fermilabs atom smasher.

So yes, practical means have come from these experiments.

It's an 06 dammit!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #50
philip
Regular User

In San Diego a large group of people protested the docking of nuclear submarines in the harbor, not realizing nuclear carriers had been docked their for decades. The Navy basically told them to fuck off.
I visited the Natulis museum and submarine near Mystic Conn. after a while I realised, it was a very fancy spent nuclear storage facility.

The new collider in Europe is small compaired to the one that was planned for Texas near Dallas that was later cancelled by congress due to its cost. Physicists in the US have been sucking hind tit ever since then.

Day 12 no electricity.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #51
RC45
Regular User

So yes, practical means have come from these experiments.
All of which is moot if the west collapses under its own greed... I never once said I am against progress - not once... but the pursuit of "progress" without lifting ones head up once i a while can be just as disastrous as no progress.

You know those Taliban dudes with a bullet with your name on it? They are only using cellphones as a means to an end, not becaus they "dig progress and discovery" - when the hordes overrun the LHC I dont think they will care what its intended use was - they will just raid it for parts for their camel wagons
Old 09-24-2008, 10:27 PM   #52
Spiffu
Regular User

The new collider in Europe is small compaired to the one that was planned for Texas near Dallas that was later cancelled by congress due to its cost. Physicists in the US have been sucking hind tit ever since then.
My dad served on the Nautilus.

All of which is moot if the west collapses under its own greed... I never once said I am against progress - not once... but the pursuit of "progress" without lifting ones head up once i a while can be just as disastrous as no progress.

You know those Taliban dudes with a bullet with your name on it? They are only using cellphones as a means to an end, not becaus they "dig progress and discovery" - when the hordes overrun the LHC I dont think they will care what its intended use was - they will just raid it for parts for their camel wagons
Jeeze you can go off on a tangent. First the poor and homeless, now terrorists. Sound like one of Bush's speeches.

The LHC has been under development for 20 years. It's a multi-national effort which makes the price of 5 billion even less. If not for the the whole dooms day premonition BS, we wouldn't even be having this thread since the pursuit of science doesn't make news, sensationalism does.

Drop the melodrama.

It's an 06 dammit!

Last edited by Spiffu; 09-24-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:36 PM   #53
nthfinity
Regular User

While we're at it, lets disband all scientific research studying the cosmos on the most macro level of physics that exists, because that isn't relevant either. :-\ Who needs a 100 Meter fully movable satellite dish that can detect the faintest of signals from the furthest, quietest, and most significant zones of our universe. We aren't talking ET, but the building blocks of Time itself.

Lets talk about that 20% of the worlds energy coming form nukelur energy... or at least the west. That is 20% that allowed 20% more expansion of infrastructure, construction, living etc. etc. to exist. 20% is no small portion.

so much science wouldn't exist without WARTIME necessity. Out of the need to communicate came the ENTIRE study of Radio Astronomy. Without Radio Astronomy, there would be no cell phones. There would be no wireless phones, there would be no digital communication whatsoever. Not to mention countless other benefits that modern radio astronomy has brought direct and indirect technology we take for granted, and will in the future.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:14 AM   #54
RC45
Regular User

Jeeze you can go off on a tangent. First the poor and homeless, now terrorists. Sound like one of Bush's speeches.

Why bring Bush into it? The anti-western movement far predates Bush - senior and junior...

The LHC has been under development for 20 years. It's a multi-national effort which makes the price of 5 billion even less. If not for the the whole dooms day premonition BS, we wouldn't even be having this thread since the pursuit of science doesn't make news, sensationalism does.

So as long as some boffins have their noses stuck in some project for 20 years then it; ok for rest of the world can quietly slide into chaos.

Drop the melodrama.

Actually if people paid more attention to the melodrama then financial, energy and immigration crisis like we are currently experiencing would not have happened.

Because all the while some of us were calling for changes and oversight, we were laughed down as cooks and drama queens

I have been asking why domestic oil exploration was being curtailed the day I learned of the fact in the mid 1990's.

It made ZERO strategic sense then, yet somehow "other more important endeavors" were pursued... - what good is a successful LHC if you dot get to reap the benefits of any knowledge gained because the world around you has gone to hell?

Call me all the names you want, but I have an uncanny track record o being correct - maybe it because man is essentially evil and destined to fail so my pessimistic outlook has a greater chance of being correct hehe
Old 09-25-2008, 12:21 AM   #55
Spiffu
Regular User

Then go make a thread on pessimism. There are plenty of other threads here on how the world is jacked up. This isn't one about it.

Go sell your corvette and send the proceeds to some cause.

It's an 06 dammit!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:34 AM   #56
RC45
Regular User

Then go make a thread on pessimism. There are plenty of other threads here on how the world is jacked up. This isn't one about it.
This thread is about the LHC and I commented on a posted story.

My comments seem almost more relavent that yours.

Go sell your corvette and send the proceeds to some cause.
Why would I do that? I never once indicated that I wanted you or I or anyone else to "give to a cause" - I just suggested there may be merit in observaitons about overspending on marginally needed projects.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #57
silentm
Regular User

so basically you are just whining and lamenting 'because you can'? O.o
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #58
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by silentm View Post
so basically you are just whining and lamenting 'because you can'? O.o
That is what the opening post is asking for - right?
Old 10-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #59
silentm
Regular User

the opening post was about some funny stuff concerning the LHC and us wanting to act a littel nerdy, so why whine?
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #60
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by silentm View Post
the opening post was about some funny stuff concerning the LHC and us wanting to act a littel nerdy, so why whine?
Whose whining?