Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 04-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #106
Vansquish
Regular User

Damn...I was going to say I made it up to #2 yesterday on the Daytona road course with the SRT-10, as well as with the Z06, but now I see you were using Racing tires instead of the standard ones...guess it's back to the drawing board...

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Since I couldn't sleep, I figured it was time to take back the #1 ranking

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #107
Vansquish
Regular User

Unfortunately the F40 has a lot less front-end grip than I was expecting and the "standard" gearing that PD fitted it with is downright ridiculous...really encourages a slow-in, fast-out style where you have to make sure the car is settled and tied-down before trying to get the nose to tuck into the corner or it'll run really wide on the exit.

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
This is what we have been saying all along

Not only that, but now imagine the sheer enjoyment of "driving" the F40 with a proper steering wheel, H-gate shifter and a clutch pedal??

Instead of a controller ..

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #108
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
Unfortunately the F40 has a lot less front-end grip than I was expecting and the "standard" gearing that PD fitted it with is downright ridiculous...really encourages a slow-in, fast-out style where you have to make sure the car is settled and tied-down before trying to get the nose to tuck into the corner or it'll run really wide on the exit.
You mean just like in real life then

They modlled a prticular F40 for the game - probably one setup for LeMans hehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #109
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
Damn...I was going to say I made it up to #2 yesterday on the Daytona road course with the SRT-10, as well as with the Z06, but now I see you were using Racing tires instead of the standard ones...guess it's back to the drawing board...
That was during the early days of the Japanese version release - since then they have axed the Racing Tyre option from the online ranking trials.

Only S2 tyres now.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #110
04RCSTI
Regular User

Hey my car doesn't squeel like that.

I'm hoping that they do a better job with this version of GT, I played gt4 a lot and honestly I sold it all to get Forza.
Not that I'm a Forza Fanboy but at least compared to GT4, it was a much better game. I always felt like I never got a sense of speed in GT and everything felt lazy.

Forza may not have the graphics or the same amount of cars, but it has a great online gameplay and they keep adding cars constantly. Good cars too.

We'll see if its just a matter of time before Forza 3 comes out because I think I'm going to prefer that over GT5 too.

GTR2 and evolution will fill in for the realistic side. I wish you could modify cars in GTR and I wish they had more everyday cars but hey, cant ask for everything..
Old 04-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #111
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by 04RCSTI View Post
Hey my car doesn't squeel like that.
Maybe you're not cornering hard enough. It could be the type of tire and surface too.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #112
RC45
Regular User

We'll see if its just a matter of time before Forza 3 comes out because I think I'm going to prefer that over GT5 too...
Forza can never be taken seriously (I own and play both still) until such time as Micro$haft allow a decent steering wheel to be made for the XBox family - and until such timew as the Turn10 team get their heads outof their arse and create decent replay cameras.

What is the point of a great racing game, if you cannot review and enjoy the race in replay? - the Forza cameras are amatuer crap at best
Old 04-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #113
79TA
Regular User

eh, the Forza replay cameras aren't as good as the ones in GT4 but they're not bad. The GT4 ones were often a little too perfect. As in, some of the ones that intentionally don't center perfectly look more like real tv cameras. It'd be nice to see a replay system where you could toggle between perfect centering (for your viewing enjoyment) and simulated imperfection (for the sake of being convincing.) I always liked how the GT4 angles always changed to the beat of whatever song was playing.

As for steering wheels, I don't like to use them unless the game is reeeally accurate like something along the lines of GTR. I'll just use the thumbstick for just about any console racing game.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #114
04RCSTI
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
Maybe you're not cornering hard enough. It could be the type of tire and surface too.
Maybe I'm not cornering hard enough? Yeah maybe I wasnt cornering hard enough when I was lapping porsches on the track or putting on a smoke show for instructors on the skidpad hehe as far as tires.. the stockers dont make any noise, nor do my new azenis. I have no idea why the cars squeel so much in those videos...

Also i really dont think they were driving them properly on top gear. A lot of people have no idea how to drive AWD cars fast, even my instructors at the track didnt know and they have been driving high performance cars for 15+ years. Usually they just make them push and push and push and then complain that the cars understeer a lot. Granted i also have -2.5 camber up front so the pushing is gone...

And RC you cant really hate on the game just cause microsoft hasnt made a decent wheel for it and because the replays suck. Come on lol Its not the games fault that microsoft's wheel blows and replays arent THAT important...

Last edited by 04RCSTI; 04-25-2008 at 04:53 PM.
04RCSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #115
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
eh, the Forza replay cameras aren't as good as the ones in GT4 but they're not bad.
They are terrible - always the same. never vary, and at the most exiting parts of many tracks they zoom in on your cars hood.

Pointless

And playing a game, whether GTR/GTL/GTR2/PGRx/ Forzax or GTx or even Enthusia, takes each to a diffierent level with a decent wheel.

I don't drive real cars with joysyticks or controllers, so how is playing a game with one any representaiton of reality at all
Old 04-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #116
04RCSTI
Regular User

hehehe I completely agree that a steering wheel makes a huge difference. If my current wheel for the PC didnt cut out and screw up the throttle every 20 seconds then I would play gtr all the time... unfortunately I need the money to buy some cobalt GTS pads next month since I have a day sebring coming up sometime soon..
Old 04-26-2008, 12:13 AM   #117
79TA
Regular User

Maybe I'm not cornering hard enough? Yeah maybe I wasnt cornering hard enough when I was lapping porsches on the track or putting on a smoke show for instructors on the skidpad hehe as far as tires.. the stockers dont make any noise, nor do my new azenis. I have no idea why the cars squeel so much in those videos...

Also i really dont think they were driving them properly on top gear. A lot of people have no idea how to drive AWD cars fast, even my instructors at the track didnt know and they have been driving high performance cars for 15+ years. Usually they just make them push and push and push and then complain that the cars understeer a lot. Granted i also have -2.5 camber up front so the pushing is gone...

And RC you cant really hate on the game just cause microsoft hasnt made a decent wheel for it and because the replays suck. Come on lol Its not the games fault that microsoft's wheel blows and replays arent THAT important...
It's the running up on the sidewall that is most responsible for squealing. Tire pressure could be a factor. In Motor Trend's ultimate handling test, or whatever it was called, their test Evo showed a ton of sidewall wear compared to the other cars (and no, I haven't confused your car for an Evo.)
Old 04-26-2008, 01:55 AM   #118
HeilSvenska
Regular User

New trailer up.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33254.html
This one is the most accurate one to preview the game. Bits of jagged edges and weird mirage-y effect, and the shade rendering error on the IS-F (only on the IS-F, it seems like).

Still confused about the "Mild Suggested Themes" rating, though.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:31 AM   #119
79TA
Regular User

Oh, i forgot a category . . . the GT series makes the best trailers no doubt
Old 04-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #120
Pokiou
Regular User

I turn the tire scretchs down to the point i can hear it and its not annoying.

Guys i cant afford to buy the propper steering wheel what can i get that is a good replacement?
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote