Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-04-2007, 04:15 AM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default The Most Expensive Car sold over the Phone...

...is the most expensive Rolls Royce ever.

Oldest Rolls sells for record sum

The world's oldest surviving Rolls Royce car has driven away with two records after it sold at auction in London for £3.5m ($7.3m).
The price is the highest ever paid for a car built before 1905 and is also the most for a Rolls Royce.

The open-topped two seater was the fourth vehicle built by the new Charles Rolls and Henry Royce after they began work together in 1904.
An anonymous British collector paid twice the auctioneer's estimate.
Two telephone bidders drove the price up to its record-breaking high in a thrilling bidding war, said a Bonhams auction house spokesman.

'Tickle the carburettor'
The veteran car has had only three careful owners and is in perfect condition, said another Bonhams official.
"The purchaser could get in and drive it away," Tim Schofield, head of UK motor sales for Bonhams, told Reuters news agency.
"You would just need to tickle the carburettor, make sure the battery has a bit of life in it, remove the sleeve from the starter handle and give it a couple of turns."
The previous record for a veteran car built before 1905 was £1.76m paid for a 1884 De Dion Bouton. The most a Rolls Royce has previously fetched was £1.48m for a 1912 Silver Ghost Double Pullman Limousine.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...pe/7126189.stm
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
79TA
Regular User

most expensive 10 horsepower car ever. I suppose it's worth it? I can hardly see past paying 30 grand for a car let alone millions . . . although I'd totally buy an R8 (among others) the second I won the lottery.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:24 AM   #3
RC45
Regular User

I am pissed - they told me it was a left hand drive - I am trying to get them to take it back... bloody used car salesmen.. liars, everyone.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
stmoritzer
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
I am pissed - they told me it was a left hand drive - I am trying to get them to take it back... bloody used car salesmen.. liars, everyone.
I guess he also mentioned the aircondition system

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
fabro_s
Regular User

I cant believe it, how the hell you spend almost 8 million dollars in a car, that you will not drive, you will not clean, you will not share........ DAMN
fabro_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
acmarttin
Regular User

No doubt, the buyer of this car definitely can afford it. I'm sure whomever it is - they have a pretty impressive collection to store it with as well.

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
LOL! That's what you get ordering something over the phone.