Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 11-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
deuces
Regular User

I'm living at university without a car and it SUCKS! There are buses that I can take to get where I want, but a trip to the grocery store that would take around 15 minutes if I had a car has taken me around an hour and a half. I can't stand it.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
regele

I don't know what type of a person you are, but I don't have a car and I walk to college every day, it's a 10-15 minutes walk and I for one appreciate the fact that it's close enough to not have to use public transport and that I do some walking on a daily basis.
The situation may be different for you since you have a family, but if you won't be in a position where you have to rely on public transportation too often I think it's ok.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
silentm
Regular User

i don't know what it's like, having no car, but i guess i am about to find out when i move to Basel in the near future.

as you said you will be going to singapore, well as many have said the infrastructure is great and i don't think you would really start missing your car. unless you just love the everyday commute to work ect
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #4
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i went absolutely bat shit insane without my car when i first moved to Arizona for school. Busses were unreliable, everything was 5 or 6 miles away and all i had was a skateboard. No thanks in 110 degree weather.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
Shinigami
Regular User

I like driving too much... but it's true that trying something new (like moving to another country) can be quite an interesting experience.

I however have been around so much just due to work (roughly 120 days this year spent abroad), that I'm perfectly fine where I am (and having a car).

Too bad Singapore is SO expensive when it comes to vehicles. Much more so then Finland. I think my car over there costs about €150k or so!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
sentra_dude

Interesting plan. I'd like to be able to live without a car - but still own one at the same time. Honestly driving can get pretty old, sitting in traffic, paying for wear and tear on the car, etc. I'd love to live somewhere that had everything in walking distance; walk to work, walk to grocery, walk to a movie theatre, things like that. Its nice to get exercise and not feel like you are having to drive unnecessarily (such as suburbs in America where you must drive 5 miles just to get anywhere). All that being said, after the hurricane hit New Orleans I was stuck at school for several months without a car and it sucked. And this was a place where I could easily walk to class and didn't really need a car per se. It was just the fact that I didn't have a car available if I really wanted it that made it suck so much... I guess if there is good public transport and the distances involved are not too great go for it, if you really can't stand it you can always get a car right (or maybe not since its Singapore)?

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
sameerrao
Regular User

I would find it difficult to live on a long term basis w/o regularly driving a car. Hence the zero attraction in living in NYC, San Francisco. But if it is for a year it should be doable. You can rent a car for a road trip into Malaysia when the driving urge becons.

There has to be some overriding factors that justify a drastic change like this - examples: more money, better career prospects, better family life, etc.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:12 AM   #8
deuces
Regular User

Originally Posted by DrijF360 View Post
why don't you take a cab? even if it's a short distance

having no car is terrible
because I'm in college, which means I'm also broke.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:19 AM   #9
novass
Regular User

I couldn't live without a car. I'm not opposed to using public transportation and I would actually like to have that option from time to time but public transit in LA sucks ass from what I can tell. Even if I used public transpo quite often, I would still like to own a car, any car, just because it is so nice to have and fun to boot.

But, you gotta do what you gotta do.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #10
Darkel
Regular User

I don't think I'd be able to live without a car for too long After a long day I always enjoy driving back home; I also go for a ride everytime I get bored ... but with the prices of petrol that's becoming an expensive hobby :-/
Darkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #11
Vansquish
Regular User

After a year with an RX8 and having transportation for myself throughout high school and college, I'm now living so close to work that it takes all of 7-10 minutes to walk there. As a result, I don't really need a car and not having one of my own is allowing me to save quite a lot of money that would otherwise be spent on gas, insurance, and the car itself. Yes, going to get groceries and running errands can be a pain, but Ann Arbor (where I live currently) is a pretty good town to be in for those who have no means of transport other than their own two feet. The public transportation system isn't bad and it's free, and if worse comes to worst, I can get my hands on a car from one of my friends.

I miss going for drives in the countryside, but I can live without them for the time being.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #12
Z3uS
Regular User

I enjoy cars more in a hobby way than for trasportation. So hell not i'd consider living without one.

But thinking again i really enjoy Bicycles and Motorcycles and would live well with one of those as an extra.