Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > Car Gallery

Old 09-02-2003, 01:17 AM   #1
altezza
Regular User

Default Volkswagen Concept R Prototype (large pix)

CONCEPT R PROTOTYPE REVEALED AHEAD OF FRANKFURT SHOW

Volkswagen has today revealed a mid-engined roadster prototype, named Concept R, which will be shown next week at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

Combining sharp design, outstanding functionality and innovative technology, the Concept R points to the future of the Volkswagen brand, and hints at a possible involvement in the world of genuine sports cars.

Power for the roadster comes from a 265 PS V6 mid-engine which takes the car from 0 to 62 mph in 5.3 seconds, and on to a limited top speed of 155 mph. Without the governor, top speed would be 167 mph. Peak torque of 258 lbs ft at 2800 rpm is transferred to the road via a six speed direct selection gearbox and rear wheel drive.

The Concept R’s design team, led by Murat Günak and Peter Schreyer, broke new ground for the Volkswagen brand in developing the roadster, demonstrating how a sports car packed with aesthetics and emotion could look in the future. At 4.16 metres long, 1.78 m wide and 1.25 m high, the two-seater is around the same length and width as the Golf hatchback.

There are many interesting design features of the Concept R – but one of the most striking is the way the designers have ‘breathed’ life into the car. When the driver turns on the ignition, the Volkswagen logo, which is generated digitally by a display, begins to pulsate in the so-called OLED screen. When the ignition is activated the pulse stops.

Another highly unusual feature is that the Concept R’s bucket seats do not adjust in any way. Instead, to find the correct position, the driver moves the polished metal information block of the instrument panel, including the steering wheel and pedal cluster back or forth which are activated electrically. And for the first time in a sports car, leather-covered active foam is used which adapts to the body shape of the driver and passenger; meanwhile the hardness of the springs in the seats can be adjusted according to whether a harder or softer ride is desired.
altezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 01:18 AM   #2
altezza
Regular User

Concept R – technical data
Length 4163 mm
Width 1778 mm
Height 1250 mm
Front track 1471 mm
Rear track 1250 mm
Engine 3189 cc V6
Max power 265 PS @ 6250 rpm
Max torque 258 lbs ft @2800 rpm
Gearbox Six speed direct selection gearbox (DSG)
Drive Rear wheel drive
Wheels 8.5J x 019 ET 50 with 255/40 R19 tyres
Acceleration 0-62 mph 5.3 seconds
Top speed 155 mph (limited)
altezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 01:23 AM   #3
blah
Regular User

Its just an Audi 1.8 Quattro. Wtf this is why i hate Volkswagon.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:24 AM   #4
crazidude
Regular User

Looks nice and speedy. I wonder how much the car weighs
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 01:30 AM   #5
fedezyl
Regular User

not bad, me likey like the VW..

fedezyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 02:04 AM   #6
sbbs
Regular User

Wow! That's nice! Especialy the front part. Just look at the interior, it's a feast for the driver's eyes. If this thing goes to production, I wouldn't be surprise if it's going to be a hit!

By the way, the shape of the headlights look like the rear lights from Z4 in my opinion.
sbbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 04:44 AM   #7
Wide
Regular User

I like Vw.. My car is Vw 2..
Like this one.. At last Vw will have a really nice sport car..
But the newest models have some problems..
After the guarantee expires they always have problem..
Anyway.. I want to see that one on the road..
Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 06:10 AM   #8
stracing
Regular User

is that all chrome around the steering wheel? try driving that around las vegas.
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 06:35 AM   #9
cho_888
Regular User

um, i think that kind of shape is being used a lot now, i like the look but it looks like a lot of the other new sport car concepts out there.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:57 AM   #10
stradale
Regular User

The front of the car looks a bit too much like that Opel concept from last year, but apart from that it's a very nice looking car. Certainly not as boring as the VWs known today (except the W12 supercar). Enough hp combined with a mid-engined layout seems promising to me. If it's really going into production, I'd choose that over an Audi TT anytime.

Well, that's not fair really. Since I'd never choose an Audi TT over anything...
stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 10:46 AM   #11
gis
Regular User

Originally Posted by blah
Its just an Audi 1.8 Quattro. Wtf this is why i hate Volkswagon.
explain to me how this is the same as a audi 1.8 quattro.this is a bigger engine,more power,more torque,different drive wheels (RWD) its 0-60 is quicker and its top speed is quicker.that doesnt show any resemblance to the audi 1.8

i like this car,always liked VW,this looks a boxter,new audi TT and BMW Z4 competator,should look forward to some good comparisons between all them cars

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 05:35 PM   #12
blah
Regular User

I think i meant Audi TT. But i dont like Volkswagon for some reason. All their american cars are just butt ugly and need to die. Im a BMW, Lamborghini, Ford Chevy, Saleen, Honda, Mitsubishi, Mazda guy i gues you can say. I like my cars to look evil.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:51 PM   #13
draak666
Regular User

Most of the time concept cars are way over the top. But at VW, where such boring cars are designed, this concept actually looks ready to go. I hate VW, but I really think this is a good looking car. Congratulations to VW. It has been since the Golf II that they made an exciting model. Now let's hope they don't take away the cool parts before taking it into production (as I am afraid they will). And let's hope it's not FWD.

The lights look like stretched z4 rear lights. Although it's a rip, it's pretty nice. Dare I say even better than the original?
draak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:01 PM   #14
aawil
Regular User

I wonder how great the handling could be built off a golf platform. I guess the back doesn't look to bad though. Time will tell.
aawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:40 PM   #15
jinmin803
Regular User

it's nice for a VW... not my thing though... is it just me, or does VW seem to becomming a money marketing machine, instead of a real car company... or have i just been slow at noticing this... it's obvious that this is another collection of parts from cars that they are making... [/quote]
jinmin803 is offline   Reply With Quote