Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 01-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
blue8
Regular User

Team Lexus IS-F to Enter GT2 Le Mans Series
Lexus not to compete in DTM

This Friday at the Tokyo Auto Salon Lexus will pull the covers off their latest IS race car. The IS 350 GT2 is powered by a 470+ hp V6 engine and will compete in the American GT2 LeMans Series and not in the German DTM series as many had hoped here in Europe.

The Lexus IS 350 GT2 will make its first appearance at the Twelve Hours of Sebring in Sebring, Fl this March 15-18. Competition will be stiff with the likes of the Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, Panoz Esperante, Ferrari F430 GT, Dodge Viper Competition Coupe and BMW M3.

“Developing and racing two brand-new cars in a new category will be a major challenge, but one that we relish,” said Team Lexus owner/driver Chuck Goldsborough back in 2005. Originally Lexus was planning on entering the GT2 ALMS class back in 2006.

We hope to have more accurate information by the end of the week.
I didn't know the M3 would be a part of this. That's good to know!

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Having had a chance to read up on the rules for GT2 and LMGT2 it is a little dissapointing to say the least.

These cars cost upward of $3 million a year to run and are so far from stock in chassis, engine, body and other components its really just a race of the money teams in "shadow" cars...

Other than the prototypes, there really should only be GT3 and GT1 cars - I mean anyone who thinks their "favourite street car" is represented in GT2 racing is sorely mistaken - these are purpose built and engineered race cars that just happen to slightly resemble their street counterparts
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by blue8 View Post

I didn't know the M3 would be a part of this. That's good to know!
It's probably the old M3 GTRs.
And why is Lexus even bothering with this? You'll know they'll say something like, "we'll get podium finish in 3 years.", but you know it'll end up as a (another) white elephant.

Tokyo show will get another white elephant...in black... in DTM spec, apparently

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Other than the prototypes, there really should only be GT3 and GT1 cars - I mean anyone who thinks their "favourite street car" is represented in GT2 racing is sorely mistaken - these are purpose built and engineered race cars that just happen to slightly resemble their street counterparts
Don't get so grumpy. More cars is always good!
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post

Don't get so grumpy. More cars is always good!
But how many more race formulas do we need that have little resemblance to the real cars?

I would rather see more GT3 "street style" and GT1 "unlimited budget open rules" style events.. and clear the "muddy" GT2 middle ground out.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
But how many more race formulas do we need that have little resemblance to the real cars?

I would rather see more GT3 "street style" and GT1 "unlimited budget open rules" style events.. and clear the "muddy" GT2 middle ground out.
Who doesn't like racing moments like these?

gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote