Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 10-30-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
Sir_GT
Regular User

Default Okami for PS2

Get it. That's all I have to say. Lots of original concepts, yet the overall game experience shares a lot of similarities with classic adventure/rpg-type games such as Zelda and Castlevania (a storyline, learning techniques, collecting stuff, adventure, backtracking, etc.).

It's not a new game at all, but I've only recently found it at our local game shop, so I picked it up as it was made (IIRC) by the same team that put together Viewtiful Joe. It DOES NOT play like viewtiful joe at all though, but the original visuals (cell-shaded, woodblock print-inspired textured 3D) are excellent, and leaves a very unique impression.

Great game. Still playing now. Difficulty is perfect. Not too easy, not stupidly difficult.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Sir_GT
Regular User

Update: 28 hours in and I can't stop playing! BEST ACTION ADVENTURE GAME EVER ON THE PS2. PERIOD!!! I took a peek at some of the walkthroughs, and I'm not even half-way through! Unbelievably long game! (must be the celshaded graphics saving the space for an actual game to exist!)

Tons of mini quests, tasks, secret techniques, and all that other goodness. Puts castlevania, and all the similar games (even, dare I say it, Zelda) to shame.

Screw FF12. This is what games are supposed to be like! It's such a shame that Capcom disbanded Clover Studio (the guys who made this game) due to Capcom's shitty financials. Clover was made up of the creator of Devil May Cry, the creator of Resident Evil, and the creator of Viewtiful Joe.

I can't recommend this game enough. So damn incredible.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by phatbimmer
I don't know if I want to buy this game but sounds interesting and if 36hrs is going and your still playing man it seems like a long game.

My favorite game so far is Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsitence
Rent it at blockbuster if you're not sure. It's worth more than a rental though.

44 hours in already. Checked the forums and the average for completing the game with all the secrets is around 60+ hours, and that's by the guys who check the FAQs. A friend of mine is on 80 hours already, but he's insisting to not use the FAQs.

Here's the thing: I love substinence as well. I love MGS-type games. I love Zelda games, and I love Castlevania: SOTN-type games. Now if you have the same taste as me, you're going to absolutely love Okami.

I pray they turn this into a series, and continue it on the PS3. Having Jap Anime theatrical movie-quality celshaded graphics would be incredible.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
Sir_GT
Regular User

50 hours... Still missing 2 major weapons, 1 brush technique and a whole shitload of mystic beads.

99 Mystic beads = once completed, and you start a new game using that record (which means that you start a new game with your full inventory and level) will give you a beaded necklace item in similar fashion as what akuma wears around his neck. This will give you "God mode" powers (unlimited everything)

Great fucking game. It's insane once you've learned the brush techniques by heart. Normally, when you begin the game, you start with just hacking away at the opponents:

"square,square,square..., kill one opponent, move to the next, repeat..."

then when you start collecting brush techniques and more and more weapons, it becomes completely insane (partly also because your enemies do also become harder/smarter/better), so the fight turns out something like:

amateras vs 2 giant wheels, one ice, one fire...

mist (to slow down time) ->

"source" the fire of one opponent to melt the ice of the other ->

create a grenade to stun the fire opponent while you dash to the ice-less one whilst charging your glaive ->

release the glaive to damage the opponent ->

create a grenade next to the iced opponent ->

mist again to slow down time ->

gale (wind) to blow away the stunned fire opponent's fire ->

dash to the fire opponent whilst charging your glaive again ->

release to slash->

leave grenade next to him ->

mist again ->

block the spinning ice wheel with your reflector weapon to counter his attack and spinning piledriver him into oblivion (yes, im serious) ->

as he goes into his death animation, "slash" him with a god brush technique to cut him in half (a la mortal kombat fatality) ->

gale (wind) again to blow the fire wheel out ->

pee (yes, pee!) on it to get a demon fang ->

slash with your weapon to kill ->

during the death animation, create a grenade to blow it to bits (fatality again) and collect the spoils...

Keep in mind you have to do all of this in a span of 120 seconds to get a time bonus, and all the action happens in real time, like zelda or castlevania, no turn-based crap.

Wild.
Fucking.
Game.