Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 06-10-2004, 11:01 PM   #1
sikx5
Regular User

Default Fellow alfa nuts - Need help in choosing 155 please

hey all,
well im thinking about buying a Alfa 155 for my first car. Its not the car i wanted originally(ST205 GT4) but its pretty nice. Here is the link to the car. http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsa...ch_distance=25
Here are some pics of the car

Was wondering if someone here could point out what i should be looking at and any problems i should be aware of when im test driving the car? im flying down to NSW to test it out so i hope it wont be a complete waste of time. And just out of curisoty, was wondering what was your first car?
Old 06-12-2004, 11:55 PM   #2
Mers
Regular User

well...the car looks great...however it IS an alfa...
these cars normally have many problems...so check it properly..otherwise you might get a disaster...

ask what conditions it has been kept in, and look for minuscious details..

otherwise, it should be the coolest alternative to a 3-series of the same time....
Old 06-13-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
Mers
Regular User

basically, check this link:
http://www.carsfromitaly.com/alfaromeo/index.html

click on the 155 section and they give a great overview on what the seller does to make the car look good, and they have a detailed list for you to check when you are buying one
Old 06-13-2004, 12:24 AM   #4
antonioledesma
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mers
basically, check this link:
http://www.carsfromitaly.com/alfaromeo/index.html

click on the 155 section and they give a great overview on what the seller does to make the car look good, and they have a detailed list for you to check when you are buying one
Excellent link!!
check for corrosion in the chasis, look below the car, in the...shit... the boot, the emergency tyre and the place where it goes. Also for any impacts on the rims and wheels.
Go to check the car in a sunny day so you can see any repainted or crashed body parts. They should look the exact same color without any discolorations or with the paint not reflecting (the way you can see yourself in the paint). If you have doubts knock lightly the panel for something strange
move and try to shake a little the fenders for strange and excessive movement
it's better to start the engine for the first time that day so you can hear any weird noises (belts, etc) proper of any car that has some years.
look for any oil or any fluid stains in the floor where they keep the car.

when having the test ride don't let the owner/salesman turn up the volume on the stereo so you can't hear noises from the suspension, wheels, engine, any noise. Check for the alignment of the suspension letting go the steering wheel and see if the car goes somewhere else than a straight line.
change smoothly and rapidly the gears, pushing to the metal the clutch (if the car is manual, I don't know if it is), try to play with it, with all the kinds of gear changes you can think of and use everyday
If the car is auto, slowly accelerate to feel every gear change, now a kick down so you can feel if the gearbox needs a tune-up, it's useless or is in an excellent shape

open the bonnet and look for more repainted parts, an extra soldering in case of a crash, any bent or creased part, joint, etc. Don't be afraid of going to the floor and check the underbody, exhaust system.

at last but not least, check all the electric toys (power windows, cigarrete lighter, stereo) alone and all together.

maybe I'm forgeting something, but I hope this helps you
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 10:06 AM   #5
sikx5
Regular User

Thanks for the advice fellas, much appreciated.