Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > MotorWorld Car Reviews

Old 09-07-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
TT
Regular User

Default Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VII (340 hp)

Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VII

After some diesels and less exciting car, it was about time to post something about a true sportcar

More pics :arrow:

Specifications

Engine - I4 turbo, 1998cc
Power - 340 hp @
Torque -
Weight -
Fuel Tank -
Max Speed (declared) -
Acceleration (declared), 0-100 km/h -
Fuel economy (out of town / town / mixed) -
Tranny - 6 gears manual

:arrow: Power graph - http://img41.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_487lo.jpg

Seats - 5
Doors - 4
Lenght / width -
Height -
Boot -

Exterior

Won't be a long chapter I guess. We are pretty used to Lancers and after the VI their styling pretty much standardised, to the point most ppl don't like them anymore.
Actally now that we got the VII and the IX, looking back at the VII I find some proprely sharp and strong lines I really love. Less hooligan than a VI yet not as "popular" as an VIII could be.
Also, the VII is quite more exclusive around here. No idea what happened with that generation, but they sold very few units, so you won't risk to be parked beside a car looking exactly like yours at the shopping mall.
Finished in a stealthy silver with just some very subtle Digit Power (Swiss tuner) decals, this is quite a sleeper despite the BBS wheels installed by the owner.

Interior

Doh! You know it. As for american cars, Lancers doesn't shine for their interior quality, and don't seem to improve that much despite critics. Probably because we are not talking about an Audi, BMW or Mercedes.
And you know what? Those cheap plastics and simple buttons aren't that terrible afterall. When there are too many gizmos and cool looking functions you tend not to focus on the driving and it means you are in a big cruiser. That said, you could have a simple and focused cabin without making it look that cheap IMO.
This particular EVO is a bit special because you actually have to drop your ass into a proper racing seat, or almost instead of the usual seats, which are already pretty good and supportive in the VII, on the driver's side you'll find a Porsche 996 GT3 seat which seem quite out of place with its Porsche badge and all, but also provide some first class support and feeling. Definitely not a bad idea, and the owner having also a Porsche in his garage (997 cabrio and a couple of very fast 997 on order), it is partially justified

How does it drive?

Again, this one is modified, ence some details sure differ from a stock evo. From the first meters the suspension feels very firm and the steering direct. The thin seat transmit every little bump in the road to your body and there is a bit of squeaking and such coming from here and there. At low speed, with no boost the car is lazy but the exhaust note already there to remember you this is no ordinary evo VII.
Well, first straightaway opens up and the owner asks me to see what second gear can do.. sure, why not , I drop down a gear, be sure the wheels are pointing in the right direction and give some flooring. At first I wanted to check the revs, but suddently I felt the turbo brutally kicking in and decided it wasn't a smart idea not to have my eyes on the road. The way the engine delivers once on boil is frantic, manic, and definitely VERY scary. I actually drove this car some days before the Diablo, and not even an epic italian V12 can produce such scary thrust. I wasn't able to be brave enough to caress the red line and slotted the stick into third some 1000 rpm too early.
In the corners the car feels so damn planted, yet alive, sensible to any minor surface or camber change. It kinda remembers a Mini or other brillant hatches. You definitely feel the car dancing and ready to do whatever you want. These days we are no more used to such directness and rapid response and at first it is almsot weird because every minor input produce a reaction, almost too big of a reaction for such small inputs. Then of course you start to get in the mood and as you can imagine, it's just pure fun and quite sad to jump back in a normal modern car. Since a while I decided I'll try to get myself a real car from the 70 in a while, to be able to really drive it and not beeing driven by it. Actually such pure cars still exist maybe if you look at the EVO, but well, we shouldn't forget all the YAW things that keep in check that ultra complicated AWD system and those 300+ ponies. Yet, at normal speeds when the technology doesn't need to interfer to keep you alive, this car is really a joy!

What are the most positive features of the car?

Direct
Stunning pulling power
Understated and sleeper

What are the most negative features of the car?

Cheap interior
Not easy to find a good one
Probably not very relaxing on long journeys

How do you think this car compares to its direct competition?

Well, it's competition kinda resume to the Impreza and IMO the Lancer alway got the edge

Conclusion

Many ppl don't like turboed cars. So do I, if given the choice I'd still take a vocal NA engine anyday, but once in a while it's just enlightening to floor a car which still has some turbo lag that let you full appreciate a mighty turbo shove. I already experimented a stock EVO VIII's kick and definitely those extra 60 horses make a HUGE difference.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
TopGearNL
Regular User

Nice review TT. You can tell you had a nice time and enjoyed yourself. Definately one of your best

Any turbolack btw
Old 09-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
TT
Regular User

You mean turbo lag?

Yes, there is some. Actually when you drive off boost for the first time, you think the car is already quick enough. But when you experience the full boost effect once, you'll realise there is basically nothing before it kicks in
Old 09-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
You mean turbo lag?

Yes, there is some. Actually when you drive off boost for the first time, you think the car is already quick enough. But when you experience the full boost effect once, you'll realise there is basically nothing before it kicks in
Thats what I meant TT, LOL sorry about my spelling ops:

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #5
dingo
Regular User

Turbo cars with AWD are great, it really is alot of fun to drive everyday....though stock ones getting boring pretty quickly and the mods start, as this owner has obviously found out.

Nice review and sounds like you enjoyed yourself, now just take back the comment about Lancers being ahead of Imprezas.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
TNT
Regular User

looks good TT, any video?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
TeflonTron
Regular User

TT: do you mean that the car felt faster than the Diablo, or was faster? I just can't see an Evo, with 340 at the wheels, accelerating faster than a Diablo, that's all. Just asking.
TeflonTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:40 AM   #8
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by TNT
looks good TT, any video?
Sadly time is usually limited for such photoshoots, so, even if I would like to take some good vids (and I don't ), it would be impossible

Originally Posted by TeflonTron
TT: do you mean that the car felt faster than the Diablo, or was faster? I just can't see an Evo, with 340 at the wheels, accelerating faster than a Diablo, that's all. Just asking.
No, of course the Diablo IS quicker, but it's a totally different sensation. Very hard to explain, and yet, especially to 60 or 80 km/h an AWD 340 Lancer is for sure DAMN quick! And the turbo quick always make you believe the car is even faster.
Above 100 though, it's not that the EVO feels breathless, but well, a big V12 once rolling is like a train and will just go on accelerating more and more
Old 09-08-2006, 05:52 AM   #9
bultaco_metralla
Regular User

MMMM very pro review dude!! I almost understood all...!! I like the VII but i Rather the VI as more agressive look!!! In black, like in Taxi 2 film... mmmmmmm im going to post about taxi film in the section.... LOL!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #10
yg60m
Regular User

Thanks TT, I like your car reports. More from a feeling view than in magazines