Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 01-07-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
StanAE86
Regular User

Default Including Mac Notebook in LAN

I need some help from the computer oriented. I have a desktop and two laptops. The desktop and one laptop is running XP. The other laptop is a Mac iBook G4 running...Panther...I think? It's OS X.

I've figured out how to network the two Windows based computers...but can't figure out the Mac. Can someone help? And, in case it means something I didn't know...by "network," I mean link the desktop and Mac. For example, the desktop has a printer hooked to it. I want to be able to print off the Mac, without using wires or a jump drive and transferring the files to the desktop to print.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2007, 12:09 AM   #2
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Well I am not so sure but I think its not possible if you want to make it print from both Mac and PC...although I dont see why it doesnt work? Also what kinda print hub you got?
Old 01-07-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
StanAE86
Regular User

I don't have anything fancy. Desktop is connected to a all in 1 printer via USB cable. I think there should be a way to do it...I just can't find where all the network preferences are to try and figure it all out. I'm sure there must be some Mac-heads here....
Old 01-07-2007, 12:30 AM   #4
Pimp Racer
Regular User

So you wanna print wirelessly? Get one of them Wireless Printer hubs or whatever. I gotta go but I give you a link in a few hours if you are on still....gonna plays some madden 07 with the bro.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:03 AM   #5
StanAE86
Regular User

Plus share files...like pics and stuff. All the pics we take on the camera are uploaded to the desktop. I want to be able to see those pics and maybe choose one for a desktop background sometime, etc.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:05 AM   #6
graywolf624
Regular User

to share the files go to the network setup in your mac( search through it.).. Theres an option to share to pcs in there.. Enable that portion to allow it through the firewall.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:49 AM   #7
ae86_16v
Regular User

Gray is right.

Go to System Preferences ---> "Sharing" under Internet & Networks ---> Click "Windows Sharing"

But this only gives you access to the Public Files.

In terms of Print sharing, you could do it the same way, click on "Printer Sharing" but one computer has to be connected to the printer and it has to be on all the time. If not you will have to get a Printer Server like Pimp Racer said. That way, just plug in your printer into the Print Serve.

Also you gotta allow it via your Firewall tab too. So check it under Services then check it under Firewall too.

Or you could use this:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...orwindows.html

But I have never used it before. You should be able to enable Bonjour for both Windows and OS X.

Good luck.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
StanAE86
Regular User

Thanks guys! I'll give it a try later today.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:38 AM   #9
StanAE86
Regular User

Okay, found all that and clicked on Windows Sharing and Printer Sharing. This only seems to allow Windows users to print to a printer on the Mac and not the Mac printing off my desktop?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:42 AM   #10
RC45
Regular User

You need to share the printer on the PC, and then install/activate/enable the Windows Client on the Mac.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:55 AM   #11
StanAE86
Regular User

The printer is set to sharing. And the Mac has share printer clicked...am I missing an additional step?

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:03 AM   #12
RC45
Regular User

What you are doing is setting the PC to "offer" the printer for sharing... and the Mac to use the shared printer.

So you need to be able to get your Mac to "see" the shared printer your PC has on offer.

I don't know how a Mac would see the shared PC printer, but in our world we would look for \\PC_Name\Printer_Share_name

Make sense?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:26 AM   #13
StanAE86
Regular User

Yeah. I got my notebook all set up fine. Printing...sharing folders, etc. Mac is just too different for me to understand, even though I'm sure it's probably easier.