Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #16
10000rpmlover
Regular User

Originally Posted by pitfield View Post
What about the E46? a real stinker?
the E46 carried over many of the things from the previous e36, as such it turned out not to be hideous, however the soul of BMW was on life support at this point as the car became more "unnoticeable" you could distinguish any e36 anywhere, the 46 started to look like everything else

the E90.... the most hideous thing ever conceived, it shames BMW for looking like a cheap Honda accord, this is what bangle considers his crowning achievement, even going into a rampage when someone asked him at a trade show if he was dumb deaf and blind...

I am not a fan, will never be, that guy needs to go back to making porcelain sinks

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #17
pitfield
Regular User

And when was the E36 introduced? it was also a radical departure from the E30, just like the E90 was from the E46. Not saying I love E90s looks but I love the car, I've had about 10 of them.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:53 AM   #18
Alelanza
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Better looking than pre-bangle BMW's?
My favorite ones are the e30 and e46, neck and neck, now if i had to choose i'd stay with the e30, so the final answer would be no. OTOH the e46 stands out more in my mind as i really disliked the e36, despite the two of them sharing many design queues the e46 is a far better design in the end. This being said i don't follow the 5 and 7 series much so I don't have much of an opinion on those.
Alelanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #19
FoxFour
Regular User

Remember, when the first year BMW 'Bangled design cars' came out, they did not cause a design sensation like BMW hoped it would. It was the next year models which toned down his design influence which gave BMW buyers the confidence to buy these cars. There are some designers that can pull off an exterior car design, Bangle wasn't totally IT. Yes, some of his design cues will stay around and influence future designers. But IMO, his total exterior design did not strike me particularly well.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote