Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-07-2004, 12:26 AM   #1
DUNKiNUTS

Default Beater challenge

Hey guys i need some help. My friend and I are setting up a challenge and are budget is around 1,500 dollars. that is the cost of the vehicle and parts for the go-go goods Any ideas on what there is cheap out there? I can go over budget or increase. Nothing is set in stone.
DUNKiNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:29 AM   #2
papaSMURF
Regular User

buy an old s10, on a local board im on ive seen one go for 200 running n all... actually any older american car car be had for fairly cheap (mustang under 1k etc) it all depends what you actually want.
papaSMURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:37 AM   #3
ZfrkS62
Regular User

geo storm, 4 cylinder of course pull the head and port it out, replace the original gasket with a thinner one and use more octane. Slap on a nitrous kit (if your challenge allows for it) find some larger injectors too (junkyard should work fine )

can't wait to see how this one ends up. post pics and a vid when your challenge is done

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:01 AM   #4
findleybeast
Regular User

hit up the junkyards. good chance you'll find a wrecked car with a working engine, then swap that into a cheap car w/ a ruined engine and you'll be set

what does this "challenge" entail anyway?

Xbox Live Gamertag: TheSlusbe
findleybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:58 AM   #5
Vansquish
Regular User

Fox-body Mustang, 5.0LX autos can be found for that kind of money, granted they only had something like 230bhp and anything you find for less than 1500 bucks will probably have more like 100bhp, but it's a start hehe. Kind of depends on what sort of challenge you're doing though. Any more info??

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:46 AM   #6
SilviaEvo
Regular User

how about a 1988 Chevy Astro take all the unneeded crap out and put in a Sparco and put some Nitrous in the back and maybe a turbo or two? or is that asking too much?
Old 12-07-2004, 03:57 AM   #7
666fast
Regular User

Does it matter to you how long the car lasts? LOL

Go get an old turbo something. Crank the boost and embarass your friends. Don't expect the engine to last long though.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:23 AM   #8
DUNKiNUTS

thanks guys good suggestions.

The challenge is just really between me and him right now. But the only real rule is the budget anything else is fair game. but it has to be our car/truck/van. We can rent one or barrow one of a friend. We can work with people but the budget is still there. So basicly we have a max. of 1500 dollars to spend on the car and mods.

I would like the car to last somewhat long so i can keep taking it to the track and run it. Also it at this point in time has to be street legal b/c i don't have anything to tow it with now.

please keep the suggestions coming.

the goal is to have the fastest ET, or we are talking about maybe just the most improved
Old 12-07-2004, 01:59 PM   #9
Gnome
Regular User

Being americans I expect you to compete by drag racing. I think that's a legitimate prejudice, but am I right?
Old 12-07-2004, 03:43 PM   #10
DUNKiNUTS

in a way. We in MD don't have any real road courses to play on, the drag strip is only 20min. down the road.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:16 PM   #11
DUNKiNUTS

hey guys i found this on e-bay
[ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...509997988&rd=1 ]

does anyone know the reliebility of the BMW?
Old 12-07-2004, 07:58 PM   #12
findleybeast
Regular User

as far as I have seen those older E30 BMWs were pretty good. They didn't have a lot of the engine problems the newer ones do (correct me if i'm wrong you BMW experts)

do keep in mind that even though it's an old beater bmw, new parts are still bmw parts, which means more expensive than they should be

looks like a pretty sweet deal though. that would be a fun car to have. stripping out the interior and sound deadening should give you a pretty good weight loss too (w/ any car you get) so that should improve performance. remove the sunroof too, those things are damn heavy. should definitely improve handling

Xbox Live Gamertag: TheSlusbe
findleybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:04 PM   #13
ZfrkS62
Regular User

keep in mind that even if you get it cheap on ebay, you still have to pay to get it to you.

try a police auction. you can get some great cars there for dirt cheap The cheaper the car, the money for mods camaros and monte carlos tend to be favorites of drug dealers

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:34 PM   #14
DUNKiNUTS

yeah i was just surfing and found that. But when i go home for break i am doing the junkyard search.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:29 AM   #15
LotusGT1
Regular User

What about a nice DSM....Talon's are cheap to make fast so I've heard...