Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 03-24-2004, 11:50 PM   #1
ae86_16v
Regular User

Default Projector Headlights Dual Beams

Question: So I was looking at the Enzo and the Gallardo. I notice that both only have one projector per side. Do new cars come w/ dual beam within one projector now?

I thought that wasn't possible since hi-beams has different focal points in the lense so that the light shoots further and scatters more. Where as low beams are more focused.

So how is it possible to have both beams in one projector?!?!
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 11:52 PM   #2
Tomerville
Regular User

The Porsche Turbo was the first car to have one projector per unit assembly, and it has a plastic sheet which slides in front of the light to change the angle. I don't know about the others.

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 01:27 AM   #3
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by SnowboarderTom
The Porsche Turbo was the first car to have one projector per unit assembly, and it has a plastic sheet which slides in front of the light to change the angle. I don't know about the others.
Really? I thought the section right below the projector was the high beam section. Look at it in this picture. . .

http://www.highresautoimages.com/porsche/turbo21.jpg
Old 03-25-2004, 01:34 AM   #4
Tomerville
Regular User

Nah, if you see the car in action, you'll see they are just running lights. I'll post some pix early next week of it all

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 04:39 AM   #5
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by SnowboarderTom
Nah, if you see the car in action, you'll see they are just running lights. I'll post some pix early next week of it all
But still the aperture of the lenses still doesn't change i.e. the focal point of the beam.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #6
ae86_16v
Regular User

Pictures???
Old 04-08-2004, 09:26 PM   #7
jj23
Regular User

On my dad's Audi S6 that has the bixenon headlights....another lense slides in front of the projector expanding the beam and making it scatter more just like you said. They still put the normal halogen high beams on too making for extremely bright headlights!.... and if i'm not mistaken i think the porsche is the same way. I assume the Gallardo and enzo work the same way, just having a single prector with another lense that slides in place and expands the beam when the hi-beams are switched on.
jj23 is offline   Reply With Quote