Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

View Poll Results: Did they screw up the Mercedes SLR ?
Screw up, what the fuck are you talking about? it's great 7 20.59%
It's a total mess & they even dare asking 313.000 pounds 14 41.18%
Well I like the looks so pitty it isn't a better car 10 29.41%
They will fix the flaws it has because it's a Mercedes - they don't have flaws 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
1zippo1
Regular User

Default Did they screw up the SLR ?

When I first looked at it I though it wasn't very nice and it would be just a fast cruiser... But I'm beginning to appreciate the looks more and more. That long bonnet, those nice styling thingies like those grills behind the front wheels, the way the doors open, ...

And if you look at the techy part, it produces 626hp, goes from 0-100km/h in 3.8sec, top speed of 334km/h. And that's pretty impressive don't you think.

So as I see it these are the pos & neg points:

Positive
- great engine & performance
- those looks...
- some original caracteristics (rear lights, doors, ...)

Negative
- plasticy interior
- no brake feeling at all
- automatique gear box (ok but not in a supercar common)
- the weight is much more then they announced & more the other supercars

BUT: can they restore it? Ok the gearbox will stay and the weight won't decrease much but can't they install hydrolics to give more feeling to the brakes & can't they change the interior?

1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 07:02 PM   #2
oscargarza88
Regular User

i like this car but if i had the cash i would defenetly wont buy one, i would but a cgt anyday over this
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 07:12 PM   #3
TT
Regular User

I hate to place a vote on the second option since if it's not really what I think...

I perfectly agree with Richard Hammond.. it's a good car, a good Mercedes, but it isn't what it pretend to be: a good supercar...
It's "just" the most powerfull Merc around.. fast but not that thrilling in the real word IMO
Old 12-20-2003, 07:14 PM   #4
Chingachgook
Regular User

I'd go for a CGT or an Enzo, or even a TVR Typhn, but I'll never buy the SLR.
The weight problem can be easily resolved. Mercedes says the SLR won't race, but, if someone want strip down it, it's very easy to lost weight.
Then the big problem is the gearbox...but, hey..you're so rich! You can always order a sequential gearbox...
Old 12-20-2003, 07:58 PM   #5
hemi_fan
Regular User

I would buy the car if the price was right, but for that much I'd have to be a hardcore merc fan. But its flaws are easily fixable IMO. you can get the interior redone real nice for like $20k, and the brakes could be fixed by some tuner im sure for a fairly cheap price (in comparison to the car). If you were going to spend that much on the car Im sure u'd be able to afford the upgrades, but I dont know if u'd spend that much on a car that needs upgrading.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 08:11 PM   #6
deth
Regular User

i think they did teh best they could while still sticking to design princlples and buold quality. But on the other hand its kind of disappointing that its not a no comprimise car like many of the recent supercars that have been produced. so in all, a good effort, but IMO missed the mark :roll:

oh...and i hate the plasticy interior...what a let down.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:16 PM   #7
aawil
Regular User

I think it looks horrible.But I'm not a fan of mercedes styling either.I don't think they have anything to worry about there are plenty of people with more money than good taste out there.
aawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 09:07 PM   #8
st-anger
Regular User

unfortunately it`s too much MB, so it can`t be a real supercar like Enzo or CGT...
a friend of mine HAD an order on a SLR, but after the driving event he cancled his order...
of course he got the downpayment of 50k€ back...
sure it`s a very, very nice car and it`s a true beauty, it has a marvellous engine as well, but it`s too comfortable=too heavy for a real supercar, it doesn`t handle like e.g. a CGT...

that`s what he told me:
there were three cars available for driving, SL500, SL55 and SLR...
they were able to test drive all of them on their own on a handling course and on a oval were they reached speeds up to 160mph...
engine is simply great, steering is quite good, a bit too comfortable, some problems at higher speeds as well but on the other hand also very direct.
brakes are kinda difficult to dose, and on longer runs they`ve some problems with the weight...
handling: very good and neutral, also very good grip...
interiour: dissapointing...
but a nice thing they experienced, they got a ride on the hot seat with a pro McLaren test driver who pushed the SLR up to 205mph, definitely an experience...

BUT: a DIN weight of 1768kg....
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 10:17 PM   #9
godspeed06
Regular User

i like the hood, but that back of the car and the front of the car don't go together. i dont like it. its like they had two different guys working on the back and front without knowledge of what the other was doing.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 10:31 PM   #10
cho_888
Regular User

its a carbin fibre GT car with funky brakes and thats about it. This should compete with 575, vanquish ect.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:33 PM   #11
sikx5
Regular User

The interior is not a big problem. Sure its plastic, but who cares, it can be changed. The brakes on the other hand seem to be a problem or maybe not as the test driver didnt have much experience to it. once you begin to drive the car surely the brakes will become all but common and you should get used to it?
Old 12-21-2003, 01:06 AM   #12
Ziploc
Regular User

small wheels

automatic

bad braks (?)

mclaren? no way

therefore not worth the price
Ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:13 AM   #13
deth
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ziploc
small wheels
how are they small? it has 19 x 11.5 in. rear rims
19 x 9 in. front rims P295/30ZR19 rear tires P255/35ZR19 front tires
Old 12-21-2003, 01:55 AM   #14
Toronto
Regular User

it is good but no F1, very said i heard that Benz really stoped this car from going anywhere, they wanted it to b an auto, and they wanted a v8 with a blower, so this is really just a sl-55amg with a McLaren designed body
Old 12-21-2003, 02:55 AM   #15
levensnevel
Regular User

Shame it isn't a worthy successor of the Macca F1 :cry:
Suppose that Mercedes Benz will fix the teething problems and that it will sell well in their target markets. But when I had to choose between a Ferrari Enzo, a Porsche's Carrera GT and a Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren I know which one would be dropped immediately from that shortlist :roll:

Niets of niemand zegt dat het echt moet
En toch, of juist daarom,wil je het beleven....

Weblog
levensnevel is offline   Reply With Quote