Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII
subzero 14 25.93%
cool 27 50.00%
uncool 7 12.96%
seriously uncool 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
System
Regular User

Default Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII

System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
TopGearNL
Regular User

Cool but not more..

Possibly the fastest car from getting from A to B, but not the one with the most fun
Old 01-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Supercar performance, tons of grip... and a turbo engine that is able to outrun many "sports car"
So the verdict?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
tuffguy
Regular User

Why the VIII and not the IX?

tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Ghostbat
Regular User

One of few cars on the cool wall I've actually driven and it was some serious good fun. That makes it cool.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
tuffguy
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
And why not?

I don't know really - I had this pic in the computer and that's the pic I've posted...
I'm a little biased.

tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
TopGearNL
Regular User

An Evo is a Evo
Old 01-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
sameerrao
Regular User

Cool car IMO.

Like a little terrier, the Evo and STi can drag themselves thru corners like much more powerful and vaunted sports cars. And when the weather goes bad - they can go into the distance.

I think perhaps one of the best affordable trackday weapons - can beat higher powered cars like the Z06 - right RC

The car has rally cred even through in recent years they have done dogshit. My fave Evo is the Tommi Makkinen car - Evo 6 (correct model?) 8)

To me though a car like this makes sense only if you drive it like you stole it - meaning full throttle, banzai style. I am not sure its hard suspension and turbo lag would be condusive to normal driving/relaxing drive home. I believe its hardcore nature appeals to people in the 18-25 age group. Once older, one would gravitate to a more luxurious sports sedan like say a used M5 and a proper 2 door sports car like a 993, Vette,etc.

I am also not a fan of its engine note - pretty dull.

Very effective car and has a rabid fan population - therefore deserves a Cool rating for sure

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #9
chest3r
Regular User

Uncool, to me.

This a really bad car to own.

I've seen some of people who doesn't know nothing about cars and see this 4 door saloon with a lot of air intakes and that big rear wing and they think it's just a riced up car.

I don't think I would to be seen as a ricer :roll:

But, I have another point. The Evo 7 is quite diferent from the 6 and it looks cool. This is just a small evolution, and the Evo 9 looks a bit better than this IMO.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #10
ae86_16v
Regular User

WRC heritage is enough for me to put it into "Cool".
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #11
HeilSvenska
Regular User

First of all, the cabin's very very very poor, and so are the people who sell them, at least in California.

Anyways, it's uncool or even seriously uncool. It's a bad looking 4 door with a huge wing and hedgehog spikes with big intakes ^ like he said.

I mean, I'm sure the performance is stupendous, but so many... so many college students buy them thinking that they'll like rule the parking structure at my school.

I think it's uncool. I know it's biased, but there are two very sad incidents that make me laugh.

One is... I went to the OC Auto Show, AKA California Auto Show last year and sat on an Evo pretending I was drifting. (yes I make fun of drifters) And just as I got out, I was attacked by a sales manager of some sort. I was not prepared at all for that. Anyways he started to ramble about how cool it is, you know Evo and all that. Then, to shut him up, I asked him why NA only gets the FQ-Lessthan300hp Evos. Then he goes on and on about how roads in Europe don't have speed limits. BS I say to myself. And corrects him by telling him that the car's from Japan, first of all, and also tell him that the FQ-400, the fastest Evo's sold in the UK, neither of which are not exactly known for their open wide roads. :roll: Then, he says Evo's good for putting in aftermarket stuff. And I shut him up completely by arguing that such action would void the warranty in an already fragile car. And I wondered how Mitsubishi could still have business with employees like him.

And another funny anecdote is...
One morning, in my school parking structure, I hear a blaring noise. Ricer, i thought. It was just an Evo coming into park. Couple of minutes later, I see it and it still hasn't park. (the guy had this obnoxious techno on, I had to look) Anyways, they guy stops in front of the space...then opens the door and leans out!!! Then, he proceeds to reverse into the space. Oh man, I had one of the best laughs that day.

Funny stories. They might not really tell you whether or not an Evo's cool, but certainly many people surrounding them aren't.

One more thing. Evos and WRXs haven't won any WRC Championships recent years (or individual Rallys for that matter). So that makes it worse. A car based on a race car that doesn't do well at all...hmmmmm... If anything, Peugeot, Citroen, and Ford should make overpowered WRC hatchbacks.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #12
ViperASR
Regular User

as fast as many supercars today for a hella cheap price, subzero.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #13
ae86_16v
Regular User

Come on guys, you guys are bashing it because it has a cheap interior? No shit it has a cheap interior. It is a 30k car. Why don't you guys bash the Elise/Exige or Atom for having NO INTERIOR?

I mean it is a econo car w/ a 300hp engine. For what it is, and the price it carries with the performance, it is a VERY COOL car. No Sub-zero, but definitely cool.

And yes, the people that do drive them tend to be kids. So what? It doesn't make it any slower.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:43 PM   #14
fsandys
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
Come on guys, you guys are bashing it because it has a cheap interior? No shit it has a cheap interior. It is a 30k car. Why don't you guys bash the Elise/Exige or Atom for having NO INTERIOR?
:good: Absolutely, but if they don't get it, that's up to them.

Fantastic car, one of my all time favourites.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #15
EvolutioniuM
Regular User

Subzero With No Doubt, For being a Playstation Supercar!!!

Evos are made to be driven to the limit; pushing you hard to your Recaro when accelerating and wetting your pants around bends, nothing but a true enthusiast would own an Evo

EvolutioniuM is offline   Reply With Quote