Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 03-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
graywolf624
Regular User

^Dare I say it... It looks identical to my car had I splurged the 2 grand extra for the 4lt interior. I wouldnt quote the interior as the improvement.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #17
toffytofik
Regular User

Forget the interior! I wanna see the numbers!
toffytofik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #18
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
^Dare I say it... It looks identical to my car had I splurged the 2 grand extra for the 4lt interior. I wouldnt quote the interior as the improvement.
And those in the know, Jay Leno included - have said "There is nothing wrong with the interior."
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #19
enzoferrari
Regular User

The interior is is good,is not a luxury car,its a Supercar.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:48 PM   #20
04RCSTI
Regular User

Originally Posted by enzoferrari View Post
The interior is is good,is not a luxury car,its a Supercar.
Don't kid yourself, the interior is full of cheap painted plastic and that is NOT a supercar feature. The actual layout could be salvageable if only Chevy used better materials. You're paying $80,000 for the Z06 and $100,000 for the ZR1. I'm sure Chevy could do better for that price. Come on..

How do they not understand that they will sell that many more cars if they just bump up the quality a little bit? It just boggles my mind that a company that can produce such a great car cant just think... "hey maybe if we take quality up a notch we could dig a little bit more into the market now occupied by the european brands!!" Nobody would be alienated by an interior upgrade, they can only GAIN marketshare. Dont argue with me about costs because not only does the Z06 have a WIDE price margin until the next comparable supercar, but people who can afford to buy an $80k 2 seater supercar can pay a few grand more for a higher quality interior.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:59 AM   #21
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 04RCSTI View Post
How do they not understand that they will sell that many more cars if they just bump up the quality a little bit? It just boggles my mind that a company that can produce such a great car cant just think... "hey maybe if we take quality up a notch we could dig a little bit more into the market now occupied by the european brands!!" Nobody would be alienated by an interior upgrade, they can only GAIN marketshare. Dont argue with me about costs because not only does the Z06 have a WIDE price margin until the next comparable supercar, but people who can afford to buy an $80k 2 seater supercar can pay a few grand more for a higher quality interior.
Ferrari sold a TOTALof 6000 cars last year - GM probably sold about 7000 Z06's.

Upping the price will not lead to more sales.

The person putting down $200,000 for a car is not on any kind of budget - many average Joes can finance a Viper of Vette, even at $80,000 to $100,000.

Adding more crap on the interior would only increase weight - the only reason they ar e even offering "upgraded" interiors, is because people complained.. and it was people who didn't even buy the car who complained.

And exotic material interior costs upwards of $30,000 to produce/replace - so what good is a $130,000 ZR1 just to have a heavier "poseurific" interior?

Nothing.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:29 AM   #22
04RCSTI
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Ferrari sold a TOTALof 6000 cars last year - GM probably sold about 7000 Z06's.

Upping the price will not lead to more sales.

The person putting down $200,000 for a car is not on any kind of budget - many average Joes can finance a Viper of Vette, even at $80,000 to $100,000.

Adding more crap on the interior would only increase weight - the only reason they ar e even offering "upgraded" interiors, is because people complained.. and it was people who didn't even buy the car who complained.

And exotic material interior costs upwards of $30,000 to produce/replace - so what good is a $130,000 ZR1 just to have a heavier "poseurific" interior?

Nothing.
I didnt say upping the price will increase sales and for all I know the numbers you just threw out are bs. Also you're getting a little extreme with the interior prices and comparing it to a Ferrari. Of course Ferrari sell less cars, but that has nothing to do with the interior.

Average joes cant afford a 100k car.

Adding more crap will increase the weight? Perhaps marginally, not enough to affect performance. Look at a GT3 RS, Nice interior, nice materials, weight savings too. Its more than possible to do.

I'm sure the people that complained didnt buy the car. But maybe they wouldve had it had a better interior.

Upwards of 30k? I dont mean an aston martin interior here, I mean something at least as good as a Golf GTI. Because as of right now, its far from it.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:03 AM   #23
nthfinity
Regular User

Adding more crap will increase the weight? Perhaps marginally, not enough to affect performance. Look at a GT3 RS, Nice interior, nice materials, weight savings too. Its more than possible to do.
the GT3 RS benefits from a very high standard in EVERY 911 ... which caters to a luxury sportscar concept from utero

Removing weight was a task of making expensive seats, and misc. delete options... only makes logical sense
Old 03-17-2008, 02:07 AM   #24
RC45
Regular User

I didnt say upping the price will increase sales and for all I know the numbers you just threw out are bs.
Why would I throw out bullshit numbers?

If you doybt my information Google is your friend...

Also you're getting a little extreme with the interior prices and comparing it to a Ferrari. Of course Ferrari sell less cars, but that has nothing to do with the interior.
I am not getting extreme with my interior cost estimates based on exotic materials.

Why do you think Ferraris cost $250,000+? It i snot just because "they can charge that price".

Small volume exotic interiors cost money - a lot of money.

The reason they are small volume is the market is pretty limited at thos eprice ranges.

Average Joe can finance a $80,000 care.. a number of Vipers and C6 Z06's are financed... the rest are cash purchases by average people who have managed their financial lives well and of course a number of independantly wealthy individuals.

There is a reason GM sells about 25,000 Corvettes a year - the average Joe buys them - and they start at $45,000 and range to $70,000 - not even counting the C6 Z's.

The GT3 RS is heavier than the Z06, and a lot more expensive - that fancy interior costs quite a bit.

Migrate to Pagani and Enzo style interiors and the interior appointments alone can account for $50,000 of the cars price.

I'm sure the people that complained didnt buy the car. But maybe they wouldve had it had a better interior.
No they wouldn't have - if people have the extra $10,000 laying around, and the really want a Corvette, and really want an interior made from whining bitching euro goat scrotum, they can have Caravaggio (as an example) install a double stitched leather interior - but even they will tell you that be prepared to accept the extra weight of all that leather cladding on the amazingly light stock interior parts.

I am on the fence about having my interior bits covered in alcantara - its an extra cost, and extra weight for nothing more than "ooohhh - you have an alcantara interior" value

Upwards of 30k? I dont mean an aston martin interior here, I mean something at least as good as a Golf GTI. Because as of right now, its far from it.
You are kidding right?

You must be aware that under all the fake/faux/poseur skin of every one of the "oooh my interior is better than yours" cars is the same light weight plastic paneling right?

Its all the same underneath - some even produced in the same off-site factories as their competitors interiors.

Last edited by RC45; 03-17-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:49 AM   #25
04RCSTI
Regular User

OK, well. Im not kidding.

You can say what you want about the "purpose" of filling an interior with tacky low quality cheap materials. It could be done in a much much more tasteful manner and that is something I should be able to expect when buying a $100,000 car, such as the ZR1.

If it is all the same light weight crap, then how come Chevy cant make it look reasonable? It's all subjective in the end, I think its atrocious what they have done with the interior of that car and many would agree with me.

I just can't see how you can justify the plastic filled, mismatched, pick-up truck like interior. If this was a $20k car or a $200k car that would still be a bad interior.

Also I didnt say hey lets fill everything with alcantara, titanium and carbon. You're blowing what I said way out of proportion. Regardless of what the purpose, the car has a bad interior.

Don't make me sound like a fake/faux/poseur because I think that the car could have a better interior. Having a nice interior doesnt make the car a poser or wanting one doesnt make the driver a poser. Chevy could have done a much better job just by changing the colors a bit. Even keeping the damn price and "super light weight materials" the same, they could have produced a much better product that doesnt smell like super glue.

"Amazingly light stock interior parts" lol...you mean shitty thin plastic covered in equally shitty and tacky paint.

And then if that wasnt enough they had their last meeting on how to make the car even tackier. The results of which are chrome wheels (on the show car) and a see-through hood. Talk about weight savings and all purpose built car. "Hey lets spend money cutting a hole on the hood so these posers can show the world whats under there, this will surely get them mad street cred" I'm confused as to whom they are targeting now.

By the way, nice teal color too looks like they took what was once a nice blue and quickly found a way to ruin it. Nice color combination...with the teal on chrome, definitely supercar status.

Last edited by 04RCSTI; 03-17-2008 at 03:06 AM.
04RCSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:22 AM   #26
79TA
Regular User

I didnt say upping the price will increase sales and for all I know the numbers you just threw out are bs. Also you're getting a little extreme with the interior prices and comparing it to a Ferrari. Of course Ferrari sell less cars, but that has nothing to do with the interior.

It's simple. People who are that concerned about the interior fall into two basic categories:

Group A - those who love Corvettes enough to either live with it or upgrade it themselves

Group B - people who don't really like Corvettes and enjoy ragging on "inferior American products"

The number of people who would ultimately be swayed by fancy sounding selling points like "Alcantara" or "hand (slave? jk) stitched" are few and far between. Besides, new Vettes offer an interior package that uses the same materials found in Maybachs, no? I don't see people making comments about the quality of their materials.

Here's a Motor Trend quote . . .

"Practically every surface you see or touch is swathed in supple leather, handstitched by the nice folks at Draexlmaier-the same ones treating the hides in Maybach, Mercedes, and up-level Cadillac cockpits."

As for "hard plastics" . . . I've yet to be impressed by a "soft plastic" so i really don't care.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #27
philip
Regular User

The interior of the ZR1 in person is what you would expect from an upper end GM car. Nice but not a Lambo.

That said. I wish GM would make a ZR1 with ZO6 option that came with no carpet, fabric seats, nothing behind the seats, fixed rear window, radio delete, no hood window, vinyl badges, and remove anything else that would save weight, simple door sides etc. etc. put in a roll bar, bigger spoiler on the back, a bigger gas tank and delete rather than add an extra 10K to the price.

The f40 interior is pretty spartan and there is no radio.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:04 AM   #28
04RCSTI
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
It's simple. People who are that concerned about the interior fall into two basic categories:

Group A - those who love Corvettes enough to either live with it or upgrade it themselves

Group B - people who don't really like Corvettes and enjoy ragging on "inferior American products"

The number of people who would ultimately be swayed by fancy sounding selling points like "Alcantara" or "hand (slave? jk) stitched" are few and far between. Besides, new Vettes offer an interior package that uses the same materials found in Maybachs, no? I don't see people making comments about the quality of their materials.

Here's a Motor Trend quote . . .

"Practically every surface you see or touch is swathed in supple leather, handstitched by the nice folks at Draexlmaier-the same ones treating the hides in Maybach, Mercedes, and up-level Cadillac cockpits."

As for "hard plastics" . . . I've yet to be impressed by a "soft plastic" so i really don't care.
Who said anything about "inferior american products"? Please keep your anti-american comments to yourself when they have NO bearing on the subject. Its not necessary to put that filth into this forum. Im talking about the vette, not "America" as you like to call the United States. You did it on that other thread when the guy was talking about American vs. European cars. Please don't ruin this thread. If I hated the US I would come right out and say it.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:11 AM   #29
79TA
Regular User

I was generalizing two basic camps of people, not making a statement about you. People either buy it or they don't and the interior is rarely the deciding factor.

The "and" in the group B definition should be an "or."

Last edited by 79TA; 03-18-2008 at 02:19 AM.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:53 AM   #30
RC45
Regular User

Who said anything about "inferior american products"? Please keep your anti-american comments to yourself when they have NO bearing on the subject. Its not necessary to put that filth into this forum. Im talking about the vette, not "America" as you like to call the United States. You did it on that other thread when the guy was talking about American vs. European cars. Please don't ruin this thread. If I hated the US I would come right out and say it.
I am guessing you meant to say anti-anti-american comments...

And just to eleviate any confusion here, GM sells every Corvette they produce, when the price remains reasonable (which means no need to chase the price up with an unneeded interior) - and even if all the people who don't like the interior don't buy it, they would still and in fact still do sell every Vette they produce

So - again, what's the big deal?

Last edited by RC45; 03-18-2008 at 02:59 AM.