Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-08-2004, 03:31 AM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default give retail workers a break this shopping season

i hate retail, i hate working retail... but really its the only thing thats still propelling me to getting my finances back in order to get back to school. i dont know why i would have agreed to taking on more responsibility at my job... less time for the things i love, and want to do... damn delayed gratification :roll:

i recomend it to nobody, yet think everybody ought to do it just to realize how terrible it is. i suppose i myself am 'doing' alright with it, but its impossible for me to get any more $$ per hour

these last few weeks (since US thanksgiving week) have been extremely tiring, and not in the least rewarding... although ive taken home some of my largest checks consecutively.

i guess im really just kinda venting... but say thanks, and dont be an ass if there is a pricing problem of some sort ( 95% of the time consumer error, 4% staff placing error, less than 1% computer entered error (human again) )
Old 12-08-2004, 04:43 AM   #2
heath
Regular User

here here dude, I know exactly how you feel...take care out there in retail land ppl and like the guy says, be nice to the dude behind the counter....

Ronin005 wrote:
.....like in any other car community there is Stock, Modified and, HOLLY BATMAN. this falls under HOLLY BATMAN!!
heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
TransAm
Regular User

I'd ditto that - it costs nothing to be polite!

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:27 AM   #4
saadie
Regular User

it helps alot to be nice to the guys behind the counter .... got lotsa experience ...
oh and nthfinity yer a big dude ... just pass a nice big smile ... :fadein:
Old 12-08-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
Anonymous

Exactly I worked in a shop for 2 years, no respect from half the people who come in...... the ones who were polite i was much more inclined to help and even bend the rules for just to help them out. I have to admit to venting though a few times myself but usually at people who don't have a clue and i mean brainless.... such as a member of halfords staff who seemed not to understand that my car was not a new mini!! nope 1989...... as i must have told here about 50 times before storming out saying i was going somewhere who knew what they were talking about LOL ..... about an hour away from were i was at the time
Old 12-08-2004, 12:22 PM   #6
mindgam3
Regular User

lol, indeed, no offence to any of you who work in retail, but the majority of shop assistants are complete numskulls n don't have a clue about what or why they're selling....

I've worked part time in retail and as a waiter so i know most people just treat you like shit but to be honest, i dont blame them half the time. Then again there are the snobs that just think they're way above you no matter what n order you about like you're their own personal slave - they just piss me off.

AL123 - people who work in Halfords are a prime example of numskulls working in retail, i dont think ive ever been into halfords and met someone who looks vaguely competant
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:21 PM   #7
Vansquish
Regular User

I agree...my dad tends to make a big scene if things don't go his way, and he's always quoting those consumer rules:

1. The customer is always right.
2. If the customer is wrong, see #1

I don't have a problem with making sure I'm getting what I want, but there's no reason that one should be less than cordial about it.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:40 PM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

you know, the most ignoramous thing people do on a daily basis is attempt to quote the michigan scanning law, and demand anywhere from 10x the difference, to 5 dollars cash. id say only about 3% of the people actually know what it is/means.

yesterday, a lawyer i took pictures of his car earlier this year for him was even quoting the scanning law incorrectly... making himself look like an idiot.

i will agree that employees dont often know much about the goods that thier store sells, but at the chain i work at, its mostly due to short staffing... 1 person covering everything in 5 or more departments, its no wonder.

also, a lot of idiots do work in retail... but so do a lot of intellegent persons who dont belong there
Old 12-08-2004, 05:00 PM   #9
TransAm
Regular User

WTF is the 'scanning law' please nth?

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:44 AM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by TransAm2001
WTF is the 'scanning law' please nth?
http://www.michiganlegislature.org/p...76&version=txt

a part of it is basically this;
if an item is marked on the product itself one price, and rings up a different price, then the consumer can get 5x the difference upto $5.00, and is no less then $1.00... on top of the diference in price.

when it comes to numbers, consumers cant keep track of them... 5x really means 10x... for example, a few weeks ago, a guy bought a helmut that was mismarked by $9.99... and he expected $99.99 cash... and ended up thowing a fit, leaving and kicking out a glass pane in the entrance.

often, we find that people try and scrape a price tag from one item to another to get the reward from the scanning law, and later try to return the item... easy to catch... but there are so many retail scams out there, id go bonkers typing them all.