Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 10-21-2003, 03:59 AM   #1
gat
Regular User

Default Problem with my PC...

Could anyone help with this problem...

Every time i start my computer, if i do not wait for all the process's to kick in, the mouse will freez and i will have to reset.

When the pc first loads up, it seems settled....i check task manager and all it settled, then about a minute later a load more process's kick in

If i do anything between these 2nd set of things kicking in, my pc will always crash.

If i leave it till everything is done, im ok....the pc will be fine all night.

Bus basicaly if i turn on the machine and try to do stuff straight away (simple stuff too) it will freeze and nothing will work...

Please give me any ideas to try, to fix it????
many thanks
gat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 04:41 AM   #2
WilliamsF1
Regular User

Hey, Gat

hmmm, have you tried doing a selective startup through "msconfig"? try disabling the bulk of the startup options, then re-enable them one (or a few, if there are many) at a time. that may help narrow the problem. once you find it, just simply go into registry editor to delete the key which corresponds to the startup item.

Sometimes I have issues with the computer locking up when I've reached the chipset's absolute limits. Is your system currently overclocked?

Hope this helps!
WilliamsF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:09 AM   #3
gat
Regular User

No its not over clocked or anything, I noticed that MYSQL and Apache were one of the things that were comming in late, so i have stopped them....

But i will try using msconfig, as you said and go from there...

Thanks for the idea.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:10 AM   #4
WilliamsF1
Regular User

not a problem. I also have several other "theories" that you might be able to try if that doesn't work.

I hope you have good luck with it though.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:13 AM   #5
gat
Regular User

Also, just an idea......

ever since i got infected with a few of the worms that were floating arround a month back, my pc has been doing strange things (you know how it is).

If i partition the drive now, whilst the pc is still working and put all my documents on one side and programms on the other.....should this make future OS installs easier??

So i would not loose any of my music/video etc when or if i ever had to re-install (which im trying to avoid)

If any one could go through some brief, rough steps to partitioning and formatting that would be great.

If you cant be bothered to type it all, dont worry.....Ill work it out
Cheers
Old 10-21-2003, 05:24 AM   #6
WilliamsF1
Regular User

yeah, definately... I pity those people who make worms/spyware/adware for a living. Can you even imagine how they look at themselves in the morning?

Anyways, its quite easy to partition a drive, actually. you just need something like PartitionMagic (made by powerquest, if I remember correctly), and you can partition the drive without reformatting, etc. I have kinda the same setup going on, except its with 2 hard drives (1 for OS/Programs, the other for misc. files). It definately helps when your OS suddenly decides to fail on you, then at least you'll still have most of your documents and/or important files.

I can assist you with PartitionMagic if you need assistance on it, but during the few times that I had to use it, it was really straight forward, so I am confident that you would be able to figure it out with no troubles.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-21-2003, 05:33 AM   #7
gat
Regular User

Nice one Williams, ill have a little look for partition progs, including partition magic...

Damn i need broadband, 10 more days to wait...
What do you do, out of interest....?

(www.uk-graffiti.co.uk - My Website)
Old 10-21-2003, 05:42 AM   #8
gat
Regular User

Oh yeh, also out of interest....what are your other theories on my start up problems,

I will attempt to give you a better description:

I turn my pc on
Every thing loads in the task bar and computer appears settled
I oper task manager, i have about 12/15 process's running.

Now this is the time it is likely to crash

Im still looking at task manager, still has 12/15 things running, i wait about a 1 minute, then about 8 more tasks kick in,

The desktop refreshes, and then everything is ok.

----------------------------
But when it crashes, the screen will just freez, no warning. So i have to reset, then sometimes it will not even load up again on the reset, then ill switch off power supply and reboot and it could not load up again.

Something is going wrong here and its a nightmare when you had to turn your pc of an on 4 or 5 times till it settles..
Old 10-21-2003, 05:51 AM   #9
WilliamsF1
Regular User

hehe, I've put aside my interests for a few months, actually. I was working a summer job, and my boss almost worked me to death this summer, Usually 6 days a week, and 9+ hours a day (used overclocking as a form of escape though... hehehe). so, right now, I'm trying to re-discover my interests... hehe

Hmmm, that's kinda weird, actually. How you said it won't start up again after it hangs. I am starting to lean towards maybe a bad stick of RAM, since the system requires a full power down before it will act normally again.

There is one that might still work though, you might wanna take a peek into event viewer and see if anything is amiss, look for any sort of application hangs and/or errors just prior to the system hang.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-21-2003, 05:58 AM   #10
gat
Regular User

Well, now youve mentioned it.......
Ive recently installed Norton Systemworks....!!!

And now i think, ever since i installed that in order to try and sort my problem, i have had these startup crashes.

Damn, so it could even be norton sw?

How did you sort the problem?
Old 10-21-2003, 06:03 AM   #11
WilliamsF1
Regular User

though, I do have to admit, Windows is a pandora's box all in itself.

A few months ago, I had a system that decided to hang whenever I use anything that is related to P2P transfers (even browsing forums made my system hang). I tried everything from driver updating, to starting/stopping Windows Services manually, none of it helped. Eventually, a re-format solved the problem...

So, I'd also like to ask. Would you happen to have a HD which you can install a fresh copy of Windows onto and test independently? that would instantly rule out any hardware problems, for sure. Well, unless you know that the hardware is fine... hehe
Old 10-21-2003, 06:09 AM   #12
WilliamsF1
Regular User

Oh, the problem with Norton Systemworks? I don't think I ever did... at first, I just thought that some program was being a resource hog, so I tried countering the problem with more speed. clocking from 2.4 to 3.9 doesn't help any though. I'm starting to believe that for some reason, it just...... likes to take a long time to load. heh

hmmm, now that I think about it for a bit, I'm starting to see some sort of a weird connection. So, it could very well be that Norton is causing your system to hang (or some program in conjunction with norton), after the reset button is hit, sometimes, the hard drive may still be stuck (BIOS does see the hard drive at all - had experience with this a few times), and the only way to remedy the problem was to power the system down entirely, and power the system back up after the hard drive loses power.

I THINK that might be what's happening. is there anything in event viewer that would lead you to believe this or otherwise?
Old 10-21-2003, 06:18 AM   #13
gmd97
Regular User

what OS are u using? not windows ME by any chance? that thing was the biggest load of crap ever. i ended up going back to 98 before xp was released.
gmd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:54 AM   #14
KaBlookie
Regular User

Location: born near Toronto, Canada, living near Philly, PA, USA

Originally Posted by gmd97
what OS are u using? not windows ME by any chance? that thing was the biggest load of crap ever. i ended up going back to 98 before xp was released.
also, how much ram do you have?

yea, unfortunately, it SOMETIMES takes a format and reinstall to completely fix everything, even if things are just running a bit slowly. If you can, it would be a good idea to somehow back up everything that isn't replaceable (burn to CDs, or maybe lap-link it to another comp...lol yea it's old and slow..but it works), and simply format and reinstall windows. Unless there's a hardware problem, reinstalling virtually always works.

as for system works, i've never used it, but my bro has and he says that even though most of its functions are useful, it's not worth having. I would suggest just getting notron antivirus, which is, in my mind, THE best antivirus software out there. If you want it, contact me via AIM (if you hae it) and i'll see about getting it to ya.

hope this is all makin sense to ya 8)

Peace
Brian

96 Acura Integra SE sedan with some goodies
KaBlookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:35 PM   #15
WilliamsF1
Regular User

Heh, I think we all agree that if you are running Windows ME, then it wouldn't matter how much RAM you actually have. I remember when I had that OS on my computer at one point; it actually took a record-breaking 2 minutes to use up all my memory (512MBs). Then all the various error dialog boxes popped up in French.

Almost made me throw my computer out the window