Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 10-15-2003, 10:44 AM   #16
SFDMALEX

Originally Posted by espen
The reason Tiff got sacked form Top Gear is that Clarcson was a proper employee of the BBC while Tiff was hired in for the job. The instant Tiff appeared, ol' sheephead got demoted to the decidedly last place in the popularity stakes. Big shock: Clarkson wasnt happy... and Tiff got canned.
This seems to explain the bad feelings Tiff has. Is this true cuz Jabba says otherwise. Also "deth" posted another quote by tiff in which he insults the "big belly" lol. there has to more info on these two and the split up.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:47 AM   #17
Jabba
Regular User

I think you will find its all "tongue in cheek" humour between them
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:49 AM   #18
alondahan
Regular User

Originally Posted by Kangaroo Boy
Did Tiff Drive a touring car(s) back in the early 90s or was it Clarkson?If so,what series was it?
Tiff drove many things, including touring cars.

but Clarkson driving touring cars?? lol . I don't think he could have completed one lap without spinninig 4 times.
alondahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:58 AM   #19
SFDMALEX

Originally Posted by Jabba
I think you will find its all "tongue in cheek" humour between them
really?! i guess i saw it differently but with tongue in cheek like that i'd like to see what tiff would say if he really was pissed at clarkson. "must get that wrong too" and "big belly" dont seem to me like tongue in cheek but i wish i could ask them in an email to really settle this.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:03 AM   #20
espen
Regular User

Ok jabba, if you know this then I am mistaken. I read in a carmag that Tiff was being forced out by Clarkson and BBC and was anything but pleased. The mag also stated that Tiff has raced GT-cars and some open-wheel class but never got into a position to be able to do it in a top team.

I'm happy that Tiff hosts on fifth gear, but we dont get that over here of course :roll: when oh when will Tiff make a "Greatest slides" DVD?
espen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 11:30 AM   #21
Imre

Tiff is a ex f1 driver.Back in 80 he drove with sierra cosworth and won a round in british touring car c.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:57 AM   #22
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by espen
when oh when will Tiff make a "Greatest slides" DVD?
He has...its called "burning rubber"
Old 10-15-2003, 12:02 PM   #23
espen
Regular User

Wow, I didnt know :shock: I'll have to start looking for it - is it new? Anyone seen it?
espen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 12:07 PM   #24
Jabba
Regular User

[quote="justin syder"]
"must get that wrong too" and "big belly" dont seem to me like tongue in cheek but i wish i could ask them in an email to really settle this.
Yes thats very common british humor....in fact its quite light really....I will often say something like this to someone "stop eating that pizza you fat bastard" said in a friendly way of course...its just an innocent comment
Old 10-15-2003, 02:35 PM   #25
SFDMALEX

[quote="Jabba"]
Originally Posted by justin syder
"must get that wrong too" and "big belly" dont seem to me like tongue in cheek but i wish i could ask them in an email to really settle this.
Yes thats very common british humor....in fact its quite light really....I will often say something like this to someone "stop eating that pizza you fat bastard" said in a friendly way of course...its just an innocent comment
i guess i just wanted gossip and bloodshed . i misinterpreted but I thought that it was possible these 2 didnt like each other because tiff probably left the show for a reason like egos clashing or bad blood.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:31 AM   #26
1zippo1
Regular User

Tiff is the better driver of the two but Clarksons humour is much better....its just that not everyone understands it...
My thoughts exactly!! Just read the Top Gear - Porsche CGT article. I often had to laugh and I don't know any other car reviewer that can do that!!
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:38 AM   #27
stradale
Regular User

I don't think there's anything wrong between JC and Tiff. As Jabba said it's all tongue in cheek. That's what makes it such fun. Not only for us to watch, but I think they have a good time too.

The part where Tiff says you can't trust JC on anything surely was meant in relation to verdicts on cars.

I found this as well on five.tv:
Willz - Hi Tiff, i can't decide what to do! i'm 15 years old and am at a grammar school hoping to take engineering of some sort, but i love cars and i can't help but dreaming of being a car journalist. what do you recommend and how should i go about persuing my ultimate passion for cars?
Tiff - Journalism is a good path to follow, and in any case, if cars are your thing, then that's one way to get to drive them. That's how my mate Jezza got started anyway, except her did get expelled from school, but I wouldn't recommend that.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:13 AM   #28
mendocino
Regular User

me neither stradale...
they're just rivals now and so humour peaks are always welcome. As I said before, Tiff is a driver, and really I don't care about driver's opinions... I like tiff's review because there'r great to look at : good slides, burning rubber, impressive driving. for sure. But if I didn't say a word on his reviews, I wouldn't care!!
I like clarkson's ones because of his humour AND I just agree 95% of the time with him! for me he's the best reviewer of all. Sure he's not the best driver, but he has got the stig to do that!, if you think about it, I'm sure a other good driver than tiff maybe will have other opinion than his on any cars, everything is a matter of taste while talking about look and feeling.
I don't like tiff's rigidity. when he don't like a car, he just talks for himself. clarkson tries to be more balanced and when he's not, the other presentators of top gear make some balance for him! that"s an important think for me.

I'll try to explain once again : quick clear example imo: when I watch a 5th gear review by tiff, I just watch it and enventually enjoy it, period, whilst after a top gear review (witch imo are one level up in visual quality), I wish I could be on that stage argueing and talking with him about the car, what he felt ect. I would'nt really like to talk to tiff to know how it was to drive, how he slided it ect... but that's my opinion, I'm sure lots of people prefer tiff for his driving skils.. but I'm with JC all the way!

ps hooww yes and I just can stand than tiff prefer the 360 to the 355 and older ferrari... that's so.... limited
Old 10-16-2003, 10:37 AM   #29
AlienDB7
Regular User

I agree with you mondeo, Jeremy is a much more interesting reviewer. Yes, I do agree with him most of the time, except for his taste for the renault styling. I respect Tiff for his driving skills and his ability to give a proper review while driving. However, he's a race car driver and his driving skill is beyond what most of us here would reach.

Jeremy, on the other hand, is closer to what we are. Someone who likes car and perhaps can afford one or two. I can't now.. but sometime in the future I should be able to afford a decent one (I hope). As for driving skill, he's still a good driver compared to 99% of the drivers out there. If you give me a 500hp car, I don't think I'll be able to powerslide without spinning out. JC is just a bit more down to earth for me and I like him for that. On top of that, his taste of styling is very close to mine (I have a thing for the british sports car too!)
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:11 PM   #30
blah
Regular User

damn british humor.