Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #166
loliea
Regular User

620HP? Disappointing. They should have given the engine to be mod by Lotus like the previous ZR1.
loliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #167
Svensson
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
It doesn't look so bad in darker colors and non-chrome rims. Dare I say it looks good like this?
The ZR1 does look great in dark grey, but I was hoping for a bit more C6RS looks:

Old 12-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #168
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by loliea View Post
620HP? Disappointing. They should have given the engine to be mod by Lotus like the previous ZR1.
No no no. If you were going to give Lotus anything to work on, it'd be the chassis.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #169
RC45
Regular User

Actually, the 620 super charged HP is on a par with every other european supercharged engine - Lotus would have had ZERO to add to any modern engine development

And the 620bhp from one of the lightest least mechanically sophisticated smallest footprint engines around is a pretty good result.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #170
graywolf624
Regular User

They should have given the engine to be mod by Lotus like the previous ZR1.
GM no longer owns lotus so I doubt youll see that collaboration again.. least till they buy them again.

That being said.. a 620 bhp engine.. it probably weighs less then a standard v6 out of a bmw 3 series.. So I wouldnt be knocking it too much.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:08 PM   #171
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Actually, the 620 super charged HP is on a par with every other european supercharged engine - Lotus would have had ZERO to add to any modern engine development

And the 620bhp from one of the lightest least mechanically sophisticated smallest footprint engines around is a pretty good result.
You have love to push rod engines sometimes.
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #172
loliea
Regular User

Yeah, I guess you're right. Lotus doesn't do engine as they use to 15 years ago. The engine evolution I was thinking about was aluminum DOHC V8 "a la" ZR1 of 91, but that's way more expensive then plugging a supercharger.
With so many tuner already selling supercharger kits for the z06 I don't see the need of make this ZR1 (beside the badge maybe and the look).
loliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #173
RC45
Regular User

Yeah, I guess you're right. Lotus doesn't do engine as they use to 15 years ago. The engine evolution I was thinking about was aluminum DOHC V8 "a la" ZR1 of 91, but that's way more expensive then plugging a supercharger.
With so many tuner already selling supercharger kits for the z06 I don't see the need of make this ZR1 (beside the badge maybe and the look).
Well a big advantage of this GM setup, is its emmisions legal, has a warranty and is a complete turnkey package.

Some people like that - others like to tinker till its right.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:16 AM   #174
pagani
Regular User

That swap some interior parts like the seat for lighter bucket seats maby carbon fibre and a roll cage than a would be more of a road legal track car
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #175
SnakeBitten
Regular User

In black or dark colors I think it looks pretty good..Simply because it kinda hides those nasty side vents ....I do really hate the chrome wheels, hideous front side vents[WTF] and the peekaboo hood[actually its growing on me now]....I concur on the 620hp not being enough especially with regular Vipers dynoing 545rwhp[around 620 crank]...Worried about heat soak on the track....Gotta give the edge to the NA Viper on that note....And the biggest letdown is its now less than 100lbs lighter than the regular Viper and only about 10-20lbs lighter than the ACR....Unless that 620 is RWHP a la GTR 480hp rating, then Im disappointed....
Old 12-24-2007, 01:51 AM   #176
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten View Post
In black or dark colors I think it looks pretty good..Simply because it kinda hides those nasty side vents ....I do really hate the chrome wheels, hideous front side vents[WTF] and the peekaboo hood[actually its growing on me now]....I concur on the 620hp not being enough especially with regular Vipers dynoing 545rwhp[around 620 crank]...Worried about heat soak on the track....Gotta give the edge to the NA Viper on that note....And the biggest letdown is its now less than 100lbs lighter than the regular Viper and only about 10-20lbs lighter than the ACR....Unless that 620 is RWHP a la GTR 480hp rating, then Im disappointed....
You are sorely mistaken if you think ANY stock Viper will stand a chance at all of rolling with the new ZR1.

The HUGE torque curve absolutely CRUSHES even the new 8.4l Viper from 1600rpm all the way past its redline.

To put it into perspective I have been visiting with the folks who built my car (they have a new 8.4l 600bhp Viper as a shop 'test and tune' car at the moment) and they concur, the new ZR1 will crush my car (660bhp) from a roll and totally obliterate the new Viper...

How badly? The new ZR1 has pretty much the same power delivery as every supercharged stroker LS2/LS6 that has ever been produced by a tuner.

My car may stand a chance in the very upper reachs og my rev range, but would probably need to run to 200mph to mak eup the 5 or 6 cars it would pull on me from a 60mph roll.

To even think the 8.4l will stand a chance in a street encounter is insane.

The only way a Viper will stand a chance against the LS9 is if it is blown itself.

Period.

End of story.

No contest.

On a road course in the heat of summer, it might very well be another story - at least, this is what we all suspect - but what of the LS9 has little to no heat soak?

I can tell you if this new supercharger is able to keep heat soak at bay, then my LS7 might just go from 660bhp. to 660rwhp and still be a usable track day car

In case you missed it, eher is a dynochart that has been floating around - read em and weep: (my cars curves shadow the 8.4l Viper, peak about 20ftlb higher and 40bhp higher and makes power all the way to 7100rpm)

Old 12-24-2007, 08:50 PM   #177
SnakeBitten
Regular User

You are sorely mistaken if you think ANY stock Viper will stand a chance at all of rolling with the new ZR1.

The HUGE torque curve absolutely CRUSHES even the new 8.4l Viper from 1600rpm all the way past its redline.

To put it into perspective I have been visiting with the folks who built my car (they have a new 8.4l 600bhp Viper as a shop 'test and tune' car at the moment) and they concur, the new ZR1 will crush my car (660bhp) from a roll and totally obliterate the new Viper...

How badly? The new ZR1 has pretty much the same power delivery as every supercharged stroker LS2/LS6 that has ever been produced by a tuner.

My car may stand a chance in the very upper reachs og my rev range, but would probably need to run to 200mph to mak eup the 5 or 6 cars it would pull on me from a 60mph roll.

To even think the 8.4l will stand a chance in a street encounter is insane.

The only way a Viper will stand a chance against the LS9 is if it is blown itself.

Period.

End of story.

No contest.

On a road course in the heat of summer, it might very well be another story - at least, this is what we all suspect - but what of the LS9 has little to no heat soak?

I can tell you if this new supercharger is able to keep heat soak at bay, then my LS7 might just go from 660bhp. to 660rwhp and still be a usable track day car

In case you missed it, eher is a dynochart that has been floating around - read em and weep: (my cars curves shadow the 8.4l Viper, peak about 20ftlb higher and 40bhp higher and makes power all the way to 7100rpm)

Good ole RC The edge I give the Viper is heat soak factor....It plagues most every other SC car so unless GM has a magic SC I dont see it being any different on a typical summer track day ...I agree that the ZR1 should beat the Viper acceleration wise Everyone pretty much thinks it will be faster up top but on a roadcourse vs the ACR??That will be the match Im eagerly awaiting....Dont care which one wins as Im a fan of both...
Old 12-24-2007, 10:25 PM   #178
RC45
Regular User

Good ole RC The edge I give the Viper is heat soak factor....It plagues most every other SC car so unless GM has a magic SC I dont see it being any different on a typical summer track day ...I agree that the ZR1 should beat the Viper acceleration wise Everyone pretty much thinks it will be faster up top but on a roadcourse vs the ACR??That will be the match Im eagerly awaiting....Dont care which one wins as Im a fan of both...
Comparing the ACR to the ZR1 is just absurd.

One was built as "the ultimate track racer" the other as a PURE street car.

And remember, I dont particularly like the ZR1, I just appreciate it will crush my car in a straight line - and pretty much force me to drive 9/10's in the twisty bits just to keep up.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #179
SnakeBitten
Regular User

Comparing the ACR to the ZR1 is just absurd.

One was built as "the ultimate track racer" the other as a PURE street car.

And remember, I dont particularly like the ZR1, I just appreciate it will crush my car in a straight line - and pretty much force me to drive 9/10's in the twisty bits just to keep up.

lol...Why is it absurd???Both are streetlegal in the fullest sense with no roll cage or parachute....Both have leather seats and "CAN" come with AC/Radio etc.......BTW the ZR1 is still lighter and most likely more powerful so why shouldnt they be compared???Dodge made the ACR to target the ZR1 period

BTW tha dyno chart is weird so Ill wait till and official dyno......Ill give you this...The ACR will definately be MUCH slower than teh ZR1 in the straights due to 1000lbs of downforce aero mods....Its top speed is even 12mph slower than the Regular Viper....I fully believe the ZR1 will top out more than 210mph so it will be the top speed/highway champ hands down......

On a circuit track though, I think the ACR will lay wood to it.....No shame in that....I cant wait for a head to head between the ACR/ZR1/Gt2/Scuderia/Superleggera etc........It will be epic....
Old 12-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #180
RC45
Regular User

lol...Why is it absurd???
Anyone with an IQ above room temperature can see that it is absurd.
Both are streetlegal in the fullest sense with no roll cage or parachute....Both have leather seats and "CAN" come with AC/Radio etc.......BTW the ZR1 is still lighter and most likely more powerful so why shouldnt they be compared???Dodge made the ACR to target the ZR1 period
Typical Viper fanboye response.

If Dodge built the ACR to take ont he ZR1 then are stupid idiots with no brains - they had no need to "take on the ZR1" it is a streetcar the American Club Racer, is a racecar - just like the previous ACR.

BTW tha dyno chart is weird so Ill wait till and official dyno......
How is the dyno chart weird? Because your precious Viper is not "on top"?

The dynochart for your precious Viper looks weird? You know it has a variable timing cam right ? Think of it as a Viper with VTEC

Does the ZR1 dyno look weird?

That is what roots type blower torque curves look like. I am guessing you haven't seen many.

Ill give you this...The ACR will definately be MUCH slower than teh ZR1 in the straights due to 1000lbs of downforce aero mods....
It is a race car

Its top speed is even 12mph slower than the Regular Viper....
It is a race car

I fully believe the ZR1 will top out more than 210mph so it will be the top speed/highway champ hands down......
It is not a race car - never was claimed to be one...

On a circuit track though, I think the ACR will lay wood to it.....
It is a race car...

No shame in that....I cant wait for a head to head between the ACR/ZR1/Gt2/Scuderia/Superleggera etc........It will be epic....
No one ever said there was shame in it - however, look how one sided that comparison is... the Corvette is a in-the-traffic-with-creature-comforts-no-compromise-to-comfort car while the ACR, Scuderia, Superleggy and GT2 Clubsport are all race car versions of the cars - lets see the street car versions of those come out and play.

Whats up with that?

You want to compare cars, do so within the same category at least.

The ZR1 is the King of the Hill - once again..

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Last edited by RC45; 12-25-2007 at 02:38 PM.