Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-01-2007, 06:24 AM   #46
ya55erm
Regular User

I love the look of the R8, theres only two problems- firstly i'll always feel like ive bought a cheap version of the Gallardo and secondly its going to be very common
ya55erm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #47
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by ya55erm
I love the look of the R8, theres only two problems- firstly i'll always feel like ive bought a cheap version of the Gallardo and secondly its going to be very common
The thing is people like you won't buy R8s, especially if you're a well off yuppie, so it'd be much rarer and it is indeed a cheaper (a lot!) version of the Gallardo, although it is pretty much the same car, if not better. And it looks so much better. Although diesel supercar sounds awful, the fact that Audi's R10 are doing so well in racing makes this whole project so promising.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #48
silentm
Regular User

it lookds great, well only thing that isn't so nice are the side mirrors, they should make them more sleek.

i like the fact that they kept the 2-tone paint scheme
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:15 AM   #49
Schwalbe

Audi R8 To Get New Twin-Turbo V10 in 2008

Date posted: 09-06-2007

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — The new twin-turbocharged V10 engine debuting in the Audi RS6 at Frankfurt will also serve duty in an upgraded version of the R8 sports car next year.

Rumors of a V10-powered R8 have been circulating ever since modified prototypes were spotted testing at the Nürburgring. With the recent debut of the RS6's twin-turbo V10, word is the same 5.2-liter power plant will find its way into the R8 late next year. With 530 horsepower, the V10 would represent a 110-hp boost over the current 4.2-liter V8. Expect further upgrades in the form of larger wheels and tires, bigger brakes, a stiffer suspension and a few minor styling tweaks to set it apart from the standard model.

What this means to you: If you thought the current R8 was hard to get your hands on, the V10-powered version is guaranteed to be one of the most sought-after supercars of 2008.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=122513

---------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is true. Because an Audi R8 V10 biturbo similar to the Audi LeMans concept is like a dream come true.
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:29 AM   #50
Thomthom
Regular User

At some point Audi will put a diesel engine in it to promote their technology. WE can just hope that if that happened it'd be the V12 TDI.
Thomthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #51
acknot
Regular User

Audi insiders hint at 550hp NA V10 version. But what I really want to see is a quattro gmbh RS/version 8)
acknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:18 PM   #52
blue8
Regular User

New spyshots!

Six months after an R8 V10 prototype caught fire and was completely destroyed, it appears as though Audi is working through the problem and has begun testing a new V10-powered prototype. But, still reminded of the car that burnt to the ground in April, Audi has equipped this tester with an electronically operated fire-extinguishing system — the E-Sticker and the 2 red buttons of the system can clearly be seen near the driver's side mirror.

Apart from its color and lack of badging, the R8 prototype isn't hidden by any camouflaged, giving a good indication of what the final car will look like.

More air will be fed to the ten-cylinder through larger side scoops, which jut out sharply from the body-side, adding a more aggressive stance to go with its increased power. The lower side sill also gets an extra flare which runs along the wheelbase, adding further visual cues that this is the true uber-Audi. The changes are subtle enough to be obvious only to those in-the-know, thus keeping the R8's clean lines as uncluttered as possible.

Naming mystery

Some reports speculate that the new engine could also bring about a
name adjustment — upgrading the R8 moniker to R10 — but nothing has been announced officially.

There has also been speculation about Audi using the "RS8" badge, but this seems highly unlikely due to the confusion it would create with respect to the A8 and S8 lines. What's more, calling the vehicle RS8 would prevent Audi from creating a more powerful version of the S8 at some point in time.

The most likely names, therefore, are R10 and or R8 S — similar to TT S.

V10 details unclear

The R8 V10 should hit dealer showrooms sometime next year with output in the 500 horsepower range. Audi has yet to confirm if the R8 will use the same twin-turbo V10 used in the RS6 — which is rated at 580 horsepower — or a naturally aspirated setup similar to that found in the Lamborghini Gallardo.

The most likely scenario is the R8 V10 will come in right around 500 horsepower, and the Gallardo will be bumped to 550 hp or more.

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #53
chest3r
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Rather than a V10 R8... I'd like to see a ClubSport version of the current R8, stripped down and more track focussed
And keeping the 4WD system, just like the Gallardo ??

I hope the V10 will be a nice NA, instead of a twin turbo 8)
Old 10-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #54
gobs3z
Regular User

^^^ I assume the RS5 will break that trend, and they'll never make an RS A8 model so why not throw that name on it. But R10 seems more logical or R8-S

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:57 AM   #55
unwilling
Regular User

They do sell the R8 in monochrome as an option.
unwilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:45 PM   #56
Skaala
Regular User

After the unfortunate incident of the Audi R8 V10 catching on fire last April, a new anti-reflective matte black prototype has returned to “the Ring” to complete its testing. With the prototype cost estimated at half million Euros, Audi's sport division, quattro GmbH, has now installed an electronic fire suppressant system as indicated by the white “E” (foam based extinguisher) sticker and two red buttons seen next to the driver's side rear view mirror. In case of a fire, the first reaction is for the driver to get out of the vehicle and if risk is minimal, the fire suppressant system can be activated from the outside of the vehicle by pressing the two red buttons.

The super high performance R8, which is rumored to be called R10, R8 S or RS8, will use the same V10 engine from the Lamborghini Gallardo but slightly detuned to produce 490 – 500hp. As seen in this prototype completely devoid of camouflage, the R8 V10 gets larger air intake tunnels just behind the front doors, revised rocker panel skirts and larger brakes.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #57
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Heh... nice work around to prevent losing another expensive prototype. Looks great in matte black.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:13 PM   #58
Skaala
Regular User