Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 06-07-2005, 11:52 PM   #16
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
I'm scanning the article right now, and I'll upload them in a minute... you guys decide.

I've said this before in another thread: 4 door saloon matching/beating a supercar? Now THAT is progress for you.
it is progress - but because a 4-door saloon now has similar performance to a supercar, not beating!
As my numbers posted above show the M5 is more than 2sec slower to 130mph - so it still has some work to do
I look forward to the article though - I wanna see these figures they come up with.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:06 AM   #17
Sir_GT
Regular User

Here it is:

Done.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:11 AM   #18
Sir_GT
Regular User

I actually don't give a toss about the Ferrari comparison. A Ferrari will always be a Ferrari, no matter what. What I find most interesting is how close the M5 is to supercar performance... and how far up the ladder it has come.

AMG? Bah. Bespoke? New suspension? Supercharger? Please.

West Coast Customs can do what they do.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:16 AM   #19
styla21
Regular User

Damn i was beaten to it, just about to post the scan. In the intro, the reviewer mentions the fact this is an odd comparison, but explains why it exists.
Also highlights the difference between Ferrari's first "test" cars and their performance figures, compared to the ones coming out now.. The rumour regarding their cars being 'tuned' a little more to increase it's appeal still plays on my mind. Sure, it's hard to fathom a 4 door saloon spanking a Ferrari twice the price, however i think the article sums this sentiment up quite nicely.
I'll wait for the Ferrari assault boys to lay into me..
Old 06-08-2005, 12:18 AM   #20
BADMIHAI
Regular User

AMG is much more than just slapping on a supercharger and suspension. They actually make reliable "tuned" cars, not ones that blow up after 10 000 km.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:22 AM   #21
RC45
Regular User

Well - just read the article and what a load of utter inacurate tripe.

All that happened is what is replayed EVERYDAYin the real world, the giy in the M5 got on the gas a little earlier than the guy in the similar powered F430 and was able keep his .5 sec lead over the ground which is NOTHING special.

How the hell do you think I in a 385hp Z06 can ay Hey I just pulled away from a Viper!!" - because I get on the gas first and only run to 150ish mph... so that by the time the Viper regains it's composure from my "jumping the start" the "race" is over.

And the other scenario where "I could't lose the bloke in the M5" is the same as what I and countless others experience in the woods on B roads with less than ideal psing opportunities.

I have had an M3 chase me and "stick to me arse" until the road opens up then it is bye-bye M3... or I stick to tail of one of my 550hp 427ci Z06 driving buddies through the twisties... but the moment the raod opnes a bit they off like a scalded cat.

That article was nothing more than a colourful anectodote aimed at selling themagazine - period.

Nothing to see here - please move along... heheh
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:25 AM   #22
yg60m
Regular User

Thanks for the scans mate. This is a weird comparaison for sure but Autocar is used too And to be honest, they sometimes have odd results but I think the new M5 is a real storm and it can maybe compete with the F430 ...
Old 06-08-2005, 12:28 AM   #23
Sir_GT
Regular User

I can see the flame guns coming out of their holsters...

Also, anybody notice how RC45 mentioned "tripe" twice in the same thread?

Looks like somebody's learned a new word.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:32 AM   #24
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
AMG is much more than just slapping on a supercharger and suspension. They actually make reliable "tuned" cars, not ones that blow up after 10 000 km.
You mean like a turbocharged Volvo? That's not exactly a great comparison point.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:32 AM   #25
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
I can see the flame guns coming out of their holsters...

Also, anybody notice how RC45 mentioned "tripe" twice in the same thread?

Looks like somebody's learned a new word.
Well - it is tripe..

A lot better to say "tripe" than "bucnh of fucking hogswallop bullshit" like I was going to originally post...
Old 06-08-2005, 12:35 AM   #26
Sir_GT
Regular User

Lol. Well, I'll wait until everybody gets to read this (i.e. The "tripe" has hit the fan)

Right now, it's off to work.

Cheers everyone.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:38 AM   #27
styla21
Regular User

It's funny, because both of these cars share spots 1 and 2 on my wish list atm (check sig/avatar ), however i must admit that on paper there is actually not much in it.
RC, what areas do you think the BMW has it over the Ferrari? From 100 and beyond? Just performance wise, if you had to justify this article what would you say.
I realise the M5 is carrying more weight, but it is deceptively light (we had the E39 if that's anything to go by), and seems able to fling itself in places most cars don't consider.
This comparo really begs to see what the M6 vs F430 would be like :fadein:
Old 06-08-2005, 12:42 AM   #28
RC45
Regular User

I don't think the M5 has anything on the F-Car - unless the M5 gets on the gas earlier.

Which is really a "jump start" situation.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:44 AM   #29
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Well - just read the article and what a load of utter inacurate tripe.

All that happened is what is replayed EVERYDAYin the real world, the giy in the M5 got on the gas a little earlier than the guy in the similar powered F430 and was able keep his .5 sec lead over the ground which is NOTHING special.

How the hell do you think I in a 385hp Z06 can ay Hey I just pulled away from a Viper!!" - because I get on the gas first and only run to 150ish mph... so that by the time the Viper regains it's composure from my "jumping the start" the "race" is over.

And the other scenario where "I could't lose the bloke in the M5" is the same as what I and countless others experience in the woods on B roads with less than ideal psing opportunities.

I have had an M3 chase me and "stick to me arse" until the road opens up then it is bye-bye M3... or I stick to tail of one of my 550hp 427ci Z06 driving buddies through the twisties... but the moment the raod opnes a bit they off like a scalded cat.

That article was nothing more than a colourful anectodote aimed at selling themagazine - period.

Nothing to see here - please move along... heheh
For once I agree 100% with what RC has to say on a topic!

I find their test numbers a bit strange - according to them there is only a 0.5sec gap in the 0-150mph sprint. According to other mags it is more like 2 seconds....

Anyway I also really like both cars - but just think they serve a different purpose in life.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:46 AM   #30
styla21
Regular User

Dingo you totally right, they serve completely different purposes.. Page 1 covers why this became an interesting comparison though.
I'm also suggesting that this F car has inconsistent performance figures, and trying to figure out why.
As best i see it, the only consistent one is that the F430 would marginally beat the M5 at a traffic light drag race to 60. Beyond that, it's splitting hairs.