Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-15-2006, 05:11 PM   #46
coombsie66
Regular User

Carbon fibre bonnets are flammable and delaminate with significant heat input. Metal ones arnt.
If you had a fire in the engine bay with a carbon bonnet you can kiss goodbye to the car, if you got a steel bonnet you might just save the bulkhead back.

They do look good though i have to admit! 8)
Old 08-15-2006, 05:28 PM   #47
inso
Regular User

a friend of mine has carbon fibre vents in his M6 hood, looks really nice.

http://www.vorsteiner.com/vrs-hood-m6.html
should have been like that from the factory
inso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:43 PM   #48
sameerrao
Regular User

Dingo, How long do you plan to keep the Rexx? You seem to be going at a good clip on the mods front. Typically there would be a 50% loss of value to the modded part when it comes time to sell the car.

My opinion (and its only an opinion) is that if you plan to sell the car in the next 3 years or earlier then it makes sense not to add more to this car and save up for a the future car. On the other hand, you want to keep the car for several years then modifications start to make more sense.

Take my case. I have had my Audi for the last 5 years (its birthday was 2 days back). So far the car has been bulletproof (touch wood). I haven't modified it as 90% of the S4 owners do.

Initially it was because I wanted to keep the car stock within the warranty period. Once the warranty expired about a year back, I actually liked the car as-is and didnt feel that it was worthwhile to do more to it. Its my all-round car and therefore needs to be reliable, relaxing as well as fun which it is in stock form.

Instead of pouring more money into the S4, I want to save up over the next 2-3 years to add a Ferrari 348 to the stable to get a proper fun car to back up the S4.

Just food for thought....

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #49
SilviaEvo
Regular User

it looks fine with that CF Hood. i like CF hoods. and it matches the wheels
Old 08-15-2006, 08:51 PM   #50
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo
Originally Posted by MartijnGizmo
Advantages
- The TMIC may be placed close to the turbocharger and/or supercharger compressor and to the engine's intake. As a result, the intake tubing can be kept short. The longer the path from the intercooler to the engine, the more air must be pressurised within the hoses when a change in pressure is demanded - and the greater the lag imposed. When used in combination with quick-spooling turbochargers, such as ball bearing turbochargers, the result is a more responsive engine.
exactly, the turbo in the WRX is mounted at the back (on the left, drivers side) hence the placement of the intercooler.
same idea with the RDX having the Turbo mounted behind the engine right off the manifold (large bastard too) then the pipe from the Turbo to the TMIC is about 4 inches and 2.5 in diameter then out the other side is connected right to the throttle body. the entire front grill is a ram air duct that is sealed to the intercooler when the hood is closed. great design to accompany the variable flow turbo making 13.5 psi at only 3500rpm I really think that it wouldn't benefit from a FMIC on a stock turbo justlike the WRX I just think the big intercooler behind the grill is menacing especially on the SRT-4.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:24 AM   #51
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Dingo, How long do you plan to keep the Rexx? You seem to be going at a good clip on the mods front. Typically there would be a 50% loss of value to the modded part when it comes time to sell the car.

My opinion (and its only an opinion) is that if you plan to sell the car in the next 3 years or earlier then it makes sense not to add more to this car and save up for a the future car. On the other hand, you want to keep the car for several years then modifications start to make more sense.
Its an addiction really, there is always something I can see that I should improve on the car.

However I only really use my "leftover" cash to pay for the mods, not digging into my savings/investments so I still believe the Ferrari is on the cards (at 30yo would be nice).

I'm over the CF bonnet now, need bigger brakes first.