Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Bike Chat

Old 06-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
TNT
Regular User

Default lightest 600

just as the title says. i am still planing on getting a bike when i grad. in like a year or so. but i am concerned about a bikes weight. so what new bikes out there that are light weight but not a motar or dual purpose? i am good on jetskis and what not but i know that isn't really comparible to a motorcycle.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:05 AM   #2
corpse_grinder0
Regular User

the lightest 600 I believe is the r6 ( I may be wrong )... lightest SPORTBIKE, is a ninja 250. I say get the two fiddy.
corpse_grinder0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
bultaco_metralla
Regular User

The Yamaha YZFR6 weighs 163 kg

I would buy the Suzuki GSX R600
Weigh: 161 kg.

All info here:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...6/Default.aspx

I love this bike!!!
IMAGE: http://www.sportmotor.hu/foto/suzuki...GSX-R600-1.jpg
bultaco_metralla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
dannyroz
Regular User

I wouldnt worry bout lightweight bikes at the moment, more of just getting your skills down. But its your money...the GSXR is sexy as hell and I know people who swear by it but my bro's SV650 is def. a good learning bike and turns into a sweet ass racer.

To answer your Q: R6
Old 06-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
TNT
Regular User

well i am saying so i have less to "fight" with when starting to ride. and i can focus on the other stuff rather then what am i going to do with all this weight. thanks for the input. is there a general rule about the drivibility of the brands of motorcycles? like yamaha more road worthy, suzuki is more racing, honda is a mix, etc.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SWT
well i am saying so i have less to "fight" with when starting to ride. and i can focus on the other stuff rather then what am i going to do with all this weight. thanks for the input. is there a general rule about the drivibility of the brands of motorcycles? like yamaha more road worthy, suzuki is more racing, honda is a mix, etc.
The weight is not all that you have to worry about when learning - a light weigt LOW power bike will be condusive to learning - not a lightweight super-powered bike.

For this reason a 125cc 2-stroke RZ125 or Suzuki RG125 Gamma or a Kawasaki KR125 or Honda MB125 or NS125 etc are ideal - sadly the idea of tiered licensing to allow for superior skill development are not widely supported or encouraged.

[RANT ON]
You do not learn advance cycle control or other nuances while you are holding on for dear life - you master those skills when you are in control and able to absorb the stimuli around you and process all the input.

There is front braking, rear braking, gear selection, clutch action, throttle masterery, counter steering, body weight shifting, tucking sitting, leaning etc etc etc -- when mastered this makesd a great rider.

Being able to smoothly pull off and drive through 5 cones in the traffic departments parking lot and then make 3 left turns in front of a license inspector does not equate to "rider skillzzz"

This is a huge sore point with me - I hate how many motorcyle riders die and or are splattered on the freeways - needlesly.

If people learned to ride properly and with supurb skill before they jumper up the horsepower ladder there would be lees accidents and deaths.

[RANT OFF]

Buy what ever bike you want - my advice (and its free so you get what you pay for) is to start with little Kwakker 250 on the low end and a Suzuki SV650 on the high end.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
TNT
Regular User

well this is what the testing i have to do to get my lic.

http://www.marylandmva.com/MVAProg/moto/classM.htm

Licensing

An individual who satisfactorily completes the Basic Rider Course (BRC) or the Alternate Basic Rider Course (BRC II) will receive a Motorcycle Safety Program Completion Certificate. This certificate can be presented at any MVA full-service office for a Class "M" license. Unless the individual has a valid learner's permit the appropriate fee must be paid.

Individuals with an out-of-state license will not be issued a completion certificate. Out-of-state participants should check with the department of motor vehicles in their home state to find out if they will issue a motorcycle license for a course completed in Maryland.

http://www.marylandmva.com/MVAProg/moto/basicrider.htm

but I was thinking that i get a bike that is kind of a middle ground, good for beginners yet once i get some more skill i wont have to get another bike. since i would be getting this for "free". though it would have to be able to keep up with highway traffic and still be easy around town and handle for some mild twisties.

edit: i was reading in the new sport rider about these comparo

Honda 599 vs. Kawasaki Ninja 650R vs. Suzuki SV650 vs. Yamaha FZ6
i think i will be picking for a cast like that.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SWT
Why not buy a $500 beater bike for the first couple months - that way when you crash it, you wont be heart broken... get the skills down and then step up to a nice bike.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #9
corpse_grinder0
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by SWT
Why not buy a $500 beater bike for the first couple months - that way when you crash it, you wont be heart broken... get the skills down and then step up to a nice bike.
thats what I did... before I rebuilt it , fixed it up, crashed it, and sold it for 1500.
corpse_grinder0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #10
TNT
Regular User

^^ but with buying a 500 dollar bike wouldn't really be worth it would it? i want something that is street legal and can do atleast 70-80mph without killing it.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:24 PM   #11
corpse_grinder0
Regular User

the bike I had was a 1988 Honda CBR 600 F1 Hurricane. It was very street legal, and didnt about 145.

not bad for 600 bucks, ehh? -->
Old 06-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #12
TNT
Regular User

well i guess i will have to do some research what should i look for in a used bike? i would more then likely get one off e-bay
Old 08-27-2006, 11:17 PM   #13
MHaynes772
Regular User

What about the Daytona 675?
MHaynes772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:48 PM   #14
5vz-fe
Regular User

How about 2 months TNT?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:54 PM   #15
TNT
Regular User