Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars > American Cars Pictures and Videos

Old 06-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #16
graywolf624
Regular User

The track is the one near the corvette factory in bowling green I do believe.

Oh and the new Ford GT only uses a 351ci block
I sure hope your not comparing the chevy 427 to the new ford gt engine. The chevy engine weighs a good 200-300 lbs less. The ford gt engine is probably one of the worst engines from a design standpoint out there. ITs a truck engine. It just keeps down the cost. If you want to site ford engine development ID hope youd site the new cammer engine, cause otherwise fords engine development shat on itself about 2 decades ago.

Oh and that orange car.. the zl1 with the 427.. Ive ridden in that car.. Watched the gmmg guys deliver it to the owner. (See pictures in the pic vault from me last year.) Its a great car but 90k...
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:04 PM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by gogglibear
Originally Posted by GT-R_R34
nice vid. but isn't the new z06 is going to come in with a 427???
yes but as everyone knows the Chevy 427 is nowhere near the power of the Ford 427 so don't think that its using an engine like a GT-40 or a Shelby Cobra. Isn't it a 7litre?
First off, 427ci is 7 litres.. always has been and always will be - that's the beauty of math - it has rules.

Second, exactly what are you basing all this negativity about these engines one?

I wonder if you realize just how many C5R 427ci blocked Corvettes are running around - I would bet that there are probably now more C5R block cars than resleeved LS1/LS6's out there.

What this means is that there are MANY 570hp+ street Corvettes runnign around with 427ci engines that a modern Ford can only dream about.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #18
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
The track is the one near the corvette factory in bowling green I do believe.

Oh and the new Ford GT only uses a 351ci block
I sure hope your not comparing the chevy 427 to the new ford gt engine. The chevy engine weighs a good 200-300 lbs less. The ford gt engine is probably one of the worst engines from a design standpoint out there. ITs a truck engine. It just keeps down the cost. If you want to site ford engine development ID hope youd site the new cammer engine, cause otherwise fords engine development shat on itself about 2 decades ago.

Oh and that orange car.. the zl1 with the 427.. Ive ridden in that car.. Watched the gmmg guys deliver it to the owner. (See pictures in the pic vault from me last year.) Its a great car but 90k...
I wasn't comparing it at all to the new 427 from Chevy but just pointing out that it no longer uses a 427. yes I know the engine is derived from a Pickup but atleast it's an Aluminum block versus the Cast Iron used in the trucks and new Shelby. and I love the sound of a good Supercharger.
Yes the Cammer is a great engine and the new 3 valve 4.6 doesn't completely suck either...

Are you sure that's the same ZL1? there were a few of them there from Berger and GMMG granted that was the only Orange one then a couple red , one black and one white. I didn't get pictures of them all though since I went through all the memory I had with me and the batteries were crapping out aswell so I had to select what to picture.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:17 PM   #19
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by GT-R_R34
nice vid. but isn't the new z06 is going to come in with a 427???
yes but as everyone knows the Chevy 427 is nowhere near the power of the Ford 427 so don't think that its using an engine like a GT-40 or a Shelby Cobra. Isn't it a 7litre?
First off, 427ci is 7 litres.. always has been and always will be - that's the beauty of math - it has rules.

Second, exactly what are you basing all this negativity about these engines one?

I wonder if you realize just how many C5R 427ci blocked Corvettes are running around - I would bet that there are probably now more C5R block cars than resleeved LS1/LS6's out there.

What this means is that there are MANY 570hp+ street Corvettes runnign around with 427ci engines that a modern Ford can only dream about.
Yeah we just save a nice amount of cash and go the Forced induction route... You have to admit that those C5R blocks are a bit pricey.
Oh and don't forget there are alot of Camaro's with the big ol LS6's aswell as I mentioned above. but I guess nothing beats the big 500+ cubic inch blocks from both Ford and GM like the 514 from Ford and 502 and 572's from GM and the 572 comes as either an Aluminum or Cast Iron block with either 620 or 720 hp I'm not postive but I think I recall the Ford at 600+hp.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:26 PM   #20
graywolf624
Regular User

Are you sure that's the same ZL1? there were a few of them there from Berger and GMMG granted that was the only Orange one then a couple red , one black and one white. I didn't get pictures of them all though since I went through all the memory I had with me and the batteries were crapping out aswell so I had to select what to picture.
90 percent sure considering if I remember right there is only one or 2 total hugger orange gmmgs, your in the right area of the country.

If it had orange houndstooth leather then its the same one(only car with that combo).. owned by matt berger, owner of the big chevy dealer in michigan and big contract holder at gmmg where IVe met him a few times.

Hell there are only like 69 gmmgs total zl1s.

So likelyhood is really high.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #21
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
Yeah we just save a nice amount of cash and go the Forced induction route... You have to admit that those C5R blocks are a bit pricey.
C5R block is under $6,000.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=12480030

Well close enough $6,200

Oh and don't forget there are alot of Camaro's with the big ol LS6's aswell as I mentioned above.
For sure there a shitload of F-bodies with big LSx based engines.

but I guess nothing beats the big 500+ cubic inch blocks from both Ford and GM like the 514 from Ford and 502 and 572's from GM and the 572 comes as either an Aluminum or Cast Iron block with either 620 or 720 hp I'm not postive but I think I recall the Ford at 600+hp.
The engines you have listed all cost far more money than an LSx based motor.

Besides, as witnessed by Big Red, these monster motors only come into their own outside of drag racecars if you bury significant money and time in te entire pacakge to exploit their power.

For road course work an LSx based solution is far more suitable.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:38 PM   #22
T-Bird
Regular User

yep it has orange interior...

Oh can't forget the Mopar Hemi 426:

RC45: that's just a short block correct? The 572 is what $13,000 for the 720hp version turn key.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:30 PM   #23
gogglibear

RC45 if the Fords had the legendary Ford SOHC 427ci Cammer made 660+ w/ dual carbreuters.

http://www.me.mtu.edu/~prater/cammer.html

Cammer is the name pinned to the little known, amazing engine produced by Ford starting in 1964. The 427 cammer was amazingly powerful. The secret behind Chalmers factory rated 616 horsepower (@7500 RPM) with a single carburetor or 658 horsepower (@7500) with two carburetors, lies under the abnormally large valve covers, namely, a single overhead camshaft. There's two camshafts in the 427-cammer (the reason this big V-8 can get to 7500 RPM).

By now you may have guessed that the cammer is based on the multi- application 427 block. One of its various forms. I wish I could remember them all. Side-oilers, top-oilers, high-risers, medium-risers, and low-risers, among others. These mills came in various vehicles, including Galaxies, Fairlanes, Mustangs, Cougars, Mercury Marauders, Mercury Comets, AC Cobras, GT-40's, etc (Mike Greene). Regardless, the cammer itself was intended for racing only, but there are a few which have made it into the "street", making life a nightmare for, in many cases younger, but less vital, hemi's, LS6 454s, and even the boss 429.
gogglibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:41 PM   #24
graywolf624
Regular User

Even ignoring the fact that its a race only engine rather then a legal street engine, one thing I do have to ask, is that hp how they measure it now, or how they measured it in the 60s.

My guess, this rating was a gross rating. Meaning output is in reality much less then 600hp, albeit still respectable for its time period.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:58 PM   #25
RC45
Regular User

RC45 if the Fords had the legendary Ford SOHC 427ci Cammer made 660+ w/ dual carbreuters.
And you rpoint? Do you honestly think that I do not know about these engines and the history of and stories behind the legends of Ford, Chevy, Potic, Plymouth, Dodge and Chrysler?

FFSM - I may drive a 2001 Z06 but I love and know about all things hot-rod - please don't presume my interest or knowledge is limited to what the latest google search brought up

Exactly WTF does this 40 year old race motor have to do with a warranteed modern car that is easily purchased, insured, serviced, driven and owned ?

While we like to think "they don't make em like they used to"... it is a good thing - because until you have either ridden shotgun in or tried to follow a C5R, open exhaust equipped 660 crank HP (yes I said 660 - they pull 540+ rwhp) C5 Z06 you ain't seen nothing

Remember, you are talking about a chassis that with 385 to 400 hp pulls 0-60 in 4s, 12s 1/4 175mph top end and pulls 1G+ and 60-0 in 105ft.

Take the same car, give it 660hp and you have an infuckingsane street demon - like the jump from 360CS to Enzo... you can hardly compare the 2.

So again why is a pushrod powered car bad?