Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion

Old 01-07-2006, 12:21 AM   #16
vexor
Regular User

Maybe one of us should send an e-mail to the producer of the show and ask them how they do it??

You never know, they might tell us...

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:29 AM   #17
Fleischmann
Regular User

We.., it's abvious that the TG crew doesn't set up 500 cameras on a 1000km stretch of road. maybe they do all the filming inside the car during the actual trip and then on the way back take shots of the car from the outside. That's my guess, it would be nice to know if it was true.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:58 AM   #18
yg60m
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Im sure they set up cameras ahead of time, its done in other things aswel...

Although I am sure a lot of it is highly edited and such I dont believe its competly bullshit.

Plus dont forget clarkuson did lose that mountain climbers vs. Audi race
Yes, but it wasn't against James and Richards For the rest I am sure that it results from TV Magics as Toronto said And sometimes failures add to the fun of the show Anyway they are good actors
Old 01-07-2006, 05:19 AM   #19
jakaracman
Regular User

Although I am sure a lot of it is highly edited and such I dont believe its competly bullshit.

I think it's all bullshit. Veyron almost loosing? No way, it was staged. If driven properly, JC would be in london hours ahead od hamster&co.
Audi fesature? He was driving soooooo aloooooow ... He had a 60 kph or so average, if I remeber correctly. With an RS ... Slooooooooooow or deliberate ...
Doesnt matter that it's 100% staged, though. It's still fun to watc!
jakaracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:20 AM   #20
blinkmeat
Regular User

Default Re: Are Clarkson's Challenges really that challenging?

Originally Posted by coloradosilver
Someone please help me with this....

In the past, we've seen some great challenges with Clarkson vs May and Hammond such as the DB9 vs Train, Ferrari 612 vs Plane, SlR vs Boat, and most recently the Bugatti vs the private Plane.

Here's my problem.....In every one of these races, there is a camera van that follows Clarkson in whatever car he's driving and gets outside shots, vids of Clarkson...whatever. In each of the races, that same van makes it to the destination with Clarkson filming the whole thing. Does this mean that it really doesn't matter what Clarson is driving because even the camera van would have beaten James and Richard? Or is there some other method of filming at work here?
:shock:

There's a Santa Claus though right?
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #21
yg60m
Regular User

Originally Posted by jakaracman

I think it's all bullshit. Veyron almost loosing? No way, it was staged. If driven properly, JC would be in london hours ahead od hamster&co.
Audi fesature? He was driving soooooo aloooooow ... He had a 60 kph or so average, if I remeber correctly. With an RS ... Slooooooooooow or deliberate ...
Mate, the Veyron certainly had to stop for fuel every 200 miles if pushed a little He would be in London very fast if it had a 1000 gallons tank

Then for the RS4 feature, if you already went in the Verdon's roads, you know that even 60 kph is fast there
Old 01-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #22
antonioledesma
Regular User

JC records his trip inside the car, has a camera crew in strategic points to stop and record some jokes. I would think that 2 or 3 crews go with JC and go ahead when one crew is chatting with JC at a gas station.
Besides I don't believe that the BBC could not have an Audi avant to carry almost all equipment

the race is over and they film the return with more time
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #23
jakaracman
Regular User

Originally Posted by yg60m

Mate, the Veyron certainly had to stop for fuel every 200 miles if pushed a little He would be in London very fast if it had a 1000 gallons tank

Then for the RS4 feature, if you already went in the Verdon's roads, you know that even 60 kph is fast there
Fuel sto takes what, 5 minutes? Still waaaay faster than plane. And so what if they are driving on public roads. With a little care you can go quite fast without being biothered by police. When I go to paris by car (2-3 times a year) or when I'm somewhere ečlse in france with a car I usually drive about 160 kph on motorways without problems ...
As for RS feature: I havent driven there, but it cant be much diffrennt than lets say roads around Gap (where rally monte carlo goes) - an I've had average speeds around 90 there when driving around for fun with a 911 ... No prublem. 8)
Old 01-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #24
SFDMALEX
Regular User

/\/\/\

If they planned well they could take a direct route to england on the plane.

They could also have paid someone to do the check up before taking off.

ANNOUNCMENT!

Where from did Hammond and May take off? And where did they fly to?

Just for arguments sake I will simulate this flight and see how long it takes.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:13 AM   #25
jakaracman
Regular User

Viamichelin says it's 1270 km on the road, if the average is 120 kph (which is easy with a car like veyaron) it's good 10 hours (wih fuel stops), if you count train and stuff let's say 11 hours.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:35 AM   #26
RC45
Regular User

It's all bloody fake and staged... like any reality TV - it's not...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #27
stmoritzer
Regular User

Originally Posted by Toronto
yes we all know the races are 90% TV magic. but lets keep the dream going
I second that! nothing more to say 8)

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #28
jakaracman
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Viamichelin says it's 1270 km on the road, if the average is 120 kph (which is easy with a car like veyaron) it's good 10 hours (wih fuel stops), if you count train and stuff let's say 11 hours.
Don't believe in ViaMichelin - they said it was 6 hours to go to Montecarlo from Barcelona, and they were actually 6 hours, yes - but after driving over 180kmh all the time
I did not write the time from viamichelin (it said almost 13 hours). As for Monco-Barcelona, 6,5 hours for 650 kilometres is not too short. On motorways I usually average around 120, and it's motorway all the way ...
When I go to Frankfurt it's 800 kkm and I do it in 7 or 7,5 hours (did it in 6,5 but quite a long ago at night) ...
Ljubljana Geneva is 880 km and good 8 hours but over St. Bernard pass.
If there are no queues, you can count on 100 kph average for such trips on motorways.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #29
stmoritzer
Regular User

^100km/h is a good number IMO

8)

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #30
jakaracman
Regular User

Especially in Switzerland
A few months ago I did (just for a quick test) about 190 kph on local road near St. Moritz. If swiss cops cought me doing that they would probably use panzerfaust instead of laser or radar