Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 10-18-2005, 08:26 AM   #1
Anonymous

Default USB Wireless network card for mac???

I'm gonna be setting up a network for some friends who want to share their broadband. Only problem is one of them uses a mac laptop, anyone know a cheapish wireless adaptor that is compatable with mac??
Old 10-20-2005, 02:16 AM   #2
ae86_16v
Regular User

Why not just use Apple's Airport card?
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:56 AM   #3
Anonymous

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
Why not just use Apple's Airport card?
£££ bout double the price as far as i can see

Originally Posted by thamar
Try Belkin, they mostly offer good support & are cheap...
Cheers i've sent a few emails off, but not checked them yet
Old 10-20-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
ae86_16v
Regular User

^ OH okay. Yeah, all of the Mac laptops I bought had it pre-installed. But it is pretty easy to set up a network with a Mac. If you are going to use a different network card, you might have to install 3rd party software.

Is it a PowerBook or a iBook? Because if it is a PowerBook you could get a PCMCIA card.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:54 AM   #5
Anonymous

^ OH okay. Yeah, all of the Mac laptops I bought had it pre-installed. But it is pretty easy to set up a network with a Mac. If you are going to use a different network card, you might have to install 3rd party software.

Is it a PowerBook or a iBook? Because if it is a PowerBook you could get a PCMCIA card.
i'll have to check that out, pretty sure its an ibook, bout 2yrs old, with around a 12inch screen. and yeh i was lead to believe some manufacturers provided unsupported drivers for mac, but i can't find any knowing next to nothing about macs/ sources of information for them is making the searching alot harder
Old 10-20-2005, 09:38 PM   #6
ae86_16v
Regular User

How do you tell? Is it white or silver? If it is white, it's an iBook, if it is silver than it is a PowerBook. I don't know if you want to waste one of the USB ports for a wireless card.

The Airport cards aren't too bad. Just get the regular one, not the Extreme. Try ebay. . Sorry I can't help more.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:57 PM   #7
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Tell them to get a PC, and then buy a nic card.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:41 AM   #8
Anonymous

How do you tell? Is it white or silver? If it is white, it's an iBook, if it is silver than it is a PowerBook. I don't know if you want to waste one of the USB ports for a wireless card.

The Airport cards aren't too bad. Just get the regular one, not the Extreme. Try ebay. . Sorry I can't help more.
well its white, so thanks for helping, haven't remembered to ask him yet!! And well he can just plug it in when he wants to go online, belkin is looking hopeful if i can find one of the old wireless b cards, TBH haven't had time to look!

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Tell them to get a PC, and then buy a nic card.
I was waiting for that he's an illustator and is absolutely in love with macs, have to admit for what he uses it for it is perfect, so quiet and easy to use, only problem is software :bah: for me it would be absolutely no use!