Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 08-19-2005, 06:31 AM   #1
st-anger
Regular User

Default [HELP] notebook as a present....

...a good friend of mine is starting university in october and as a present on that occasion i´d like to buy him a nice laptop - well as u guys know i´m an absolute computer dork so i asked around a bit myself and i came up with this one here:

Acer Aspire 1694WLMi

Pentium-M 760 2.00GHZ • 1024MB (2x 512MB) • 100GB • DVD+/-RW DL • ATI mobility Radeon X700 256MB • USB 2.0/FireWire/Modem/gB LAN/WLAN 802.11bg/Bluetooth • 4in1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS Pro) • 15.4" WXGA TFT (1280x800) • Windows XP Home • Li-Ionen-Akku • 2.95kg

is this a good solution....???... he needs a kinda powerful thing as he´ll need ot for their 3D programs like "Catia" and stuff but i also know he´s into gaming a bit and is visiting LAN things every now and then...

any input is much appreciated , what do u think of this^^^ one, are there any better things on the market right now, sould be in that price range as it´s a present...
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
sheruken
Regular User

I use Dell Myself, and it hasnt given me many problems as yet. It was like a decently powerful machine back when I'd bought in early 2003..
P4 2.8Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, 30GB HDD (prefer less as i have two 200GB in my desktop), DVD and CD -/+ RW, GeForce4 MX 4200Go etc etc.. And it was pretty decent back then.. But then recently I saw an AlienWare and I was just stunned by it...

You can goto Alienware.com and check it out urself.. it looks awesome and has almost everything that a desktop can have... well almost!
They're pretty expensive but as a gift its like just nothing to beat.. Also that Savrow or something, I'd seen here .. was pretty good.. But after seeing an AlienWare live, Its like a dream to own it once now!!

EDIT! - BTW, thats a CGT on the Ring right? St-Anger? What video is it, like a complete Lap video? Can I get it off the net?
Old 08-19-2005, 05:48 PM   #3
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by sheruken
I use Dell Myself, and it hasnt given me many problems as yet. It was like a decently powerful machine back when I'd bought in early 2003..
P4 2.8Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, 30GB HDD (prefer less as i have two 200GB in my desktop), DVD and CD -/+ RW, GeForce4 MX 4200Go etc etc.. And it was pretty decent back then.. But then recently I saw an AlienWare and I was just stunned by it...

You can goto Alienware.com and check it out urself.. it looks awesome and has almost everything that a desktop can have... well almost!
They're pretty expensive but as a gift its like just nothing to beat.. Also that Savrow or something, I'd seen here .. was pretty good.. But after seeing an AlienWare live, Its like a dream to own it once now!!

EDIT! - BTW, thats a CGT on the Ring right? St-Anger? What video is it, like a complete Lap video? Can I get it off the net?

...keep an eye open for a AMS TV spot " CGT vs Enzo vs Gallardo" - i don´t have it right now but i´m sure it´s somewhere on JW...
Porsche 911
Old 08-19-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
It's a good laptop, we sell Acer a lot in the shop and nearly no complaints...
$$$ ... ???
Porsche 911
Old 08-20-2005, 03:26 AM   #5
sheruken
Regular User

^^^ That is a good Config!!
But mind you, I wouldnt recommend Centrino for High End 3D Graphics Work..
My brother uses an HP 2 something series and His is a 1.7 Centrino, with 1Gig Upgraded RAM.. But that is extra slow. Everything you do, even opening My Computers on desktop takes a fraction of a second to open up, so using a 3D program will run like everything is in Bullet-Time! Although thats just my opinion. I havent really tried a 3D Program, but I've tried playing GTR on it and I had to play it at the lowest resolution and that too with no other Cars on the Track! Otherwise Every OverTake is a Bullet Time ...
Old 08-20-2005, 06:53 AM   #6
st-anger
Regular User

thx thamar and sheruken for the infos, i think i´ll take the 1694WLMi then when there´s no better alternative and many of my buddies also told me that this one is definitely a very good one for that price...

man, the stuff up there is quite expensive thamar and i thought germany is already worse here...
Porsche 911
Old 08-20-2005, 12:55 PM   #7
st-anger
Regular User

...really...???...maybe i should ask our friendly admin from switzerland

naaaa, of course i have a buddy in Zürich maybe i can sort something out...THX for the tipp

Originally Posted by thamar
Germany is cheap man

But hell, if i'm going to buy a laptop, i'll import it in switserland and pay 14% less Maybe you can do something like that also with some swiss buddy's, just let them put the papers in their name, go to them with the box and everything. Let them take it to customs and you get a nice discount :p
Porsche 911
Old 08-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #8
st-anger
Regular User

....lol, naaaaa - i was only joking thamar - i think i can afford the 1 or 200€ difference

another question as i think u´re my man to ask on computer stuff - what´s better Centrino or AMD´s stuff - performance wise....???

X700 or GeForce Go....???

any info is much appreciated...

btw, can u name downsides for the acer i have in mind...???

THX :good:
Porsche 911
Old 08-22-2005, 02:18 PM   #9
st-anger
Regular User

mhm, i see, THX for the infos....

well i have an Acer myself too for over a year now with ZERO problems, that´s why i thought he might enjoy an A as well as i also had the impression that it´s really reliable and i use it A LOT...

to the MSI one, i heared that the new Turion isn´t that good in comparison to centrino, besides, 1.6ghz and 512ram is too less imo, it should have at least a 2ghz centrino and 1024ram and a top graphic-card as he´s into gaming as well...

well, we´ll see...
Porsche 911
Old 08-22-2005, 07:34 PM   #10
Anonymous

Originally Posted by st-anger
mhm, i see, THX for the infos....

well i have an Acer myself too for over a year now with ZERO problems, that´s why i thought he might enjoy an A as well as i also had the impression that it´s really reliable and i use it A LOT...

to the MSI one, i heared that the new Turion isn´t that good in comparison to centrino, besides, 1.6ghz and 512ram is too less imo, it should have at least a 2ghz centrino and 1024ram and a top graphic-card as he´s into gaming as well...

well, we´ll see...
Definately 512mb is pushing it for anything 3d when stuff gets complex. I have a amd64 3700+ but i can't find one with this processer that has a gfx card like that acer one. Looks pretty good to me and if he needs to he could expand the ram to 2gb in the future. Myself i find 1gb can run out, but its easier and cheaper to close an application only really happens when i have multiple programs open to do renderings of my final designs.Not enough of a pita for me to spend nearly £200 on it.