Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-17-2004, 05:14 AM   #1
veilsidebr

Default The Secrets of a Good performance - Part 2

Yeah, here i am again talking a litle about what influences on a car performance.

Now i´ll talk about suspension.

Suspension, mainly at the Formula 1, is one of the parts of the car that deserves more attention. At the Formula 1, there´s many tracks with different grounds, corners and straights extensions. It´s very hard for the mechanics and engineers to set the best configuration that allows best lap times and higher top speeds at the straights.

They have to analize the tyres compound, tyres pressure, engine revs, gear ratio sets, diferential set, aerodynamics set like rear and front wings, adjusting downforce and lift forces, and, also the suspensions, like many other things. Shocks and springs might be the right, they must last a lot, put up with ground swells, apex swells, and many other things.

To have good traction, if the car is a Rear wheel drive car, the suspensions at the rear must be harder, with more pressure, because with more pressure the tyres tend to "grip" on the ground, and let you have more handling. The front suspension must be hard too, but not so like the rear, because the front always will "fly". The front will up because when accelerating a car, the inertia pushes the weight of the car to the rear, so, if u have a hard suspension on the rear with more pressure, it´ll stabilize the rear of the car and gives you more traction and grip.

Both rear and front suspensions must be hard, depending of the track and depending of what you want to do, drifting or fast driving. If you want oversteer, slide the rear on the corners, leave the rear light(less pressure) and the front hard(more pressure).
If you take the front suspension light, with low pressure on the shocks, and the rear suspension with a lot pressure on the shocks(harder), the car will have a very strong tendency to understeer, the front will slide down through the corners.

I´m not a mechanic or engineer, but i think it´s better you ajust your suspension set according through what you want to do. Seting too much pressure on both front and rear suspensions will make the car more stabile, because he´ll lean less on the corners when you make them at high speed, or accelerating.

Camber is also very important to ajust the car´s handling. Seting too camber will improve the car handling through the corners, but it´ll be more hard to brake, because the touch area to the ground will be shorter.

If you like to drift, yes i love too, just set the camber very low, in the wheels of traction of course. Or just put some flat tires on your car and stay on full gas and turning the car, you will drift yeah

Well this is all...i just talk a litle about suspension, if you want more information about it you can find in specialized websites. Thanks again and untill the next...bye!!

veilsidebr is offline   Reply With Quote