Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 09-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
Sir_GT
Regular User

Default XDA Exec -slash- MDA IV -slash- HTC Universal -slash- OMFG!

If any of you are familiar with the XDA/MDA/Imate pocket pc/smartphone series, then this is the daddy...

XDA Exec

More detailed pics here

O2 Readies XDA Exec 3G/WI-FI Windows Mobile device

Mike Slocombe

O2 is set to introduce the new Windows Xda Exec, touted as the most feature-packed smartphone ever released.

The pocket-bulging device offers a feast of connectivity options, with support for tri-band GSM/GPRS, 3G, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 1.2, all running on Microsoft's spanking new Windows Mobile 5.0 mobile operating system.

The Sidekick-inspired smartphone comes in a bloke-satisfying matt black finish dominated by a large 640 x 480 pixel 3.6inch touchscreen.

What really catches the eye however is the nifty 180 degree swivelling design that lets user flip up the screen to reveal a 62-key QWERTY thumb keyboard underneath.

The clever-clogs hinge design also allows the screen to be twisted around on itself and folded down to face the keyboard for protection.

Manufactured by the Taiwan based HTC, the XDA Exec regales under more names than a devious triple-agent, being known elsewhere as the HTC Universal, T-Mobile MDA IV, Vodafone VPA IV, Orange SPV M5000 and Q-Tek 4040.

Powering the smartphone is an Intel PXA270 520MHz processor supported by 128MB ROM and 64MB RAM onboard, with expansion taken care of via a MMC/SD Card slot (supporting SDIO).

Video calling is made possible thanks to the two built in cameras, with a teensy-weensy VGA lens on the front of the device and a 1.3 megapixel camera (with flash) on the back of the phone.

With Windows Media Player 10 installed, users can take advantage of multimedia downloading, streaming and digital audio playback, with high-speed access to the internet available through the trusty Internet Explorer software.

Other bundled software includes email and organiser apps, ActiveSync 4.0, Pocket MSN, Pocket Word and Excel.

Wrapping up the package is a pair of stereo headphones, a 3.5mm jack connector, USB charging cable and case.

The whole caboodle weighs in at 285g including the removable battery. Pricing is yet to be confirmed.

Source: http://digital-lifestyles.info/displ...tforms&id=2461
Wicked!!!

I have an XDA II myself, and most of my complaints were already answered by the subsequent updates they released, but I never bothered to lay out any cash for them because they were not worth the extra quid.

This, however, is enough to prompt me to actually bring out my wallet and run up a nice lovely credit debt!

What a machine. Definitely something I want to receive from Santa.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
antonioledesma
Regular User

an aprox idea of how much money it will be?
how much did your xda costed?
should be great to have one, but isn't offered here in the third world
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:22 PM   #3
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by antonioledesma
an aprox idea of how much money it will be?
how much did your xda costed?
should be great to have one, but isn't offered here in the third world
You can order it online anyway, and they should deliver it to you.

You can check www.myxda.com to see if they are available at an area near you.

The german T-mobile site is asking 700+ Euros for the handset, which should mean about £600 or so... about US$1200 maybe?

My XDAII was £370 new, handset only, but I bought mine in SE Asia. Honestly, I would be very surprised if they charged double for the XDA Exec.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:33 PM   #4
antonioledesma
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
You can check www.myxda.com to see if they are available at an area near you.
area near me...mm, europe :roll:
well... if any of my friends goes this or next year to europe I'll ask them to bring me that toy.
thanks!
Old 09-02-2005, 12:29 AM   #5
Sir_GT
Regular User

It's really more like a miniature PC that you can use just like a mobilephone.

I was still in university when I just bought my XDA, and my professor thought it was a calculator (which we were allowed to use), little did he know that I had an excel document sitting in it with all the formulas I needed already set.

All I had to do was input the variables of the problem, and voila, out came the answer.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:58 AM   #6
antonioledesma
Regular User

it's great when you have more than a simple calculator and the teachers don't have a clue of what you have in your hands.
I'm looking for a smart phone that can keep everything I need in one simple device. It's a pain in the ass to travel around with a palm, mobile, digicam, etc. And this might be the big one
Old 09-02-2005, 07:43 AM   #7
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by antonioledesma
it's great when you have more than a simple calculator and the teachers don't have a clue of what you have in your hands.
I'm looking for a smart phone that can keep everything I need in one simple device. It's a pain in the ass to travel around with a palm, mobile, digicam, etc. And this might be the big one
It also does MP3's, and has an Aux jack when you buy it.

Stick in a 1GB SD card or CF card, and you've got an iPod Shuffle that can take photos, do video calls, full internet (except probably flash), sms, bluetooth... the list just goes on...

Brilliant machine really. My unit actually has a Super Nintendo emulator on it, and I can play full versions of Super Punch Out, Mario, Zelda, etc.

Thing is, the XDA Exec is far quicker than my unit, and with more memory, and a better OS. The games on this thing will absolutely fly.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #8
evoWalo
Regular User

Sorry but the thing's rubbish. PDAs in general are rubbish whether it be Palm or PocketPCs. They're not as full featured as laptops, almost as worse as tablet pcs and are heavier than a calculator.

Bet it crashes and infects itself like stink.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:54 PM   #9
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by evoWALO
Sorry but the thing's rubbish. PDAs in general are rubbish whether it be Palm or PocketPCs. They're not as full featured as laptops, almost as worse as tablet pcs and are heavier than a calculator.

Bet it crashes and infects itself like stink.
Actually my dear friend, this time we shall disagree. It rarely does crash.

I used to own quite a few Symbian OS-based phones, including smartphones (everything from Nokia, to Sony Ericsson, to Samsung), and those are rubbish, especially compared to the WinMobile-based XDA series.

That's why I've had my XDAII for 2 years already, and only put up with my old P800 for 3 months.

The Windows Mobile platform is actually far more stable as a smartphone platform than the Symbian one, even though it isn't what you would call a dedicated mobile platform.

The only time it may crash is if you run too many large programs simultaneously. (i.e. calendar, media player, camera, and sms)

As long as you have a task manager to shut down the background programs, it's really very stable.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:25 PM   #10
antonioledesma
Regular User

Originally Posted by evoWALO
have you ever fully used a pda? when you want simple calcs with excel, catch a note, record an idea, etc and don't want to reach for your laptop it's a great thing.
in an economics class I only carried my pda which occupied a 1/10th of a laptop's size. Imagine small chairs, your exam occupies 90% of the available space... now try using your laptop, and your calculator
i even could start my homework on my pda while waiting for next class and not carrying my 5 pounds laptop
with a pda you want it to be a simple laptop, digicam, notebook, etc. in a small package
Old 09-02-2005, 02:25 PM   #11
evoWalo
Regular User

I've owned and fully used half a dozen Palm PDAs and after all the hype... it's just blah. Twiddled with a number of PocketPCs and the only diff is that you can play more multimedia.

Worsed thing about it is... it depreciates faster than a brick falling into a blackhole. Then again I preffer typing.

I almost forgot... the battery lifespan gets more horrible every generation. A IIIc lasted me a week or two before I had to recharge while a Tungsten T lasts maybe 2-3 days at the same rate of use? I'm afraid to even speculate how much juice a Lifedrive needs.

Then again if space is an issue then the limitations are OK.
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #12
antonioledesma
Regular User

you like them really big, don't you??
of course when I had to stay all day at school I carried my laptop. but when you're at the move, a pda is the best choice
Old 09-02-2005, 05:08 PM   #13
Sir_GT
Regular User

Well, I agree with the battery life. You've always got to have a charger or a spare battery, otherwise everything gets wiped clean.

Still, I would put up with that. There's always the car charger and extra docking station remedy in case you travel a lot.

Depreciation is an issue with any phone anyway. Nokia's and Sony's fare the worst, because they're only worth half their value in 6 months.

With the PDA smartphones, it takes a full year for you to lose about 40% of the value. The demand is so high, but because prices are seriously high as well, the supply remains fairly stretched, so you can always sell your unit on ebay for a very good price.

Well, all I can say is that I'm a steadfast defender of the XDA series.

I just can't imagine using another kind of smartphone after this, because it would feel like downgrading. I mean, you're paying for possibly the fastest PDA on the market, faster than even the dedicated ones without the ability to double as a tri-band mobile, then throw in the fairly large built in memory, and the expandability for 1GB CF and SD cards... plus an Aux jack like an iPod, the ability to play movies, mp3, wma, etc. A fairly adequate camera, a videocam for video calling, touch screen, voice recorder, video recorder, bluetooth, IR, 3G, GPS/GPRS, WiFi... then you've got pocket excel, word, powerpoint, and then fully functional versions of yahoo messenger and msn, and...

the list goes on and on...

It's a lot of money, but it's a lot of tech for the money.

Also, big points when you take down somebody's number at the pub, especially for business reasons. One "flip'n swivel" and you'll have clients knocking at your door.