Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Default ¿Who is the most proper driver to remplace Gronholm?

Thats the point

Once Marcus has dediced publicly to retire, which driver do you think is the most proper one to complete the ford team?

My opinion is very clear; Mr Latvala, very fast indeed in every surface, very young, and it seems that he´s started to finish the races

Although there have been many rumours that Solberg is clearly the best candidate to remplace Gronholm, I dont agree at all; of course he is a very fast driver, but IMO he is overrated, and I havent seen him making any progress thoroughout the last 5 years, I even see that his progress has been going backwards little a little
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Its not a bad idea at all to contract mr Galli since he is very fast whatever the surface is, in addition I see Jan Kopecky another good choice

However, I dont see other popular drivers for many reasons such as Henning or Petter Solberg, Toni Gardemeister, and so on
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Hirvonen has really surprised me. He's pretty much able to run with the 2 top guys, so it's just a matter of time(experience).b
Old 09-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I think Hirvonen's pretty good, but I don't know if he can be the #1 man material. If BP-Ford team focuses (no pun intended) on him more, I think he can do it.

And I'd say no to Solberg. I don't want him to bring his damning curse to Ford and ruin their championships.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

I wonder if Solberg will go.... I also wonder at the rate of improvement that Pastrona is making these days...
Old 09-14-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
I wonder if Solberg will go.... I also wonder at the rate of improvement that Pastrona is making these days...
Pastrana will never be at the level of these gyus, even rolling over a retired McRae is as fast as him.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
Mattk
Regular User

Latvala is looking to be a prospect for the future. Ford would do well to sign him up and groom him alongside Hirvonen.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas

As for Pastrana, I don't see him in WRC. That would be a good option for Subaru for example, since the american market is very important for them, but on the other hand, there's almost no interest in rallying in the US... plus I don't see him at the level of the WRC guys, no matter how fast he is in Red Bull X-Games or Race of Champions superstages... :bah:
I guess you guys haven't been reading or hearing about him actually competing in WRC events this year? making some decent finishes. the x-games competition was good to bring rally to some new fans.. but hardly something worthy of calling WRC competitive...

He's made TREMENDOUS improvement this year alone! I wouldn't count im out of competing on the top of world stage just yet.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Don't think they sign Kopecky, he's just in the WRC because he's czech and Skoda Czech supports his car

Solberg would be a good "safer" option, and I think he would be a great complement to the already experienced Hirvonen that would be a good team, and a serious candidate to the championship, if the Focus keeps improving

Latvala is a too young IMO, but that could be a very good "risky" move that I'm sure nobody would regret at Ford if someone in WRC has potential that's him.

As for Pastrana, I don't see him in WRC. That would be a good option for Subaru for example, since the american market is very important for them, but on the other hand, there's almost no interest in rallying in the US... plus I don't see him at the level of the WRC guys, no matter how fast he is in Red Bull X-Games or Race of Champions superstages... :bah:
Solberg and safe do not go together, not with his luck or lack thereof. Henning already drives a Focus though. How about Gardemeister? He can even make the lowly Evo place in the top 8 every now and then.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #10
HeilSvenska
Regular User

As for Pastrana, I don't see him in WRC.
Hahaha. Who brought him up? That's just laughable.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
V12_for_ever
Regular User

François Duval

look what he's doing with the old xsara... and a very little budget from kronos!
V12_for_ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #12
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by V12_for_ever
François Duval

look what he's doing with the old xsara... and a very little budget from kronos!
Duval is very inconsistent and only performs well on tarmac.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
jakaracman
Regular User

Galli or Pastrana ...
Old 10-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #14
sameerrao
Regular User

So Gronholm is retiring this year! Sad - he was always fun to watch.

I am totally out of touch with WRC for the last two years mostly because of the lack of coverage on US TV.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
dannyroz
Regular User

I think they'll move Hirvonen into number 1 spot and pick up Latvala...Ford loves taken risks on young drivers and it would be perfect...

Hirvonen had time in the car, is very quick and consistent

Latvala is new and quite fast but not reliable yet, and he will learn that at Ford.

Why wouldnt they do this?